• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Two hit portal

So maybe Cook hits the portal?
There was talk that B1G player of the year 2022 Taylor Landfair was down to Wisconsin and Nebraska, but also rumored that she is looking for 6 rotations — and with Beason, Murray playing 6 rotation now, and our talented back row, that doesn’t seem like a good fit. And we have 4 scholarship OH. So if Landfair doesn’t come, I would think we would get the best Middle and/or Right side depth we could find in the Portal to make up for CJ and MM transferring.

Last edited:

We down one now???
My understanding is that Mauch will not be on scholarship until 2025. If that is true, then yes, NU has a scholarship available for this Fall. Maybe Cook recruits a middle blocker or right-side pin hitter from the portal, or maybe he puts Mauch on scholarship right away. I don't know what he is going to do. In my opinion, the biggest need is at middle blocker.

There was talk that B1G played of the year 2022 Taylor Landfair was down to Wisconsin and Nebraska, but also rumored that she is looking for 6 rotations — and with Beason, Murray playing 6 rotation now, and our talented back row, that doesn’t seem like a good fit. And we have 4 scholarship OH. So if Landfair doesn’t come, I would think we would get the best Middle and/or Right side depth we could find in the Portal to make up for CJ and MM transferring.
I would be very surprised if Landfair goes to either Wisconsin or Nebraska. She is not a good 6 rotation player, and I think wherever she goes she will insist on playing 6 rotations. She should try Kentucky. They just had a bunch of players leave so they are probably in need of good players.

I think Landfair might be a mistake. Not convinced she is healthy based on the limited play I've seen from her. I'd want a full physical workup to insure her abdominal injury is 100% healed. Not sure it is.

She made several nasty comments about Cook on social media. My understanding is that she thought or expected Nebraska would hold her scholarship spot for her. Why she would think that I don't know, because it is crazy to think a program like Nebraska would hold her scholarship open while they wait for her to decide whether or when she wanted to return to playing volleyball. Neither John Cook nor any other coach would agree to that.

I think Beason is a better player anyway, so I don't miss Lauenstein. I wish her all the best at Texas. Unless Rutherford gets injured, I don't expect to see Lauenstein playing much.
You guys are remembering this differently than what I’ve been told. I’m told WL hadn’t left the team or had her scholarship yanked but was pregnant and questioning her commitment to playing. So Cook got Beason, who is an upgrade over WL in my opinion. WL was unhappy Cook didn’t wait until she decided, but her scholarship was apparently still hers at that point. I’m piecing this together from WL’s social media posts and what I’ve read on a volleyball message board.

WL comes out looking unreasonable here.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if Landfair goes to either Wisconsin or Nebraska. She is not a good 6 rotation player, and I think wherever she goes she will insist on playing 6 rotations. She should try Kentucky. They just had a bunch of players leave so they are probably in need of good players.
No thanks to Landfair. She seemed ultra low energy last year and really struggled receiving serves.

Could be, I don't know what she was thinking when she made the decision. My guess is she is regretting it now. I don't think she will beat out Rutherford and will likely be spending a lot of time sitting on the bench. Maybe she will make good NIL money at Texas, so perhaps it is worth it for that alone. Who knows?

I thought she should have gone to Creighton. She would have been a star there, and she would be close to home.
WL would be behind Sis and Martin at Creighton. She would have contributed there but doubt she would have been a star.

WL would be behind Sis and Martin at Creighton. She would have contributed there but doubt she would have been a star.
Sis and Martin are OHs. Bichelmeyer was the starting right-side hitter for Creighton. She was a senior this past year. I have little doubt that Lauenstein would be starting on the right side in 2024 if she had chosen Creighton instead of Texas. Creighton was plagued by lack of production from their right-side hitters all year. Lauenstein would alleviate that problem.

Not excited we got Landfair. Don’t think she helps much and I’ve heard she had a toxic relationship with the other players at Minnesota.

Not excited we got Landfair. Don’t think she helps much and I’ve heard she had a toxic relationship with the other players at Minnesota.

I will trust Coach Cook’s judgement.

Last edited:
Not a fan of acquiring transfers from within the conference. It has always seemed a little bit of "dirty pool" to me. Especially seeing how Wisconsin poached top conference-wide talent.

But it is what it is.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back