• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Walk on limits

Heres the thing. Guys like Chip Kelly, Neon etc will love this. They should not be rewarded, they should be made to work like the coaches who embrace the walk on
“made to work”, meaning OSU should be required to have walk ons? How else do you make them?

Can’t imagine Kelly feels much about this at all. No walk ons wouldn’t matter to OSU and I doubt he cares if we do or don’t have them.

Definitely be the end of a tradition that’s a big part of NU history. More players for FCS and D2 I suppose.

“made to work”, meaning OSU should be required to have walk ons? How else do you make them?

Can’t imagine Kelly feels much about this at all. No walk ons wouldn’t matter to OSU and I doubt he cares if we do or don’t have them.

Definitely be the end of a tradition that’s a big part of NU history. More players for FCS and D2 I suppose.
I'm reminded of this guy

But hey, let a coach do what he wants. Osu hired him.

Nebraska should start the best intramural football program in the country as an in-house farm team (but outside the Athletic Dept), give out scholarships to players who used to be the ones from 85 to 105, hire high quality developmental coaches but completely separate from the intercollegiate team, etc. Recruit the same highly motivated, team-oriented guys we find as walk ons today.

NCAA and these lawsuits are all confined to intercollegiate Athletics and I'm fairly certain as long as it remained intramural it would be hard for them to regulate.

Take the best of the players from the intramural teams onto to main team when we need them. Would we lose some players to other teams? Yes, but if we selected for in state, 500 mile, and grateful personalities who understand and appreciate Nebraska's historic commitment to walk ons, I think in many cases we would have first option on the best talent.

Strive to make it complementary to lower level schools and to develop and maintain strong relationships with those as another pipeline.

Last edited:
I found the citing of these administrative meetings an important impactful reference to understanding this. Who were these administrative meetings? FBS has for years been governed by an overwhelming amount of “have nots” that can outvote the 40-50 haves. Thus the formation of the super conferences and the belief that they can break away.

I personally believe this is an attempt by the have nots to limit expenses and keep them in the game. It’s likely to backfire and further increase the desire to breakaway.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back