• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Two Intriguing Coaching Possibilities for Nebraska

Great write up. I think either coaches would do well at Nebraska but like you identified with Leipold, who would be on his staff.

Very nice and informative.
One thing on Leipold, despite his holdover staff and various understudy promotions, he is 5-0, and in P5 level competition.
Iowa knows the turf in the Big, they are doing more outside Big footprint recruiting than ever before, and are arguably more apt to stay within what they know, but also develop at a very high level.

My thoughts are, we need to know the Big and be successful, more than Iowa outside the Big footprint both. While SFs staff was good in the SE region, the eastern seaboard area and mostly decent in our 500mile radius, and while offensively SFs offense may have paid off in the Big,he never reached beyond his familiarity until too late.

LL has to bring this coming in. But as far as prep, dev and coaching smarts, he unlike SF doesnt have to unlearn patterns in practices, game time scenarios etc, IOW, he's had much more been there than SF ever did.
If he's willing and able to bring some right fitting recruiting/developing coaches in, we may have our guy IMO

Great article @N2FL and the more I hear about Leipold, the more I like him. I watched him in a couple of interviews and he's well-spoken and the dude has Kansas at 5-0 so he knows how to get kids to fit his system quickly and coach them up. With even more football resources at Lincoln, I am intrigued by what he could do.

@N2FL, 1st, does the Husker job look more attractive to potential HC hires if the team continues to win? Showing that the roster has decent talent and is able to win without a major overhaul? It does look like the team is responding to the current coaches and the changed they have made. 2nd, Assuming that the current roster has not been developed like they should have been by previous coaches , how does anyone truly evaluate the current roster?

If Trev says good, I’ll say good.
I like the MJ & DA angle personally but I just show up and sit in the back. Kinda like church. :Lol:

@N2FL, 1st, does the Husker job look more attractive to potential HC hires if the team continues to win? Showing that the roster has decent talent and is able to win without a major overhaul? It does look like the team is responding to the current coaches and the changed they have made. 2nd, Assuming that the current roster has not been developed like they should have been by previous coaches , how does anyone truly evaluate the current roster?
I will say this, looking like an all bus team actually has meaning to great coaching.

I like Patterson, and think he would have been a good hire during one of our other searches. The issue now, is that it doesn't seem like he wants to have the work load. By turning down P5 coordinator positions, in lieu of a "special assistant" position, make it seem like he might be ready to step away from the rigors that coming with being a head coach.

That said, he has one of the best resumes of success of the currently "available" head coaches. I just think we might have missed the boat on his best years.

I don't think it matters because the next coach is going to address the roster either way. They'll have access to game tape to see who they want to keep and who they'll encourage to leave. This is also where an incumbent assistant coach or two usually helps the new coach by giving an honest assessment of the roster.

The next coach will hit the portal to flip the roster a bit anyways.

I don't think it matters because the next coach is going to address the roster either way. They'll have access to game tape to see who they want to keep and who they'll encourage to leave. This is also where an incumbent assistant coach or two usually helps the new coach by giving an honest assessment of the roster.

The next coach will hit the portal to flip the roster a bit anyways.
Just curious why Dave Aranda wasn't a name you mentioned. Is it because you dont think we have a shot with him or do you think he is a bad fit.

Great, well thought out article, but I am a no on both. While I don't have a reasonable argument, the feeling of either one of those two doesn't really excite me.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back