• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Well the sky fell...

1. Hire Scott Frost
2. Behead Steve Pederson (bonus point if it ends up on a pike)
3. Poison Riley (Big Red Wedding?)
4. Feed Eichorst to Ramsey Bolten's dogs
5. Give Perlman the Walder Frey treatment (does he have any sons?)
6. The usurper Callahan could use the Theon Greyjoy makeover (ouch)
7. Watching the Frost Walkers unleash their carnage, 1st the Wall (B1G west), then Winterfell (the B1G 10 title) and finally all of Westeros (NCAA)!

And lets stomp CU by 70 just for fun!

(Apologies to GoT)

:Biggrin:

" So say we all!"

Those streaks don't mean a thing if we can get back to relevance. It will be part of a bigger story. Stanley and Divine should have been drafted. Heck, I thought Farmer would go. We will get there. We need to focus on the college football side of things first, NFL second.

- William "Husker" Adama

2zod6z.jpg

Why so negative always? How about we enjoy the fact that Sioux Falls has started a streak?

Just did some quick addition of the home attendance for the Sioux Falls Cougars last season (the team Trey Pipkins played for who was drafted by the Los Angeles Chargers in the third round): over 6 home games the attendance was 9,478!!! That is not per game average that is total. I realize these draft anomalies occur but just think about that for a minute. I am pretty bummed the streak is over too. Michigan is at 81.

Programs with players drafted:

Washburn University
Tarleton State
University of Charleston
University of Sioux Falls
Eastern Michigan
Western Illinois
Louisiana Tech
North Dakota State
Charlotte
Northern Illinois
Fresno State
Temple
Toledo

For many years I sat in row 82 of the North Stadium and watched NU trample teams with vastly lesser talent. Now, the tables are turned. Why?

My theory is that we got away from the components that made us great. First, and foremost on the list, was hiring coaches from outside the program, who did not understand the standards and traditions regarding the culture of Nebraska football. Say what you will, but the panic and ego of Steve Pederson firing Frank Solich was the beginning of the slide to where e are now. I understand that the game evolves. But, why go away from success?

Secondly, the numerous coaches following Frank tried to bring their own brand of football and attempted to recruit bling players to support their own concepts. They did not recruit to maintain a consistent physical base identity of talented physical athletes who were coachable and dedicated to the team concept.

Thirdly, the disbanding of “walk on” players, especially in state or regional players, who through hard work, could realize their dreams of getting on the field and making a legitimate contribution to team goals. This was a monumental mistake. There was a time when every kid in Nebraska would have given their all to be part of the program.

Lastly, football is a physical game that is dominated by physical line play, both sides of the line of scrimmage. The game is literally won or lost with line play. Nebraska’s football identity was its physical dominance. The “flash and dash guys” are only as successful as their linemen let them be successful.

To be honest could not care less about this particular streak. The streak I want to start is getting back to winning seasons, being ranked, playing in CCG and decent bowl games. When we accomplish that there will be plenty of our players getting drafted by the NFL..........

Why so negative always? How about we enjoy the fact that Sioux Falls has started a streak?
Excellent point. If you want to talk about pressure, how about Trey Pipkins of the University of Sioux Falls staring down the barrel of history in knowing that every alum of Sioux Falls who has ever been drafted has played in the NFL for at least 15 years*. That kind of pressure barely makes the big paycheck worth it, right?

*That would be Brian Hansen, P, drafted in '84 by the Saints, played through '99. Great all-around guy, fwiw.

Just did some quick addition of the home attendance for the Sioux Falls Cougars last season (the team Trey Pipkins played for who was drafted by the Los Angeles Chargers in the third round): over 6 home games the attendance was 9,478!!! That is not per game average that is total.
Fwiw, this is a kid who slipped by a lot of teams that are very, very good at finding his kind of talent and ability. He went to high school in Apple Valley, MN, which is a suburb of Minneapolis; that tells you already that UofM whiffed on him, but that's kind of been a pattern with them for several decades. What folks may not realize is how hard the Twin Cities and surroundings get picked over by teams like NDSU, UND, SDSU, and a whole slug of Wisconsin and Minnesota schools. High school kids like him often get found by accident. I would guess that either a high school coach had a connection to USF and told them to take him, or he showed up on film of some other D-2 caliber D-lineman who was being man-handled by him in some game that was otherwise not noteworthy. You'd be amazed at how little film it takes for a college to call or email a coach and ask for more info.

The good recruiting systems cast a wide net early in the process.
Yes, they do, and that's impressive enough, but I mean even beyond that. Even the smallest college programs with the least resources are combing everywhere, looking for prospects. I was coaching a team from a very small school in very rural South Dakota that was awful a few years back. We played another very rural small-school team that was undefeated, and they showed why, beating us by 50 points at halftime and ending the game early. They had a few players on their team that were NAIA caliber, with one or two linemen who were potentially D-2. On Monday I had 2 coaches contact me--an NAIA and a D-III--asking for information and more game film on one of my Guards. They had been watching one of the stud D-lineman from the other team (in a 50+ blowout that was over at halftime, mind you), and they had seen my Guard man-handle him on several plays when he had tried to shoot a gap. My guy had taken him to the ground several times. My coaches and I had noticed, too, as it had been the first time in his high school career that the kid had actually performed in a game. He was a classic example of Tarzan all week, but Jane on Fridays.

I sent them the film, and the interest quietly went away. He had some behavior issues, so I didn't really want to either cut him down or lie for him, so I was glad that I wasn't asked about him. Apparently they called his principal, watched some film and decided that it wasn't worth the risk. That kid had never signed up for anything to be recruited, and had never done anything to get his name out, yet they still called to ask about him based on approximately 2 good offensive series in one half of a blowout loss in tiny high school football in remote South Dakota. Notice that I haven't said where the schools were? The D-3 was a Minneapolis school, and the NAIA was an eastern Iowa school. Neither had ever contacted me before, and to this day I know of no connections between those schools and any other programs or coaches in the region.

If you have the film, they will find you.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back