• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ultimate Music Thread

I suppose I should have added a winky thing for you.

Anywho, I'm still not a srv fan
Although I'm not really a fan either (I can't get into the jumpy "Texas" blues), I get why folks love SRV. He played some wicked licks and played them with conviction. Even if he hit a clam, it sounded good. Tons of swagger and one of the best at big, soulful, string bends.

Although I'm not really a fan either (I can't get into the jumpy "Texas" blues), I get why folks love SRV. He played some wicked licks and played them with conviction. Even if he hit a clam, it sounded good. Tons of swagger and one of the best at big, soulful, string bends.

I have never been a Stevie fan either for a few reasons. If I had more time I would go into detail. I love the blues as you know he just never did much for me

All I can say about not being an SRV fan is, I take it that none of you had ever had the pleasure to see him play live. Honestly, their just aren't to many better guitar players to ever play the instrument, alive or passed. Any way, music, like art, is subjective....now, following in the Texas vain, one of my fave Texas bands....

All I can say about not being an SRV fan is, I take it that none of you had ever had the pleasure to see him play live. Honestly, their just aren't to many better guitar players to ever play the instrument, alive or passed. Any way, music, like art, is subjective....now, following in the Texas vain, one of my fave Texas bands....

Even though I'm not a fan, I acknowledge his talent. He's one of the all-time great blues guitarists. And, like you say, music is subjective. However, I think saying a blues player is one of the greatest to ever play the instrument is like saying a weightlifter or bobsledder is one of the greatest athletes of all time. Stevie was great at what he did but what he did was comping 7th chords (albeit with some flash) and minor pentatonic and blues scale soloing. I can buy him being on the blues Mt. Rushmore, but not the guitar Mt. Rushmore. I don't want to knock blues guitar as I'm a fan but, on the guitar totem pole, it is somewhere in the middle at best as far as skill required is concerned. JHMO.

I love blues it's what I was weaned on as a young kid. Blues and blues-rock is my base and always will be even as my musical journey has gone all over the map to just about every imaginable type of music. Stevie's music or style never grabbed me and still doesn't. To me there were so many blues and country- blues players (mostly black) from his era who were better players and singers, but never got there due. With that being said Double Trouble were awesome in the post Stevie band Arc Angels with Charlie Sexton and Doyle Bramhall.

Quite honestly in my opinion there are a lot better blues players than him and even more so in all musical style. Good but not great player. With that being said I get what he did and his place in giving blues a more mainstream feel.

Blues to me is something you get or you don't. It's not an acquired taste. I got it from the get go and I think that is true for most who love it.

Last edited:

Appreciate the reply's...(and I see where I typed their instead of there) but I still have to say, you guys never experienced Stevie "Live" and I know you(everybody) also essentially like what you like. As far as Austin musicians would be concerned, I'd be willing to bet that not one, would claim SRV wasn't essentially a God. All music is either something you get or something you don't, hence subjective, but of all the shows I've seen, Stevie Ray Vaughan with Jeff Beck in the Miami Arena is still one of the BEST shows I've every been to. Very few players I've ever seen, have had as much soul as Stevie had.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back