• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Update: Calvin to pick between Nebraska and Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest thing for me would be the trust factor. The exposure aspect is really just a bonus so I didn't mean to say that was a key reason you don't reconsider him. You lost a long time silent commit on national TV after the Fitzpatrick failure last year and you lost Derrion Grim earlier this year after he got homesick.. can you really rely on him to stay long term? Maybe.. but who knows. His mom clearly wants him close to home.

Ahhh, gotcha.

We've had that happen with a coach last year. My daughter, who I love dearly, but isn't going to get a D1 volleyball scholarship or anything, was riding the bench and we couldn't figure out why. We didn't want to complain but we did want to know why. Started of by telling coach, look...if she sucks that bad just tell us. I can handle that. Tell us what she needs to get better at to get on the court. Coach was very nice about it eventually and she's starting now for her club team and is killing it, as well as only 1 of four freshman to make the JV squad at school this year.
This is the right way to handle it. Nothing wrong with asking the question. This lady however was going ballistic. She thought that varsity high school sports should be like youth sports. Everyone plays, everyone gets a trophy. When we tried to explain to her that varsity sports is not that way she got angrier and even threatened to sue us. I told her do what you gotta do and walked away.

When I was coaching high school athletes, I sometimes had parents upset their kid wasn't getting to play as much. My rule was to always try to listen to the parents concerns as long as the athlete was present. Many times, the parent would find out that the athlete was completely happy with what was going on. One time I had the athlete say, "I'm really not that good, and I'm okay with how much I get to play."
Actually when she started yelling her daughter told her to let it go. Her mom yelled at her to shut the H up.

This is the right way to handle it. Nothing wrong with asking the question. This lady however was going ballistic. She thought that varsity high school sports should be like youth sports. Everyone plays, everyone gets a trophy. When we tried to explain to her that varsity sports is not that way she got angrier and even threatened to sue us. I told her do what you gotta do and walked away.
I've told my daughter a couple times that she's playing big girl volleyball now. Also had to remind a fellow parent or two. I'll never understand parents like the one you described.

Out of curiosity, what do you think they should do with Calvin? Does his talent level exceed the reliability question marks?

Coaches gotta trust their instincts here. I think they would LOVE to have him in this class. I think Williams, Riley and Langsdorf would be happier than a pig in ---- if they ended up with Lindsey, Lewis and Calvin. That five-man WR class would be the best in the country - hands down - and the best position class in school history.

They've had contact and Calvin wants to attend Nebraska (and mom knows that). It boils down to her letting him play where his heart is. Will she? Can the coaches and Calvin convince her? When they visit him (soon I would assume), I think they'll get a read on the situation. If they don't like the potential for mom to let him leave the Pac-12, they move on to Gavin Holmes IMPO.

Great story. Love that she even threw in the threat of litigation. That's probably when you confirmed she was bull____.

My wife and I get a kick out of parents who don't understand where their kids are playing. Rec ball? Yes, all kids should play relatively equally. Non-rec? Then there is no guarantee your kid will play. It's crazy that some parents can't wrap their head around it.

I stopped coaching rec baseball for the little guys because parents suck.

Great story. Love that she even threw in the threat of litigation. That's probably when you confirmed she was bull____.

My wife and I get a kick out of parents who don't understand where their kids are playing. Rec ball? Yes, all kids should play relatively equally. Non-rec? Then there is no guarantee your kid will play. It's crazy that some parents can't wrap their head around it.

I stopped coaching rec baseball for the little guys because parents suck.
I have learned to ignore parents. Still coach my grandson football and Wrestling. Just love guiding young kids. The reward is more than the pain.

The biggest thing for me would be the trust factor. The exposure aspect is really just a bonus so I didn't mean to say that was a key reason you don't reconsider him. You lost a long time silent commit on national TV after the Fitzpatrick failure last year and you lost Derrion Grim earlier this year after he got homesick.. can you really rely on him to stay long term? Maybe.. but who knows. His mom clearly wants him close to home.

It is not about Mom wanting him close to home, it's about being able to see his games. She never once said I want him close to home. She said they are trying to figure out how they will see his games. Now... That may mean if it can't happen in any other way that he does stay closer. But 900 miles is not something you are going to drive every weekend anyway. It won't happen.

It is not about Mom wanting him close to home, it's about being able to see his games. She never once said I want him close to home. She said they are trying to figure out how they will see his games. Now... That may mean if it can't happen in any other way that he does stay closer. But 900 miles is not something you are going to drive every weekend anyway. It won't happen.

As I've posted before, they can see one or more games each season with shorter drives. UCLA/USC in town, Cal/Stanford to the North, Arizona/Arizona St to the East. Still a 5-6 hour drive. Sounds a close-knit family, which is good to see in today's world. Tough decision for him and the family.

Last edited:

Has de-committed from Oregon State. Which not be a surprise to anyone.

Coach Williams stopped by his school on Thursday and had an in-home on Thursday Evening.

Where this goes I have no clue. They are back in a very low key mode which is for the best in my opinion.

I know Williams would like him in the class. I suspect he and Coach Riley are going to want assurances from the family if he comes to Lincoln that everyone is on-board with this and that it does not end up like the Grimm situation did.

Sounds like mom has come around and realizes where is heart is: Nebraska.

Final decision will be announced publicly on NSD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back