• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WBB Game #20 at Iowa, Sat, 1/27/24, 1:00pm CST, BTN (Game Thread)

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
1706217297881.png

Nebraska Cornhuskers (13-6, 5-3 Big Ten)
at 5/5 Iowa Hawkeyes (18-2, 7-1 Big Ten)
Saturday, Jan. 27, 2024, 1 p.m. (CT)
Carver-Hawkeye Arena - Iowa City, Iowa
Television:
BTN (Sloane Martin & Brenda VanLengen)
Live Radio: Huskers Radio Network (12:30 p.m.) Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)

Nebraska is coming off an 82-73 loss at Penn State last Sunday, while Iowa is coming off its first Big Ten loss of the season with a 100-92 overtime setback at No. 18 Ohio State.
  • Alexis Markowski, 6-3 center, produced her Big Ten-leading 12th double-double with 16 points and a career-high 19 rebounds at Penn State.
  • Jaz Shelley added 12 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists and a career-high six steals against the Lady Lions. She hit her 200th three-pointer as a Husker at Penn State.
  • Grad transfer Darian White also had 12 points as well as 2 rebounds and 3 assists.

Scouting the No. 5 Iowa Hawkeyes
Coach Lisa Bluder brings a top five Iowa team into Saturday’s game against Nebraska at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Iowa is 18-2 overall and 7-1 in the Big Ten after suffering its first Big Ten loss in a 100-92 overtime setback at No. 18 Ohio State last Sunday.
  • All-American Caitlin Clark headlines the Hawkeyes.
  • A nation-leading 31.7 points, while adding 7.7 assists, 7.0 rebounds and 1.7 steals.
  • Clark is coming off a season-high 45 points in the loss at Ohio State.
  • In seven career games against Nebraska, Clark has averaged 34.3 points, 8.9 rebounds and 7.9 assists.
Iowa possesses one of the most explosive offenses in the nation, averaging 90.9 points while shooting 50.5 percent from the field and 36.9 percent from three-point range. Iowa carries a plus-23.7 scoring margin, a plus-9.9 rebound margin and a plus-1.3 turnover margin. The Hawkeyes are averaging 91.0 points on 50 percent shooting in Big Ten play, including 39.2 percent from three-point range. They own a plus-6.9 rebound margin in league action.

Last edited:

Gotta play against the queen!! If it was me, I would have Coley and/or Moriarty guard her and dog her all over the court and get in her head!! If they foul out, they foul out. Like Rhule says, if we die, we die!

Gotta play against the queen!! If it was me, I would have Coley and/or Moriarty guard her and dog her all over the court and get in her head!! If they foul out, they foul out. Like Rhule says, if we die, we die!

I'll be at the game as my wife is an Iowa grad with season tickets. So, here's my scouting report based on attending many of the Hawkeye home games.

In my opinion, Coley wouldn't be quick enough to be effective. Clark moves very well without the ball and is faster/quicker than you may first think.

Frankly, I think we'll have matchup problems all over the court. Goes without saying that Clark is a nightmare for anyone. Markowski is probably a slightly better pure post player than Hannah Stuelke; but, Stuelke is much quicker in her post moves and will be running up and down the floor. Iowa's backup centers are solid and tall. We'll probably see Iowa's very good top defender, Gaby Marshall, defending Shelly.

I think the summary above focuses on the right two stats = rebounding and three point shooting. Iowa is very good across their roster at rebounding, including Clark who gets enough to have those frequent triple doubles. Huskers will need to be boxing out and aggressively hitting the boards. Both Iowa and Nebraska can be streaky on the three pointers. Clark will take and make her share; we'll need to keep the other Hawkeyes from getting open looks. Gaby Marshall has been heating up and both Kate Martin and Molly Davis have made important shots when needed.

I do think Iowa is a little over-rated, but they can beat anybody if the non-Clark players make their shots. It is a sellout crowd and I honestly do not see this being a close game in Iowa City unless Nebraska gets really hot from the outside.

Last edited:
I'll be at the game as my wife is an Iowa grad with season tickets. So, here's my scouting report based on attending many of the Hawkeye home games.

In my opinion, Coley wouldn't be quick enough to be effective. Clark moves very well without the ball and is faster/quicker than you may first think.

Frankly, I think we'll have matchup problems all over the court. Goes without saying that Clark is a nightmare for anyone. Markowski is probably a slightly better pure post player than Hannah Stuelke; but, Stuelke is much quicker in her post moves and will be running up and down the floor. Iowa's backup centers are solid and tall. We'll probably see Iowa's very good top defender, Gaby Marshall, defending Shelly.

I think the summary above focuses on the right two stats = rebounding and three point shooting. Iowa is very good across their roster at rebounding, including Clark who gets enough to have those frequent triple doubles. Huskers will need to be boxing out and aggressively hitting the boards. Both Iowa and Nebraska can be streaky on the three pointers. Clark will take and make her share; we'll need to keep the other Hawkeyes from getting open looks. Gaby Marshall has been heating up and both Kate Martin and Molly Davis have made important shots when needed.

I do think Iowa is a little over-rated, but they can beat anybody if the non-Clark players make their shots. It is a sellout crowd and I honestly do not see this being a close game in Iowa City unless Nebraska gets really hot from the outside.
Yeah most likely a blowout! We aren't quick enough to stop them. They would have to have an off day. Clark is great player but I hate the theatrics!

Yeah most likely a blowout! We aren't quick enough to stop them. They would have to have an off day. Clark is great player but I hate the theatrics!
Mixed feelings on the theatrics. She's a showman and brings excitement to the game. In her interviews, she shows respect for the game and understands her popularity is growing the game. She is quick to give her teammates credit.

She takes it a little too far at times, but also is ok with playing the villian in a tough road environment.

Mixed feelings on the theatrics. She's a showman and brings excitement to the game. In her interviews, she shows respect for the game and understands her popularity is growing the game. She is quick to give her teammates credit.

She takes it a little too far at times, but also is ok with playing the villian in a tough road environment.
Especially at home, she gets a lot of calls in her favor, but most great players do!

Especially at home, she gets a lot of calls in her favor, but most great players do!
Referees who favor one over another have no respect from me. This is a team game; treat all the same.
But, that will never happen. Favoritism in the pros is prevalent, also. It is what it is.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back