• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Walk on program recruiting

dallasblackshirt

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
The walk on program at Nebraska has been special and meaningful contributor to the program's success over the past 50 years. They have played meaningful role on special teams and securing an occasional starter.

That said, with 16 walk on commitments for 2020 I can't help but worry that this overemindexing distorts the need to secure a scholarship class that includes at least 5 difference makers which I would define as players rated in the top 150 players in the country.

We finished last season with such a class and i fear this one won't, given our struggles on the field this year. We won't reduce the gap between OSU and us without them. And I am sick and tired of being lousy and in line with the sisters of the poor.

I want more 4+* athletes to fill the cupboard

And how do you suggest we go about getting those 5 top 150 players? Also, you do realize we have an entirely different process/personnel department that works with scouting and working with most walk-ons to free up the time for the staff to focus on the "difference makers", I'd just wager our staff has a different definition for what that may be.

The walk on program at Nebraska has been special and meaningful contributor to the program's success over the past 50 years. They have played meaningful role on special teams and securing an occasional starter.

That said, with 16 walk on commitments for 2020 I can't help but worry that this overemindexing distorts the need to secure a scholarship class that includes at least 5 difference makers which I would define as players rated in the top 150 players in the country.

We finished last season with such a class and i fear this one won't, given our struggles on the field this year. We won't reduce the gap between OSU and us without them. And I am sick and tired of being lousy and in line with the sisters of the poor.

I want more 4+* athletes to fill the cupboard
I don't think recruiting is going great (should change if we get Johnson and Manning on board), but Nebraska walk-on recruiting works like Alabama recruits scholarship guys. Save someone like Luke Reimers, we aren't doing any work to get them and they are tripping over each other to get invited to a gameday.

Dude, I just want to compete with Minnesota at this point.
Within the BIG, OSU is their own tier. The 2nd tier is Wisky, MI, PSU. 3rd Tier is IA. 4th is prolly Northwestern, NE, MSU, MN, Purdue and maybe a few others. 5th is Rutgers, Maryland and maybe IL though they are punching up.

Goal #1 is to get to tier 3, maybe tier 2. It’ll take a decade to get to Tier 1 in a best case scenario.

1. Win a game
2. Winning close games
3. Winning season
4. Winning Division
5. Winning Conference

Walk-ons can help with all of these. I can't believe that Nebraska is figuring out number 2, but I don't think walk-ons are what puts them over the top. They may be the swizzle stick that stirs the drink at Nebraska though.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back