• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Urban Meyer is phil jackson

70county

Scout Team
20 Year Member
You give the kitchen sink to Meyer or Petersen. You offer a very good deal to Aranda, Campbell or Liepold.
When was the last time/times Meyers had to truly work at his job and how did it go? Every coach that Ohio state and Florida (to lesser degree) have had unparalleled success. If your ignoring Jacksonville because it was pro ball your missing the mark. Put more stock in difficult jobs than easy ones and you’ll have a much better idea of what you’ll get in Lincoln. Meyers will not succeed here, the hours and work needed will far exceed what an aging urban Meyers will put in. He found that out in Jacksonville. And don’t give the “assistants will do all the work” crap it is never the case.

You give someone enough money, they might be willing to come. But that still doesn’t guarantee success. The only thing it truly guarantees is that they get a big wad of money from you. If you can’t get someone unless you give them some obscene amount of money, it’s clear they would rather not be here. Is that going to bring the results or just line someone’s retirement savings?

I think, somewhere in the mix, you want someone who wants to be here, not someone who isn’t interested in coming here, but given the amount of money we are offering, it would be dumb to refuse.

love to see anyones list of older coaches that retired multiple times for health/work related reasons that took more difficult jobs after breezing thru a couple "cant mess this up" jobs. if we hire urban meyers we will get phil jackson exec of the knicks.

sorry for the thread title edit:

Last edited:
When was the last time/times Meyers had to truly work at his job and how did it go? Every coach that Ohio state and Florida (to lesser degree) have had unparalleled success. If your ignoring Jacksonville because it was pro ball your missing the mark. Put more stock in difficult jobs than easy ones and you’ll have a much better idea of what you’ll get in Lincoln. Meyers will not succeed here, the hours and work needed will far exceed what an aging urban Meyers will put in. He found that out in Jacksonville. And don’t give the “assistants will do all the work” crap it is never the case.
I don't know what happened in Jax and I don't know anything about him other than he is a very successful college coach.
An NFL coach doesn't need to motivate the players that much (their salary does that).
I think he may be a great motivational speaker with a big ego for winning and that just translates to the college game better. If he can get people to run through brick walls with his presence, like Devaney could, then he is suited for college at any place..

I don't know what happened in Jax and I don't know anything about him other than he is a very successful college coach.
An NFL coach doesn't need to motivate the players that much (their salary does that).
I think he may be a great motivational speaker with a big ego for winning and that just translates to the college game better. If he can get people to run through brick walls with his presence, like Devaney could, then he is suited for college at any place..
Pelini could get people to run through brick walls for him too. That didn’t end well. Expect an Urban stint here to end the same way - badly.

But if it’s true that his wife will not allow a move the Lincoln, it’s a moot point. If we offer enough to get him and his wife to agree, it would clearly be all about the money. Show me the money!

Last edited:

Right because Saban, Lou Holtz, and Steve Spurriers epic failures in the NFL definitely showed that they couldn’t coach at the college level

Right because Saban, Lou Holtz, and Steve Spurriers epic failures in the NFL definitely showed that they couldn’t coach at the college level
And Pete Carrol, John Robinson, jimmy Johnson, Billy Callahan (wait…) Barry switzer …… on and on and on and on showed that you can come up with names that have and have not (sometimes both) succeeded going back and forth. Switzer walks into a good situation in Dallas and wins a super bowl. Pete Carroll had success in Seattle after failure with New England…. You guessed it New York Jets, a couple of crap organizations at the time.

Jimmy Johnson had success with hurricanes and cowboys while not so much with Oklahoma state and Miami dolphins.

How can any of that be if the bottom line was pro coach OR college coach???

Circumstances, they make a difference, and the circumstances in Lincoln do not cater to a history relevant coach that jumped in and out of good circumstances (Ohio St, Florida/Bulls, Lakers) until the twilight years came apon him. Neither urban nor Phil wanted anything to do with extra hard work. If usc opens up urban listens not Nebraska. Jackson showed exactly what he was all about with his latest stint with the NY knicks. Didn’t have a clue on how to go about fixing that mess on his work schedule and wasn’t about to put in the work to get it done… you would be paying and expecting the same results from urban that the knicks got out of Phil.

Well I sure hope TA is smart enough to figure out any of these aging former excellent coaches aren't going to put in the time and effort to build a winning program in Lincoln.

How many coaches has Florida had since he left and how many national championships have they had? How many Natty’s did Ohio State have in the 30 years prior or since? People who want to discount Urban as some guy who lucked into success are trying to fill their agenda. And if you want to look at difficult jobs, check out Utah and Bowling Green prior to his arrival and after he left.

How many coaches has Florida had since he left and how many national championships have they had? How many Natty’s did Ohio State have in the 30 years prior or since? People who want to discount Urban as some guy who lucked into success are trying to fill their agenda. And if you want to look at difficult jobs, check out Utah and Bowling Green prior to his arrival and after he left.
Literally, and Ohio State was 7-6 the year before Urban got there, Florida no better

Pelini could get people to run through brick walls for him too. That didn’t end well. Expect an Urban stint here to end the same way - badly.

But if it’s true that his wife will not allow a move the Lincoln, it’s a moot point. If we offer enough to get him and his wife to agree, it would clearly be all about the money. Show me the money!
By "badly", do you mean with another title under his/our belt and a successor who is pretty damn good?

You're exactly right. People might not like Urban Meyer, but you don't win over 85% of your games at 4 different schools by accident. That's the kind of thinking that gets coaches fired for winning 9+ games every season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back