• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Update: Calvin to pick between Nebraska and Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uh, yeah, he'll coach into his seventies. Joe Pa tried that and it didn't turn out well.

We've gone around on this a few times SoCal, it's fair to say we just disagree. But it's not unheard of for coaches to coach well past "retirement" age. Snyder is an example of a coach that is still having a fair amount of success in his 70's. In fact, I would say he's coaching to the standard he always has. They were in the NC conversation as recently as what, 3 years ago?

We've gone around on this a few times SoCal, it's fair to say we just disagree. But it's not unheard of for coaches to coach well past "retirement" age. Snyder is an example of a coach that is still having a fair amount of success in his 70's. In fact, I would say he's coaching to the standard he always has. They were in the NC conversation as recently as what, 3 years ago?
Sure...whatever. You have one example to compare with the vast majority of coaches who are out of the game by the time they're seventy.

Also, his standard has never been great.

Last edited:

Sure...whatever. You have one example to compare with the vast majority of coaches who are out of the game by the time they're seventy.

Also, his standard has never been great.

You provided one example of a coach in his 80's but get on me for providing one example of a coach in his 70's. Makes sense to me.

Which is it? Do you want him to succeed at Nebraska, or only be good enough not to get fired?
Hell no. I'm looking forward to him be a huge upgrade over what was in place. I'm just saying, if he's successful at NU, other teams might be a bit gun shy going for him as a HC. The UCONN experience is quite fresh. Advantage NU, as long as he's successful.

Last edited:

Once again lets get back on topic. I do not want to ban anyone from this thread so last Warning.

RR

You may want to go back and look at where PSUs classes finished. You may be correct about both MSU and Wisky, but their systems have not changed for at least a decade. That was how we did it too. It's not how we do it now. Unless we're willing to stay the course and allow Riley to continue to refine and build for the next four or five years, at least, it won't happen. BTW, this was why I had reservations about hiring a guy in his sixties. Eventually he's going to retire and we have to start all over again.

Barry Alvarez took nine years to build a consistent winner and still had a losing season after that. Dantoni took four years and has had a losing season since. Both had a consistent plan that has not altered.

We lost our way when we started to jettison winners for not winning enough.

I don't need to look anything up because I already know the average class rank in the last five years for all three. I stand by my original statement. Neither MSU, PSU, nor Wisconsin have been recruiting to the level that you described in your original post on this subject in this thread.

Last edited:
You provided one example of a coach in his 80's but get on me for providing one example of a coach in his 70's. Makes sense to me.
There really aren't very many head coaches who coach into their seventies. Snyder, Paterno, and Bryant are among the very, very few.

I don't need to look anything up because I already know the average class rank in the last five years for all three. I stand by my original statement. Neither MSU, PSU, nor Wisconsin have been recruiting to the level that you described in your original post on this subject in this thread.
PSU - 14, 20, 15, & 24 the last four classes, and Franklin is heavily using players from that #15 class.

35 four or five stars in those four classes. 39 going back to the 2013 class. That's an average of @8 per class.

So far we've gotten 25. You may not think three four/five stars per class is a difference, but cumulatively it's a difference of fourteen players. That's an entire defense or offense.

Don't forget, we need to be able to win a CCG against three or four top ranked teams, and we still can't beat Wisconsin or Iowa.

If we were averaging 8 per year instead of five we might be able to win the division.

Last edited:

PSU's average nat'l rank (rivals) for 2011 thru 2016 is 32, several spots below MSU and 12 spots above Wisc.

Again, the notion that NU has to have consecutive Top 10 or 15 classes with multiple 4* and 5* players to compete with Mich. and tOSU is erroneous and the record proves it.

Since the inception of the B1G CCG Wisc has been there more than any other team, MSU is second.
And BTW Michigan has never played in the game.

B1G CCG Records:

WISC. 2-2
MSU 2-1
OSU 1-1
PSU 1-0
NU 0-1
IaU 0-1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks