• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WBB Game #21 vs Purdue, @PBA, Wed, 1/31/24, 7:00pm CST, BTN+ (Game Thread)

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Nebraska Cornhuskers (13-7, 5-4 Big Ten)
vs. Purdue Boilermakers (9-11, 2-7 Big Ten)
Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2024, 7 p.m. (CT)
Pinnacle Bank Arena - Lincoln, Nebraska
Tickets:
Huskers.com / 1-800-8-BIG-RED
Television: NPM World - Ana Bellinghausen and Kara Graham on the call
Live Video Stream: B1G+
Live Radio: Huskers Radio Network (6:30 p.m.) Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Halftime: Steve Max: Master of Simon Sez
The Nebraska women’s basketball team opens an important two-game home stand this week after coming off a 92-73 road loss at No. 5 Iowa on Saturday.

Nebraska is 9-2 inside Pinnacle Bank Arena this season with its only losses to No. 22 Creighton (Nov. 19) and No. 14 Indiana (Jan. 7). The Boilermakers also have been a strong 8-3 on their home court at Mackey Arena with their only losses to co-Big Ten leaders Iowa, Indiana and Ohio State, but Purdue is just 1-8 away from home, including 1-6 in true road games.

Scouting The Purdue Boilermakers
Third-year head coach Katie Gearlds led Purdue to NCAA First Four last season, finishing with a 19-11 overall record that included a 9-8 Big Ten mark. This season, Purdue worked its way to a 6-3 start, but has gone just 3-8 since with six consecutive Big Ten losses since a 77-76 win over Rutgers in West Lafayette, Ind. (Jan. 2).

Purdue has missed the mid-range production of 2022-23 graduate guard Lasha Petree, who averaged a team-best 14.7 points per game last year. She led the Boilers with 111 two-point baskets last season and also ranked second on the team with 77 made free throws.

As a team, Purdue is averaging 68.7 points while allowing 68.9 points per game The Boilermakers have hit just 42.2 percent of their shots from the field, but have hit a strong 34.1 percent of their threes. They are also a solid 77.6 percent at the free throw line. Defensively, Purdue opponents are hitting 42.6 percent from the field, including a sizzling 35.5 percent from three and 77.4 percent at the free throw line. Purdue is basically even with the opposition on the boards and in the turnover department.

1st Qtr Stats:

1706750668662.png

Here are a couple of comments I saw elsewhere re the Purdue Game I thought worth repeating.
(Sorry that I wasn't able to watch it :()

On To Rutgers!!! (@PBA :nod: ):Gobigred:

At one point in the 3rd qtr we had a 14 pt lead. And all of a sudden our lead shrunk to 7...... and there was only one starter in the game.
Put most of the starters back in and what do you know.....in about 5 min we're back to 14 pt lead.
Moriarty probably played her best game of the year and I really do not think she is anywhere near her ceiling cause of her athleticism. White played down hill which is what I've been waiting for since the B1G season started. Nice win and some defensive lapses in the first half give us much to build on.
AM was relentless in the first half and that set the tone. Love her determination. The tempo and guard play reminded me of the Michigan game, and I think we play our best basketball when it looks like this. Potts had a great 2nd half and gave us the effort on the boards that we haven’t seen the past couple games from her.
I do not see this team as a glass half empty but a glass half full with the potential for more.

1706824254085.png

Lincoln - Alexis Markowski and Darian White each scored 14 points to lead a balanced offense with five Huskers in double figures, as Nebraska worked its way to a 68-54 women's basketball win over Purdue on Wednesday night at Pinnacle Bank Arena.
  • Natalie Potts added 11 points, six rebounds and a game-high four steals, while Kendall Moriarty matched her career high with 11 points off the bench. Jaz Shelley rounded out the five Huskers in double figures with 10 points, a game-high nine rebounds and four assists to help Nebraska improve to 6-4 in the Big Ten and 14-7 overall. Purdue slipped to 2-8 in the conference and 9-12 on the season.
  • The Nebraska defense was solid throughout the night, holding Purdue to 29 points in the first half and just 25 in the second half. The Huskers were plus-13 on the glass in the final 20 minutes, finishing the game with a 44-32 edge on the boards.
For the game, Nebraska hit 42.4 percent (25-59) of its shots, including 7-of-22 three-pointers (.318) and 11-of-17 free throws (.647). The Huskers held Purdue to just 36.1 percent (22-61) from the floor, including 4-for-21 (.190) from long range and 6-of-8 free throws. Purdue did win the turnover battle, 13-12.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back