• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer - worst album ever

KleinTxHusker

All Big 10
15 Year Member
My son prevailed on me to subscribe to Apple Music; he said I was spending too much money at the $5 bin at Wal Mart. So I decided to give it a try. I've been picking one or two each day that Apple has as "Recommended for You."

Well after listening to a couple today, I thought I'd try a third. So I went with this group Blue Cheer that I had never heard of (my pop music experience started around 1964-65 and was a fairly intense music fan to ~1981). Vincent Eruptum supposedly is bad Latin meaning roughly "Controlled Chaos."

Well, it is a mess. Really bad vocals by what sounds like Janis Joplin's less talented older brother combined with really bad guitar riffs that seem to be bad parodies of contemporary or future performances by Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple and The Who. Any thing and everything thrown in (the chaos thesis is pretty close to the truth in that regard, but nothing remotely translates to chaos). Every sort of possible future Heavy Metal cliche. Well, supposedly this may have been the first Heavy Metal album and the apologists on Wikipedia it is highly thought of. I will say it didn't sound near as jarring as it cycled through a second time.

Any other opinions? @Pops, @joestrummer any thoughts?

My ears are hurting. My dog started barking at the noise. It was issued mid-January 1968.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincebus_Eruptum

Blue Cheer's debut album has widely been held in high regard by critics. Writing for music website AllMusic, Mark Deming described Vincebus Eruptum as "a glorious celebration of rock & roll primitivism run through enough Marshall amps to deafen an army", praising the band's "sound and fury" as one of the founding movements of heavy metal.[10] Pitchfork reviewer Alexander Linhardt gave the album nine out of a maximum ten points, noting that the album was less structured than its successor, Outsideinside.[11] It has also been described by Billboard as "the epitome of psychedelic rock".[13]

Last edited:

Thought I'd post few songs... A pretty bad version of Eddie Cochrane's Summertime Blues...

They had one of "Peace of Mind" but it was from "New and Improved" a 1969 version, and it wasn't nearly as bad... because it was New and Improved, like the a detergent...:Biggrin:

Thought I'd post few songs... A pretty bad version of Eddie Cochrane's Summertime Blues...

They had one of "Peace of Mind" but it was from "New and Improved" a 1969 version, and it wasn't nearly as bad... because it was New and Improved, like the a detergent...:Biggrin:

Yer saying that this is the first time you've ever heard of this band, and that cover tune of Summertime Blues? I know they aren't or weren't a household name band, but wow! Also, I dig that version of Summertime Blues.

This album by the Doors, sans Morrison, has to be right up there with the worst rock album of all time. It's fun to listen to, if you like to cringe..... As Charles Barkley might say, "It's Turrible, just Turrible."

Yer saying that this is the first time you've ever heard of this band, and that cover tune of Summertime Blues? I know they aren't or weren't a household name band, but wow! Also, I dig that version of Summertime Blues.
Affirmative and affirmative... Of course I really started listening to music in earnest about 45 years ago. Let's just say that I don't recall ever hearing either on KFMQ when the DJ's had the freedom to play almost anything they liked. Also, no peers heard or liked them.

My dad also employed a lot of male UNL students (most were blue collar or farm back ground) and I was around them. So I heard some stories about Frank Zappa from my dad who heard from his employees. All about Hard Rock, Acid Rock, etc. Of course if it was an extremely negative opinion, that meant I probably couldn't have the music in the house. Flip side, my dad thought Alice Cooper was hilarious and loved his outrageousness (even though my dad didn't drink and didn't like that sort of music), and let us have his albums. My dad found himself at a Burt Bacharach show in Vegas with Cooper at the next table. Cooper was a huge Bacharach fan, BB called him out and so my dad went over and got Cooper's autograph after the show. Still have it.

Last edited:

This album by the Doors, sans Morrison, has to be right up there with the worst rock album of all time. It's fun to listen to, if you like to cringe..... As Charles Barkley might say, "It's Turrible, just Turrible."

That song just never got going...

Kind of comes across as the Carpenters without Karen Carpenter... A demo tape compared to the final production. What I would surmise is however lame the song may be, Morrison would have nailed it, just on enthusiasim.

Yeah, The Doors were not much without Morrison. What is interesting to me is a couple of years ago on a Lufthansa flight I pulled up what I thought was a Doors album. It was terrible and sounded nothing like I thought or remembered. I want to go back and try to figure out if it was one of their lesser works or if it was some sort of cover band or "modern" group that did Doors covers. It was really, really bad.

Boring and almost legalistic presentation (really singing "and/or" in the lyrics? most would just go with the "and") Just because it is in they lyrics doesn't mean you need to sing them - kind of like Pat Boone covering (white washing?) Little Richard. Just noticed Jerry Jeff Walker deviated in many places on LA Freeway. Lyrics on the sheet music are only a suggestion...

Last edited:
Lyrics on the sheet music are only a suggestion...
I was just getting into trying to write and record my own stuff back in '05. And it always struck me as interesting and funny, when I would sing/record words I wrote and later, after replaying the track, I either added, changed or left words out.... So, I agree with the quote here...LOL.... I have a couple of guitar parts that I improvised from what I had planned, and haven't been able to quite figure out exactly what it was I did, that's kinda funny too, albeit frustrating, when it's a really cool guitar piece.

Unfortunately for me, I lost all of my master copies save but one, and most of what I recorded, I just can't get back for several different reasons. It's been almost 13 years since, and I just haven't replaced my recording equipment. Well, I did find the drum machine that I owned at the time, on Reverb.com, so that is cool.

Last edited:
I was just getting into trying to write and record my own stuff back in '05. And it always struck me as interesting and funny, when I would sing/record words I wrote and later, after replaying the track, I either added, changed or left words out.... So, I agree with the quote here...LOL.... I have a couple of guitar parts that I improvised from what I had planned, and haven't been able to quite figure out exactly what it was I did, that's kinda funny too, albeit frustrating, when it's a really cool guitar piece.

Unfortunately for me, I lost all of my master copies save but one, and most of what I recorded, I just can't get back for several different reasons. It's been almost 13 years since, and I just haven't replaced my recording equipment. Well, I did find the drum machine that I owned at the time, on Reverb.com, so that is cool.
I have to laugh...

Blinded by the light...
  1. Wrapped up like a douche;
  2. Wrapped up like she do; or
  3. Wrapped up like a deuce?
It was claimed Manfred Mann sang #2 and some say #3, despite it sounded like #1 and Springsteen wrote #3, but his version was cuttin' loose like a deuce...

My wife has been performing songs in a singing group for about five years... she is amazed how bad she (and we all) have heard lyrics. Maybe it was the enunciation.

Of course your situation can be summarized as:

I just don't think I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
and I'll never have the recipe again...:Biggrin:

Last edited:
:Mfclap:
I just don't think I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
and I'll never have the recipe again...:Biggrin:
Hilarious..... Thanks for the laugh.... that is wicked funny... I loved that song as a pre-teen, LOL.

Last edited:

My son prevailed on me to subscribe to Apple Music; he said I was spending too much money at the $5 bin at Wal Mart. So I decided to give it a try. I've been picking one or two each day that Apple has as "Recommended for You."

Well after listening to a couple today, I thought I'd try a third. So I went with this group Blue Cheer that I had never heard of (my pop music experience started around 1964-65 and was a fairly intense music fan to ~1981). Vincent Eruptum supposedly is bad Latin meaning roughly "Controlled Chaos."

Well, it is a mess. Really bad vocals by what sounds like Janis Joplin's less talented older brother combined with really bad guitar riffs that seem to be bad parodies of contemporary or future performances by Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple and The Who. Any thing and everything thrown in (the chaos thesis is pretty close to the truth in that regard, but nothing remotely translates to chaos). Every sort of possible future Heavy Metal cliche. Well, supposedly this may have been the first Heavy Metal album and the apologists on Wikipedia it is highly thought of. I will say it didn't sound near as jarring as it cycled through a second time.

Any other opinions? @Pops, @joestrummer any thoughts?

My ears are hurting. My dog started barking at the noise. It was issued mid-January 1968.
Plug in the big muff fuze box and what do you get...Blue Cheer
As a band named after a form of LSD you had to be on it to enjoy it. Band itself was getting a lot of play in the SF area as the dead were coming of age.

Based on the music I like, there are two bands who music folks would say I should love but I just can't over the hump with: Blue Cheer and the MC5. They're both seen as grandfathers of several musical genres that I really enjoy. I appreciate what both bands did with pushing the envelope and can enjoy listening to both in moderation, but neither of the bands ever really struck a chord with me.

I have to laugh...

Blinded by the light...
  1. Wrapped up like a douche;
  2. Wrapped up like she do; or
  3. Wrapped up like a deuce?
It was claimed Manfred Mann sang #2 and some say #3, despite it sounded like #1 and Springsteen wrote #3, but his version was cuttin' loose like a deuce...

My wife has been performing songs in a singing group for about five years... she is amazed how bad she (and we all) have heard lyrics. Maybe it was the enunciation.
Springsteen wrote deuce. Mann sang deuce. But they fuzzed it up in the production so it sounded like douche. That probably helped sell the song.

By the way, did you know that Secret Agent Man by Johnny Rivers was actually Secret Asian Man? ;)

I have to laugh...

...:Biggrin:
Visit a great website called kissthisguy.com. Full of funny misunderstandings of rock lyrics. The name comes from the famous Hendrix lyric “Scuse me, while I kiss the sky.” Which someone thought was “Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.”

One of my best friends admitted he thought the line from Five Man Electrical Band’s hit song “Signs” was “Long-haired, freaky people eatin’ All the flies.” Instead of “Long-haired freaky people need not apply.”

Springsteen wrote deuce. Mann sang deuce. But they fuzzed it up in the production so it sounded like douche. That probably helped sell the song

By the way, did you know that Secret Agent Man by Johnny Rivers was actually Secret Asian Man? ;)
While Springsteen clearly wrote deuce, he sang "cut loose like a..." vs. "wrapped up like a..." interesting question I never thought of until now... what does he mean by "deuce"? I never thought of fecal material before... a deuce meaning that is something I only became aware of recently... ewww...:Eek::Frown:

I always thought Duce referred to the Italian word for Duke...

I always loved Secret Agent Man... So I blew that one too?

All these years I thought Big Yellow Taxi was ...a Tree Paradise and they put up a parking lot... That made logical sense to me in the context of the lyrics...

Last edited:

Plug in the big muff fuze box and what do you get...Blue Cheer
As a band named after a form of LSD you had to be on it to enjoy it. Band itself was getting a lot of play in the SF area as the dead were coming of age.
You mention the Dead... I need to try to pull up any concert albums... The Dead should be in my wheel house... I tend to like a large share of the genres they are associated with (folk, country rock, bluegrass, blues...) I always found their songs OK, but not really interesting... a few years ago, I had a rental car with Satellite Radio and listened the the Dead channel. and they had a lot of concerts and I liked those much better. I subsequently learned they were a great concert / jam band. From what I heard, I think so too. Need to check it out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back