• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Way too early roster guesses

HuSkaBob

Husker Geek
10 Year Member
I'm wondering who plays for Nebrasketball next year. I know there will be announcements and transfers coming up. This is just for guessing. Since Nebraska is kind of playing positionless basketball, the Guard / Forward / Center thing is from the official roster. I lined out guys I don't think return.

Guards:

Trey McGowans
Elijah Wood
Shamiel Stevenson
Kobe Webster

Jace Piatkowski
Chris McGraw
Thorir Thorbjarnarson
Dalano Banton
Bryce McGowans
Keisei Tominaga

Forwards:

Lat Mayen
Derrick Walker
Trevor Lakes
Yvan Ouedraogo?
Akol Arop?
Bret Porter
Wilhelm Breidenbach

Center:
Eduardo Andre

I think Arop would have already left if he intended to, or if Hoiberg told him he didn't have a chance to play. I don't know if Yvan is driven by playing time for next year: right now he's a bit of a liability when he's out there. Would make sense to me for him to redshirt and shoot 200 free throws a day as well as contested laying and dunks.

I don't think Webster comes back, even though he became the go-to guy at the end of the year. I think Stevenson will see that he's not going to get more playing time next year unless he starts making free throws, starts hitting open threes, gets more rebounds, and/or stops turning the ball over (a lot to ask). If Elijah Wood couldn't break into this lineup, he's not going to next year unless he makes a huge improvement. That might have been part of the agreement for him to re-class and come to UNL early, so this season may have been part of the plan as well as being a freebie.

What's your guess?

You think Thor's coming back? He is good enough to go make a half a million a year in the Lithuanian league. I hope he does but I am not sure he does.

This is the first year sine 2018 that a walk-on didn't start a a game for the basketball team, so that's something.

Some good, interesting thoughts.

-Wood needed time to develop physically, so I’m not sure the staff was thinking he was going to contribute much this year. Toss in he’s a buddy of the McGowans and peer recruited, and he might stick around. He’s a better player to practice against than any of our walkons.

-Shamiel is a bummer. He has moments that show he’s got some serious ability to play in the B1G, but his game just hasn’t been able to get over the hump. Some of that is on Fred, some is on him.

-Kobe is an unknown for me. He showed a steadying hand that we needed at times. His size creates some challenges in Fred’s system, but he showed he can be a key role player if not a starter.

- I don’t see Thorir coming back. He’s not an NBA player, and another year isn’t going to change his game substantially in the eyes of the Euro leagues.

- I wonder if Banton is willing to accept the role he’s been moved to the last half of the season. He might feel he can find greener pastures. I didn’t like his body language of late.

- I don’t see Yvan staying. His size and inability to finish have moved him down the rotation. He can likely head to Europe and make a roster that earns him a check.

-Walker makes me a little nervous, as I love his savvy. And I can’t recall if Lakes is in scholarship, but he might be a casualty if he is. I still think he can play a role in limited minutes, but we might need that spot if he’s getting financial aid.

-Please keep Andre and Lat happy, as I see both being players for us going forward.

Guards:

Trey McGowans
Elijah Wood
Shamiel Stevenson
Kobe Webster

Jace Piatkowski
Chris McGraw
Thorir Thorbjarnarson
Dalano Banton
Bryce McGowans
Keisei Tominaga

Forwards:

Lat Mayen
Derrick Walker
Trevor Lakes
Yvan Ouedraogo?
Akol Arop?
Bret Porter
Wilhelm Breidenbach

Center:
Eduardo Andre

Just FYI, Lakes is on scholarship. Porter is already gone, fwiw. There will be attrition. There needs to be. Still need a substantial upgrade in talent. We will not be quiet in the transfer market, once again. Hopefully soon we will be able to lesson the turnover, but we’re not there yet. Guessing Thor and Webster move on, Thor the more likely of the two. Yvan, Wood and Lakes, Stevenson all in the move on discussion. Arop possible also but in a less likely category than those 4. Banton’s inability to shoot from outside and at the line is a problem in Fred’s offense, but I think he stays.

Some good, interesting thoughts.

-Wood needed time to develop physically, so I’m not sure the staff was thinking he was going to contribute much this year. Toss in he’s a buddy of the McGowans and peer recruited, and he might stick around. He’s a better player to practice against than any of our walkons.

-Shamiel is a bummer. He has moments that show he’s got some serious ability to play in the B1G, but his game just hasn’t been able to get over the hump. Some of that is on Fred, some is on him.

-Kobe is an unknown for me. He showed a steadying hand that we needed at times. His size creates some challenges in Fred’s system, but he showed he can be a key role player if not a starter.

- I don’t see Thorir coming back. He’s not an NBA player, and another year isn’t going to change his game substantially in the eyes of the Euro leagues.

- I wonder if Banton is willing to accept the role he’s been moved to the last half of the season. He might feel he can find greener pastures. I didn’t like his body language of late.

- I don’t see Yvan staying. His size and inability to finish have moved him down the rotation. He can likely head to Europe and make a roster that earns him a check.

-Walker makes me a little nervous, as I love his savvy. And I can’t recall if Lakes is in scholarship, but he might be a casualty if he is. I still think he can play a role in limited minutes, but we might need that spot if he’s getting financial aid.

-Please keep Andre and Lat happy, as I see both being players for us going forward.
If Walker can hit a 15 footer, he can play power forward next to Andre if Nebraska needed to play big for a while. I think that Walker can find a place in the rotation.

For Banton, I think he has the opportunity to continue trying to become a PG while playing some forward minutes. He's a decent rebounder, but he doesn't have much mass to keep people from working him close to the basket. I don't think he starts at Point next year for Nebraska - I think that is Trey's job now.

Do the Hoiberg twins walk-on next year?

If Walker can hit a 15 footer, he can play power forward next to Andre if Nebraska needed to play big for a while. I think that Walker can find a place in the rotation.

For Banton, I think he has the opportunity to continue trying to become a PG while playing some forward minutes. He's a decent rebounder, but he doesn't have much mass to keep people from working him close to the basket. I don't think he starts at Point next year for Nebraska - I think that is Trey's job now.

Do the Hoiberg twins walk-on next year?

Walker will definitely be in the rotation. Can defend and rebound in the Big. Can run the pick and roll with him. High basketball IQ, good passer. But he will never be hitting the 15 footer.

I can’t see Stevenson or Yvan here next year. The minutes will be limited. I would think Arop would move on, but he’s a local kid so you never know. Wood...have no idea but minutes for him will be minimal next year. I expect Banton to be back.

So far, Ouedraogo, Arop and Wood have left their scholarships behind. I think that means that Nebraska has 2 scholarships open for next year, as they had over-signed by 1.

It looks like there are currently three Four open scholarships, maybe four depending on NCAA ruling regarding Trevor Lakes if he returns. (I think we'll see some good pick-ups in the transfer market as there seems to be quite a few high profile players entering the portal ;))

EDIT: @ 3/19/21 NCAA has ruled that Trevor Lakes won't count against Husker Scholarship limit if he stays; Meaning we presently have 4 open schollies (regardless of whether Lakes goes or stays)

Last edited:
So Far:

Leaving: Teddy Allen, Bret Porter (walk-on), Elijah Wood, Yvan Ouedraogo, Akol Arop

Staying:
Kobe Webster

Will He, or Won't He:
Thorir Thorbjarnarson

With at least Three Four scholarships open, doubtless we'll be taking some transfers from the portal, which is filling up with high-profile players.

Last edited:

So Far:

Leaving: Teddy Allen, Bret Porter (walk-on), Elijah Wood, Yvan Ouedraogo, Akol Arop

Staying:
Kobe Webster

Will He, or Won't He:
Thorir Thorbjarnarson

With at least 3 scholarships open, doubtless we'll be taking some transfers from the portal, which is filling up with high-profile players.
Omitted Stevenson and Lakes in the "will he, or won't he" list, but I expect an announcement that Stevenson is moving on in the near future. No clue on Lakes, but with the number of departures clearing up space for some immediate scholarship additions, his chances of staying have increased. He would just have one year which spreads out the classes a little better.

Omitted Stevenson and Lakes in the "will he, or won't he" list, but I expect an announcement that Stevenson is moving on in the near future. No clue on Lakes, but with the number of departures clearing up space for some immediate scholarship additions, his chances of staying have increased. He would just have one year which spreads out the classes a little better.
Stevenson is such a bummer deal for me. And not because I think he’s a huge loss, but there were parts of his game I really liked, and in a different system, I think he could be a solid, productive player.

I will say I was disappointed in how he played the second half of the season. He played with an ‘I don’t care’ attitude. Not that he played lazy, but he made up his mind on what he was going to do every time he got the ball. It didn’t matter what the defense did, it didn’t matter what his teammates were doing, he was going to do what he wanted. He stopped thinking team ball, because I think he realized he wasn’t going to be a factor in Fred’s eyes. I kind of understand it, but you still have teammates who are trying to play a team game, and he wasn’t helping that effort.

Stevenson is such a bummer deal for me. And not because I think he’s a huge loss, but there were parts of his game I really liked, and in a different system, I think he could be a solid, productive player.

I will say I was disappointed in how he played the second half of the season. He played with an ‘I don’t care’ attitude. Not that he played lazy, but he made up his mind on what he was going to do every time he got the ball. It didn’t matter what the defense did, it didn’t matter what his teammates were doing, he was going to do what he wanted. He stopped thinking team ball, because I think he realized he wasn’t going to be a factor in Fred’s eyes. I kind of understand it, but you still have teammates who are trying to play a team game, and he wasn’t helping that effort.
Unfortunately, you could count on Shamiel for a poorly timed 3 point shot or a charge. I think everyone can see his potential though. We will have to trust Fred on this one... I'm sure he'll make the right decision for the team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back