• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Weird Season in Lincoln says Dienhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

The national media hasn't been particularly kind to Bo Pelini following the Iowa game circus. Even some of the BTN guys.

Weird. No other word better describes this season. The campaign dawned amid great promise, as Nebraska was coming off a Legends Division title. Much of that same talent was back, fueling hopes for the program’s first league title since 1999.

Alas, the defense often looked a lot like it did in 2012, getting gashed for big yards/points after the staff made myriad vows to “fix things.â€￾

And the offense struggled to find a rhythm with quarterback Taylor Martinez succumbing to injury that limited him to four games. Sprinkle in plenty of drama surrounding Bo Pelini—the highlight being the mysterious release after a brutal September home loss to UCLA of a salacious 2011 audio recording of a profane Pelini ripping fans–and you have the makings of a classic soap opera.

Despite the theatrics, the Huskers still were in position late in the season to win the Legends. Amazing.

http://btn.com/2013/12/24/season-review-it-was-a-weird-season-in-lincoln/

Pretty fair and concise assessment.

The 2013 season has seemed like it has gone on for years and years.

The week after UCLA, the week before Iowa and the 24 hours from 11 am November 29 to 11 am November 30 accentuated the weirdness.

I am ready for some normality regarding Nebraska football...whatever that may be.

He actually seemed to use two words to describe the season "weird" and "amazing"...I think "standard" or "normal" fits better.

Last edited:
"weird" is actually an appropriate description, ... + really disappointed we didn't get to see Martinez & Long enjoy their senior campaign.

"weird" is actually an appropriate description, ... + really disappointed we didn't get to see Martinez & Long enjoy their senior campaign.

I'm disappointed in that as well.

"Weird" is a good word. "Theatrical," from the linked article, is another good one. :Biggrin:

If there is a silver lining from losing Long and TM for the season, it should give us an advantage heading into the 2014 season.

It was a weird season given all the off the field drama. The consistent 9-4 season, yet coupled with consistent sliding in the rankings is sort of like the person who continues making the same hourly wage each year, but, due to inflation slips behind in real earning power. (ok, odd analogy). At some point NU simply has to win a greater proportion of "big" and meaningful games.

If there is a silver lining from losing Long and TM for the season, it should give us an advantage heading into the 2014 season.

I wish I could agree with you here HWM, while it is true some backup's got a lot of rep's because of this, I'll be surprised if those players are FT starters next year.

my greatest fear is that we'll be having this exact same discussion next year at this time.
Fear? It's pretty much a given right? The fear is we will be expected to not only like the position we are endlessly stuck in, but beg for more pain for what seems like an eternity now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back