• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Way-Too-Early college football Top 25

If one year determines your tenure maybe. But that’s not the case.
I think we're entering a dangerous period for a lot of fan bases. With the consolidation going on with two power conferences, having outstanding records every year is going to be really difficult going forward.

No disrespect intended, but I think Oklahoma is ripe for a quick reaction from their fans in the next year or two. As much as anyone nationally. Moving into a much more difficult conference with far more difficult schedules going forward. All of these teams are going to have challenging schedules most years.

What hurts OU, in particular, is that Venables early results have represented a dip in their success compared to his predecessors going back two decades. So he's already under a little pressure and about to walk into a buzzsaw. That's not to say that Oklahoma won't be very competitive in the new SEC. But there's going to be a lot of good teams that go out and have 7-5 seasons.

It's easy for you to say right now that he gets five years minimum. But if you guys go out and post a couple years like that....even if you are a good team, that situation is ripe for a quick change. It just is.

I think we're entering a dangerous period for a lot of fan bases. With the consolidation going on with two power conferences, having outstanding records every year is going to be really difficult going forward.

No disrespect intended, but I think Oklahoma is ripe for a quick reaction from their fans in the next year or two. As much as anyone nationally. Moving into a much more difficult conference with far more difficult schedules going forward. All of these teams are going to have challenging schedules most years.

What hurts OU, in particular, is that Venables early results have represented a dip in their success compared to his predecessors going back two decades. So he's already under a little pressure and about to walk into a buzzsaw. That's not to say that Oklahoma won't be very competitive in the new SEC. But there's going to be a lot of good teams that go out and have 7-5 seasons.

It's easy for you to say right now that he gets five years minimum. But if you guys go out and post a couple years like that....even if you are a good team, that situation is ripe for a quick change. It just is.
Venables first year the cupboard was bare. The players Riley didn’t take with him to USC, including a Heisman Trophy winner, were recruits that went with him or somewhere else.

Even at that OU finished 6-7. This year after getting his first recruiting class in OU finished 10-3. This years class is rated 8th in the country so he is getting some sought after kids.

I would challenge any team to win 10 or 11 games this year with our schedule. If per chance we win 10 games we should make the playoffs.

I realize a lot of people on here are hoping for OU’s demise, and with the schedule stacked against us, the next couple of years are going to be rough, but I don’t believe OU fans are going to want to get rid of BV if the next couple of years aren’t 10 or 11 win years.

Venables first year the cupboard was bare. The players Riley didn’t take with him to USC, including a Heisman Trophy winner, were recruits that went with him or somewhere else.

Even at that OU finished 6-7. This year after getting his first recruiting class in OU finished 10-3. This years class is rated 8th in the country so he is getting some sought after kids.

I would challenge any team to win 10 or 11 games this year with our schedule. If per chance we win 10 games we should make the playoffs.

I realize a lot of people on here are hoping for OU’s demise, and with the schedule stacked against us, the next couple of years are going to be rough, but I don’t believe OU fans are going to want to get rid of BV if the next couple of years aren’t 10 or 11 win years.

As we both know…powerful boosters and fanbases do not have much patience. Oklahoma is wanting to make a statement In the first couple years in their new conference. A couple of dude years and he will be on the hot hot hot seat in Sooner Nation. That is how it works in 2024.

Last edited:

I'm not wishing for your demise. But it's easy to say that now. It's not the same when the losses start rolling in. A lot of people are going to have up and down seasons or stretches. It's just a risky time for that program given that Venables won't have good will to fall back on. And not winning 10 or 11 games isn't the risk. The risk is having a 6-6 or 7-5 season next year. If that happens, all of the offseason positivity evaporates.

As we both know…powerful boosters and fanbases do not have much patience. Oklahoma is wanting to make a statement In the first couple years in their new conference. A couple of dude years and he will be on the hot hot hot seat in Sooner Nation. That is how it works in 2024.
We’re not Nebraska

I prefer THIS Top 25...

Screenshot_20240110_153909_Facebook.jpg

I think it’s possible, Lincoln Riley is a fraud. Obviously, he knows offense, one kind anyway. He’s had 3 Heisman winners to work with. he refuses defense, completely. Him leaving, IMO, was a huge blessing for OU.
Lincoln Riley is basically Scott Frost, thinking they win by just out scoring opponents in shootouts. It worked against lesser teams in B12 and AAC, but that dog won’t hunt in conferences where there are actual good/great defenses on almost every team. Lincoln thinks he can in B1G with that philosophy, he is about to discover what Frost did. Not happening. Really Nebraska should have taken that into much more consideration when they hired Frost. His defenses were never good at UCF because they didn’t have to be.

No way does Venables last more than 2 years in SEC if Okie is 8-4 or worse. Their fans and admin won’t accept it. Bank on it. And they won’t be much better than that. B12 is a joke conference compared to SEC and B1G

Think there are a lot of questions that will need answering going into next season. As this season didn't have a clear "dominant" team, I think early next year you will see a lot of teams bounce around.

Of the teams in this early Top 25, my thoughts on a few:
  • #1 Georgia- They won't get an easy schedule like this past year. Clemson, Bama, Texas, Ole Miss, and Tennessee are going to force them to prove they belong. I worry about their offense, especially with their top targets leaving.
  • #2 Texas- How will they transition to the SEC? This past season they were able to get away with some lackluster performances midseason that they won't be able to get away with anymore. Top heavy schedule with Michigan, Georgia, and OU, but beyond that isn't great. If they can win one of those three and not lose a game they shouldn't, they'll be in the playoff.
  • #4 Alabama- I'm interested to see what they ultimately decide to do offensively next year. Milroe didn't provide them with the safe, consistent play they are used to. He has to improve or they have to move someone else in to the spot, if they are going to win a title.
  • #6 Michigan- If Harbaugh leaves, do they plummet? They will have their hands full with Texas, Washington, Oregon, and OSU on the schedule.
  • #7 Ole Miss/#8 Mizzou- Neither team has a real difficult schedule. We likely won't know anything about them until mid-October. I'd expect them to rank high early, even if they aren't as good as they were this year.
  • #12 Penn State- Don't be surprised if the Nittany Lions end up in the playoff, primarily because of their schedule. Washington and OSU are the only games scheduled with likely ranked teams. If they play like they have the last few seasons, they should finished no worse than 10-2.
  • Who will become the new king(s) of the Big XII? With OU and Texas leaving, it opens the door for a couple of teams to make a push to move up in the world. Does Oklahoma State grasp firm control of the conference? Will KSU break through as a top team? Is it an up and comer like Kansas, Utah, Arizona? There will be at least one or two programs that we'll be talking about from that conference at the end of the season, I'm just not sure it is clear who those will be.
I think you are right in regards to some teams in other programs looking good but…..scheduling in the B1G and SEC are going to get brutal. I anticipate a lot of discussion in the future for similar situations as the FSU debacle this year only for 10,11,12 spots. Teams with three losses in one of those conferences could look better than a team in the Big 12 with 1.

Nailed it. Imagine being the new head coach at Alabama. Their fans expect what Nebraska fans did similar to Solich. With these new schedules undefeated becomes very difficult. There are a lot of their fans appreciative of Sabin but think his time has come because of two losses this year. I don’t think their next coach makes it more than 4 years.

I think you are right in regards to some teams in other programs looking good but…..scheduling in the B1G and SEC are going to get brutal. I anticipate a lot of discussion in the future for similar situations as the FSU debacle this year only for 10,11,12 spots. Teams with three losses in one of those conferences could look better than a team in the Big 12 with 1.
I definitely agree with you, the SEC and B1G are going to get way more benefit of the doubt when it comes to the playoff. I'm not sure if it will be to the extent you mention, where a 1 loss Big XII team would be left out over a three loss B1G/SEC team. Either way, I'd be surprised if there isn't a minimum of one team from the ACC (caveat being that the conference as a whole holds together) and Big XII that get the nod for the playoff.

I definitely agree with you, the SEC and B1G are going to get way more benefit of the doubt when it comes to the playoff. I'm not sure if it will be to the extent you mention, where a 1 loss Big XII team would be left out over a three loss B1G/SEC team. Either way, I'd be surprised if there isn't a minimum of one team from the ACC (caveat being that the conference as a whole holds together) and Big XII that get the nod for the playoff.
Which is at most they ever would get in the past. Unlike fsu, win it they are guaranteed a playoff spot.

Which is at most they ever would get in the past. Unlike fsu, win it they are guaranteed a playoff spot.
The B1G and SEC I think will probably get 3 teams in the 12-team playoff, at minimum. With both conferences doing away with divisions, you are going to have two teams with great records (undefeated or one loss) competing for the conference title, plus one additional team who was knocking on the door. All three of those will get in. After that, it will be a question of a two or three loss team and whether they should make it too.

Unless the ACC and Big XII absolutely stink, I struggle to see their conference champ not making the cut in a 12-team field.

The B1G and SEC I think will probably get 3 teams in the 12-team playoff, at minimum. With both conferences doing away with divisions, you are going to have two teams with great records (undefeated or one loss) competing for the conference title, plus one additional team who was knocking on the door. All three of those will get in. After that, it will be a question of a two or three loss team and whether they should make it too.

Unless the ACC and Big XII absolutely stink, I struggle to see their conference champ not making the cut in a 12-team field.
As you laid it out, now you have six spots between less conferences.
Everybody wins, if they do it justice

If Texas is winning and making the playoff, there will be no patience for OU. I see no way this doesn’t end in tears and recriminations for OU.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back