• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USA vs Panama (2013 Gold Cup Final) Game Thread

Okay based on that still I see what you are saying....and I agree with you....from the slow 'mo' on TV and the GIF it was inconclusive to me....thanks that cleared it up....

You sold me....

Here's what HNC and I are looking at, Donovan's right foot is a few inches inside of the 6 yard box and Shea's forward most foot appears to be about double that distance behind the 6 yard box. To me, even with the angle of the photo and the additional second for the ball to "leave" Donovan's foot, in the hypothetical that Landon got the touch (which I think he actually DID) I don't think Shea would have passed in front of Donovan. Sorry if the picture isn't large, you guys may have to click on it. View attachment 5019

attachment.php

Thanks for the still that cleared it up....:)

Becks biggest problem is we are very deep at CM....BUT Kilnsman really likes him....and he did nothing to hurt himself in this competition and if fact helped his cause a great deal and if Holden is unable to play it will help him even more....

Beckerman played very well in the Gold Cup. I honestly believe we would have struggled immensely without him especially in the final against Panama.

Yep. He was behind him when the ball went past Donovan's foot. It looked to me when I was watching that Donovan actually got a touch on it. Not sure if they gave the assist to Bedoya or Donovan but regardless, the goal would have been correctly ruled onsides.

Thanks for that! Pretty new to posting pictures on the BBS.
Okay based on that still I see what you are saying....and I agree with you....from the slow 'mo' on TV and the GIF it was inconclusive to me....thanks that cleared it up....

You sold me....
No problem :) oddly enough, I thought the live speed and still shot sold me that he was onsides but the GIf and slow mo replay made me think there was a hint of offsides about it. I'm just happy that we have moved to the point that we can argue about goals being scored, to me that's a very "fun" problem to have.

Good I don't feel so bad.....I thought the same thing...:) :) :)

That still you posted looks like it sold both of us....:)

Yes indeed it is...a fun problem indeed....:)

Thanks for that! Pretty new to posting pictures on the BBS.

No problem :) oddly enough, I thought the live speed and still shot sold me that he was onsides but the GIf and slow mo replay made me think there was a hint of offsides about it. I'm just happy that we have moved to the point that we can argue about goals being scored, to me that's a very "fun" problem to have.

Last edited:
Thanks for the still that cleared it up....:)

Becks biggest problem is we are very deep at CM....BUT Kilnsman really likes him....and he did nothing to hurt himself in this competition and if fact helped his cause a great deal and if Holden is unable to play it will help him even more....
Agree, although the USMNT needs Holden to continue to get healthy. IMO, anything more than 2-3 of Holden being out followed by another 2-3 months to get back to fitness would be deadly to his chances of making the WC squad. Like we were saying, the only positive is that it is on his right knee. That will cause the healing process to be faster than if it had been his left knee again, also imo it makes it a lot less likely to be a major injury in regards to ligament damage.

I think Kyle is a great guy. Someday, perhaps this weekend, I may start a thread that fully gets my thoughts together about the differences I perceive between him, Bradley, Jones and Holden although I am not sure if that is the best idea. I think that Beckerman showed throughout this tournament that he belongs in the squad in Brazil. He is probably our best true "6" role in the roster. However, imo he is still behind Jones, Bradley, a healthy Holden and probably tied with Cameron in Klinsmann's pecking order.

No problem. Tip with the gif...if you click the gif (and hold down the click), you can pause the action. You just have to drag the paused section over to see what you just paused.
Thanks. I just happened to be on the youtube video and getting the still chosen before you posted the gif. It just worked easier for me to screen shot it as I felt a still was the best way of showing Brek was onsides. The gif you posted and the still I used are from the same video, so it makes sense that we saw the same thing.

I agree....and yeah the position is deep no argument from me....I would actually put him third behind Holden and Bradley....and I'll go into why if you post that thread...I think it would be a great discussion....I honestly think if Holden is out he gives us the best true #6 and would allow Bradley to be Bradley....but more later....

I think its a great idea....post it...would be a good discussion....

I'm just glad to see him finally get the due he deserves....and kudos Klinsman again for seeing what many of us saw and see in Kyle...

Agree, although the USMNT needs Holden to continue to get healthy. IMO, anything more than 2-3 of Holden being out followed by another 2-3 months to get back to fitness would be deadly to his chances of making the WC squad. Like we were saying, the only positive is that it is on his right knee. That will cause the healing process to be faster than if it had been his left knee again, also imo it makes it a lot less likely to be a major injury in regards to ligament damage.

I think Kyle is a great guy. Someday, perhaps this weekend, I may start a thread that fully gets my thoughts together about the differences I perceive between him, Bradley, Jones and Holden although I am not sure if that is the best idea. I think that Beckerman showed throughout this tournament that he belongs in the squad in Brazil. He is probably our best true "6" role in the roster. However, imo he is still behind Jones, Bradley, a healthy Holden and probably tied with Cameron in Klinsmann's pecking order.

Last edited:
I agree....and yeah the position is deep no argument from me....I would actually put him third behind Holden and Bradley....and I'll go into why if you post that thread...I think it would be a great discussion....I honestly think if Holden is out he gives us the best true #6 and would allow Bradley to be Bradley....but more later....
It will either be this weekend or next, more than likely next. In order for me to make my points and accurately layout my ideas I would need to find some raw game film of this past Gold Cup as well as recent matches involving Bradley, Jones and Cameron. It'd probably take a decent amount of time and if I did it I wouldn't want it to dissolve into a personal attack contest. I love hearing everyone's opinion and debating soccer (even more than Husker football) as soccer has always been my favorite sport. I don't want this forum to end up how things end up sometimes in the Football forum or how they can from time to time in the Cafe.

No hurry....take your time and do it right.....

Me too....I grew up as youngster in England and grew to love the game....and love nothing better than having a great discussion about it.....and with English Uncles I got a real education on the game...:)

I agree no PA's.....I'm always open to learn something new......:)

It will either be this weekend or next, more than likely next. In order for me to make my points and accurately layout my ideas I would need to find some raw game film of this past Gold Cup as well as recent matches involving Bradley, Jones and Cameron. It'd probably take a decent amount of time and if I did it I wouldn't want it to dissolve into a personal attack contest. I love hearing everyone's opinion and debating soccer (even more than Husker football) as soccer has always been my favorite sport. I don't want this forum to end up how things end up sometimes in the Football forum or how they can from time to time in the Cafe.

Last edited:

Based on his play on the GC, I'd put Beckerman on the bubble but in. If Holden's injury is serious, then I'd definitely expect Beckerman to make the WC squad.

At least one writer thought he was the MOTM today.....that makes me happy...:) :) :)

Kyle Beckerman: Defensively it was another impressive performance from Beckerman, the Real Salt Lake central midfielder. Panama was never dangerous up the middle of the field and that was his primary job. Offensively he is not flashy but he remains a very good defensive midfielder. He won a lot of balls and helped the team in its overwhelming possession edge. Rating: 7.0 and man of the match.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/29/sports/soccer/player-ratings-us-1-vs-panama-o.html?ref=soccer&_r=0

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back