• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Unbelievable Stat

That’s putrid. Fred must not stress it, because he had some poor FT shooters at ISU, IIRC. But not like that. I always wondered why he didnt fix a few guys. I would think it would especially grate on him, not being good at something so fundamental.

He probably shot 100+ a day himself when he was a ballboy and more as a player. He was nails at the line.

Last edited:

That’s putrid. Fred must not stress it, because he had some poor FT shooters at ISU, IIRC. But not like that. I always wondered why he didnt fix a few guys. I would think it would especially grate on him, not being good at something so fundamental.

He probably shot 100+ a day himself when he was a ballboy and more as a player. He was nails at the line.
"There are few things in sport freer than free throws" -
MIke "The Shark" Newlin of the Houston Rockets (1971-1982's)

Nobody to block it from launch point to goal... Not an unusual distance away... reasonable choice of timing... no surface to worry about... Just the crazies yelling and waving things...

Putting in golf is the closest analogy...

I can't believe how awful we shoot free throws.

Few of these guys were good ft shooters before they go here so it isn’t shocking they aren’t good now. Below are ft% this year vs the last year they had college stats:

Burke NU 60%, Robert Morris 63%
Cheatham NU 56%, Florida GC 65%
Mack 56%, Salt Lake 65%
Green 53%, Western NE 54%
Kavas 71%, Seate 79%
Thor 71%, DONU 67%
Cross 44%, freshman looks like he shot better in hs
Yvan 45%, freshman hasn’t had much refining hopefully will get better

These guys are likely going to be who they are so if you are looking for a team of Steve Nash’s you are in for a long ride. The guys playing are better shooters than the guys redshirting.

Blanton last year at Western KY 56% ft.
Walker last year at TN 26%.
Stevenson last year at Pitt 0%, ok that wss on 0/1 shooting. The year before he was 60%.

Fred will turn this into a solid program but this year will be a mess. Though even when ISU won back to back Big 12 tournament championships Fred's teams finished 193rd and 156th nationallly in ft%.

But it's a process, or so I've been told. I don't care how "new" of teammates these guys are, there is zero excuse for this particular stat. We wont win very many B1G games with this and piss poor rebounding. But, it's a process.

My, but you do have a grand understanding of the game. Have you ever been around it? Have you been on a team that was struggling from the line? It's like the freakin' flu, a couple of guys get it, and next thing you know most of your team have the same symptoms. You can have someone work with the guys individually to refine the ritual, but 90% of this is between their ears. Free throws should be thought of as a gift, but these guys aren't feeling that. I know Fred wants more 3s and not pulling up for 2s, but at this point, I'd rather they just pull up and take the jumper, something they've shown they can hit, than drive to the basket and likely end up on the line. Get some consistency just seeing the ball go through the net and hopefully that confidence can start to rub off on the FTs.

"There are few things in sport freer than free throws" -
MIke "The Shark" Newlin of the Houston Rockets (1971-1982's)

Nobody to block it from launch point to goal... Not an unusual distance away... reasonable choice of timing... no surface to worry about... Just the crazies yelling and waving things...

Putting in golf is the closest analogy...
Honestly, the putting is the perfect analogy. There is zero reason to miss a 3 foot put, unless the windmill gets in the way. But even the best of the best do from time to time, and even some of those have runs that they miss regularly. It's mental. People use different ways to get through it, but they have to, or it makes the mole hill a mountain, and every trip to the line an ugly adventure.

I had a teammate in HS who actually shot the ball over the backboard. Every shot was just pure ugly, but more often than not, it was a complete lack of feel for the range. Ridiculously long, or pathetically short. Our coach went bonkers during a scrimmage, and totally unloaded on him. The guy finally said something to the effect of, 'I've never taken a shot straight on at the basket in a game, why do you think it's so easy to do for a free throw'. He was right, he was an inside player, and his shots were from angles. So coach just said step to the side you prefer on the line, and give it a try. Now don't misunderstand, the guy was never over 50%, but that gave him a better perspective of the depth, and he improved about 30% in doing so. There are ways to help yourself shoot better. Unfortunately, most guys aren't willing to consider them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back