• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked We Have Been Blessed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boro Husker

Junior Varsity
10 Year Member
To have had a run of exceptional kickers, both punting and place kicking! Look at Alabama who can just about get any player they want these days and see if they wouldn't trade some of those 5* players for someone who could kick a FG! That's cost them a couple times over the last few years, most recently last Saturday. This year was kind of an up and down year for NU in both punting and place kicking, some missed XP's and FG's but they came through against Penn State and Bondi has been nothing but solid all year on kickoffs. Hopefully Foltz will get better in pressure situations and develop Alex Henery style of being a cold blooded killer punting to inside the 20! Looking forward to seeing what our new freshman kicker will bring next year as well!

To have had a run of exceptional kickers, both punting and place kicking! Look at Alabama who can just about get any player they want these days and see if they wouldn't trade some of those 5* players for someone who could kick a FG! That's cost them a couple times over the last few years, most recently last Saturday. This year was kind of an up and down year for NU in both punting and place kicking, some missed XP's and FG's but they came through against Penn State and Bondi has been nothing but solid all year on kickoffs. Hopefully Foltz will get better in pressure situations and develop Alex Henery style of being a cold blooded killer punting to inside the 20! Looking forward to seeing what our new freshman kicker will bring next year as well!

Yeah, and hopefully we will start winning national titles or having 1 loss seasons like Alabama and their crappy fg kicker! :)

Just to add a little perspective here, Bama's kicker was 11-12 on FGs before Saturday's game and one of his misses on Saturday was a blocked kick. It's not like he's a stiff, the kid just had a bad day.

Last edited:

If we only had a better kicker in 1993.

Byron Bennett, please allow me to apologize now in case you read these boards and this might send you into a deep depression. It was long ago and 3 titles have made us almost forget the end of the '94 Orange Bowl. Have a great day.:)

Last edited:
Dude, your on the wrong board! ;)

Evidently! :nod: Such vitriol for an innocent post about how blessed we are to have had guys like the Browns, Henery, et al. Kickers can have a bad day but when they do it in a game of such importance, both from a MNC and rivalry standpoint, they DO get noticed! I promise you there are people in Alabama who are asking the same question tonight. Judging from the looks on some of the Tide fans faces yesterday, some of them probably had to be talked in off the ledge last night! But hey, let's all go back to the Bo Go/No Go argument. That's a whole lot more productive! :Biggrin:

We have been extremely fortunate to have such gifted kickers! How many have been walk-ons?

Maybe Pat Smith is next? Either way week in and week out we see teams forced to go for 4th and long situations instead of attempting fg's of 40-45 yards when you know the coach would love to take the points. The luxury of a good kicker has won us a few games over the years!

Kicker U! :)

Last edited:
Agreed. I know it's been said before, but I'd love to see what Henery, Josh Brown, Kris Brown, Pat Smith, or anybody short of Jordan Congdon would have done with Byron Bennett's FG against FSU. I'd wager that of the four names I listed, at least three would make the kick with no questions asked.

35 yard shanks simply do not cut it. We need to recruit serious kickers. You cannot simply ask the players to line up on the first day of practice and punt/place kick for you to see who is going to be your premier kickers.

Last edited:
Anyone have the stats on how many times we downed a punt inside the 15 this year? It felt to me like there were so many times that the yardage should have been perfect for a chance to pin em' deep and they ended up with the ball between the 18 and 25. I agree we've had some stone cold punters that I often took for granted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back