• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Vacation Destinations

Oooohhhh vacations. My backyard is still my favorite place on this planet but I love to travel too.
Last (school) year spent 10 days in cape fear NC, 10 days in Maui, 7 day western Caribbean cruise, a month in Coronado, 2 weeks in Flagstaff and 3 days at Disneyland. It was such a great year. I say school year because I have a 7 year old so our vacation schedule is based on that.
During our NC trip, we were caught in hurricane Matthew and had to evacuate to Charlotte...yuck.
Maui is always my favorite because we go every year so it’s really like a 2nd home. We recently started spending a month in Coronado so it is feeling more like home too but it’s San Diego which other than temperature isn’t very impressive to me.
My daughter loved the Caribbean.

Lived in Tucson for 16 years...and January is when it sucks the least.

The best hiking is up on the north side. The Sabino Canyon area has some good hiking trails. Ventana Canyon and Pima Canyon as well.

Just got back from the trip.

Day 1 (Sunday): Catalina State Park due to Gov't Shutdown. Excellent and challenging hiking. Hiked a little under 3 miles up and back the Romero Canyon trail.

Day 2: Sabino Canyon. Gov't shutdown caused the parking lots to be gated off, visitors center closed, tram not running, and restrooms locked. Hiked Phoneline trail 4.5 miles up the canyon and walked back on the tram road. An outstanding trail that was about halfway up the mountain alongside the tram road. Parking lot was open by the time we finished our RT due to funding vote passing.

Day 3: Saguaro National Park. Did Garwood Loop on the East Side, an excellent area among the giant cacti and numerous trails that can be connected to form hikes of various lengths. Drove across town to check out the West District; didn't really have time or feel like a second 5 miler on the same day. Looks promising for a future trip.

I'd highly recomment both Sabino and Garwood.

Photo from Sabino:
Sabino.jpg

Last edited:
Thailand is our primarily destination now as my wife is from there and we go back to see her family. We have a house in central Thailand we use as a base of operations to travel to other areas from there. It used to be so cheap but over the last couple of years prices have jumped quite a bit. We will be heading back over in December for a two month stay. We are planning on a side trip over to Singapore for a few days to see what that's like.

The White Temple in northern Thailand near Chiang Rai
View attachment 12124
Ruins of Sukhothai
View attachment 12125
where we are think of next

sorry for the old bump. here's an example of the canadian rockies relating to the OP. this is in Canmore on Grotto Mountain last weekend. apologies if they're blurry. i had to shrink them down and i'm a rookie at that.
it was about 70-75 degree F that day so i was able to stay in shorts and a t-shirt all day long.
this hike had approx 4400 feet of elevation gain to a height of about 8800 feet, but there other hikes that aren't nearly as tough that will give you the same type of views.

DSC_6695 - Copy.jpg
DSC_6726 - Copy.jpg
DSC_6769 - Copy.jpg
DSC_6382 - Copy.jpg

sorry for the old bump. here's an example of the canadian rockies relating to the OP. this is in Canmore on Grotto Mountain last weekend. apologies if they're blurry. i had to shrink them down and i'm a rookie at that.
it was about 70-75 degree F that day so i was able to stay in shorts and a t-shirt all day long.
this hike had approx 4400 feet of elevation gain to a height of about 8800 feet, but there other hikes that aren't nearly as tough that will give you the same type of views.

View attachment 15688 View attachment 15689 View attachment 15690 View attachment 15691
Beautiful. Love the pup, too. Is that one of those vicious pit bulls?

I kid.

View attachment 15688 View attachment 15689 View attachment 15690 View attachment 15691
Absolutely beautiful setting.

Heading out to the Riviera Maya part of Mexico tomorrow night through Tuesday. Hopefully the cartels won't get me.

Heading out to the Riviera Maya part of Mexico tomorrow night through Tuesday. Hopefully the cartels won't get me.
Cartels aren't too bad a problem there as the federales are there to help protect the tourism industry. Be careful if you get pulled over for speeding though, as the local police will take your drivers license and you have to go to the local police station to buy it back and "costs may vary.".

Cartels aren't too bad a problem there as the federales are there to help protect the tourism industry. Be careful if you get pulled over for speeding though, as the local police will take your drivers license and you have to go to the local police station to buy it back and "costs may vary.".
There have been a couple of bombing incidents on ferries where we are going in the past few months. Nothing happened over Spring Break so I think we are good.

There have been a couple of bombing incidents on ferries where we are going in the past few months. Nothing happened over Spring Break so I think we are good.
Learn some choice Mexica words that are highly derogative of Mexico, and yell them out loud at the locals, every chance you get, you should be okay, as they will think you are just another crazy white boy from the US, and they will steer clear of you. Remember, the more rude and crass, the better it will be for you.

Learn some choice Mexica words that are highly derogative of Mexico, and yell them out loud at the locals, every chance you get, you should be okay, as they will think you are just another crazy white boy from the US, and they will steer clear of you. Remember, the more rude and crass, the better it will be for you.
I only know how to be a gentleman.:nod:

I love Big Bend in South Texas. It is right on the Rio Grande border and has desert land as well as mountains (at least they call them mountains here in Texas....definitely not the Rockies) with lots of beautiful hiking. We stayed in some of the available cabins while there and woke up in the mornings to wild animals, primarily feral hogs, right outside our balcony. My kids loved all the hiking. Definitely something to think about when visiting National Parks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back