• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Tuesday 27 August Post Practice Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't read thru it all but we do understand that the reason ZA isn't being "considered a starter" for the Wyoming game is because they are going 4 wide? I would truly be concerned if he could cover a slot better than Gerry or Seisay, that would mean we aren't as deep in the secondary as everyone thought. But if he can cover a slot receiver, watch out, this defense could be scary good.

If he knew the defense as well as Santos he would be the one not leaving the field in dime. No knock on ZA, but Bo and JP aren't comfortable enough with him to get the defense aligned properly and check to things during motion. He is way better when Santos shouts out what to do so he doesn't have to think and can just go "get ball".

Last edited:

Didn't read thru it all but we do understand that the reason ZA isn't being "considered a starter" for the Wyoming game is because they are going 4 wide? I would truly be concerned if he could cover a slot better than Gerry or Seisay, that would mean we aren't as deep in the secondary as everyone thought. But if he can cover a slot receiver, watch out, this defense could be scary good.

If he knew the defense as well as Santos he would be the one not leaving the field in dime. No knock on ZA, but Bo and JP aren't comfortable enough with him to get the defense aligned properly and check to things during motion. He is way better when Santos shouts out what to do so he doesn't have to think and can just go "get ball".

Makes sense to me.

Is that right?.......:lol: Well, you must be misquoting him now...... Because NOBODY whom has been there throughout fall camp is suggesting that Santos is a better LB than ZA. Not discrediting Santos, as he is a stud also. He got his spot not only because of his athletic ability but also his understanding of the defense. Not only his position (MIKE) but also the other two LB positions, the line, & the secondary. The MIKE position is like the "QB" of defense. No others can make the calls like him.

I don't care if the media isn't declaring Santos as being the best. I have not seen much chatter from the media about ZA being the best either. When it comes down to it, like I said, I do trust my buddy.

Santos has his Blackshirt, he was the only LB to get his Blackshirt. Does that mean he's automatically the best LB? I wouldn't say so. But it should be at the very least, a sign that ZA is not clearly the best LB. It's another reason why I certainly trust my buddy. He was right about AT looking to be redshirted, he was right about Turner leading the punt returner race, he's been right for years. I have seen nothing that has me thinking he's not right about Santos. At least not yet. Santos is going to be HUGE for us this year.

What exactly has you so convinced that ZA is obviously our best LB?

Last edited:
That makes a ton of sense too....:)

Most of our opponents at the beginning of the year will be in a spread offense. Again, this is not to knock ZA. I've heard nothing but great things about his progression this camp. He's the most talented LB we have from a physical standpoint, but we all know being a great LB goes beyond that. Santos starting, Santos being the only LB with a Blackshirt, these are things that SHOULD cause hesitation to those fans on this board who are so adamant and so convinced that ZA is clearly better than Santos.

Most of our opponents at the beginning of the year will be in a spread offense. Again, this is not to knock ZA. I've heard nothing but great things about his progression this camp. He's the most talented LB we have from a physical standpoint, but we all know being a great LB goes beyond that. Santos starting, Santos being the only LB with a Blackshirt, these are things that SHOULD cause hesitation to those fans on this board who are so adamant and so convinced that ZA is clearly better than Santos.

Athletically and as a football player, he is head and shoulders above Santos. But as you said, there is more that goes into it. I promise you he would have his blackshirt if it wasn't based on years of busting your tail in the program.

It will be interesting to see who shines at the LB spot when both are on the field...

Last edited:
Their practice level. What they've shown in practice up to now. Both have done fantastic, but Gerry has been just a notch above any other freshman except maybe TE Carter.

He will play. But, according to the coaches yesterday, he may not start. IF he doesn't start, any of this bravado about ZA clearly being our best LB should end immediately. As stated, I expect him to start. But as of yesterday and according to the coaches, ZA is still battling Gerry and Seisay. I don't consider is "coach speak" when the coaches are not reluctant to declare certain players as starters. Santos, Ankrah, Randle, Ciante...all defenders that the coaches have had no problem stating will start. If ZA is clearly out best LB, and if he is clearly going to start, I think they'd say it.

My buddy has been dead-on time and time again. Quite a few here can vouch for that.
I would have to say that Anderson is definitely the best LB. The fact is that the coaches are trying to determine whether Zaire, Mo, or Gerry is the best Peso when they face certain offenses.

Is Santos the best Mike? Absolutely. Is he the best LB on the roster? Open to debate.
Is Bando pressing him? Yes, Banderas is destined to be the best MLB Pelini has had in his tenure.

Is Anderson the best Will? No question. Is he better in coverage situations than Seisay or Gerry? That has yet to be determined. I think the coaching staff would like to be able to leave Zaire on the field most of the time, but if the situation demands a better coverage guy were likely to see No or Gerry.

Athletically and as a football player, he is head and shoulders above Santos. But as you said, there is more that goes into it. I promise you he would have his blackshirt if it wasn't based on years of busting your tail in the program.

It will be interesting to see who shines at the LB spot when both are on the field...
While I wouldn't put it quite that way I would have to agree with you.

Didn't read thru it all but we do understand that the reasonZA isn't being "considered a starter" for the Wyoming game is because they are going 4 wide? I would truly be concerned if he could cover a slot better than Gerry or Seisay, that would mean we aren't as deep in the secondary as everyone thought. But if he can cover a slot receiver, watch out, this defense could be scary good.

No need to be concerned, because both of those guys have the ability to enhance what we have in the secondary. ZA to my knowledge has a slightly different approach (technique) when in coverage, a bit more physical if you will than those two, which allows him to jam a receiver at the LOS, but he has the agility and speed not to be burned if faced with a crafty slot that gets free early.

I think the big issue with a lot of fans, not just on this board is that when they hear that one player is being inserted to do something that another player is normally asked to do, then they fear, that other player isn't as good as hoped. That is not always the case. The coaches want to be able to keep up the tempo on both sides of the ball. One way to do that is have players who can perform multiple tasks comfortably so that when you rush to the LOS you can snap the ball before the defense is able to sub. On the flip side, they want to be able to defend that type of offense also, so you get defenders whom are able perform multiple tasks also. Because if the offense doesn't sub during the hurry up offense, then the refs won't give the defense time to sub either, so we would have to waste a timeout or get burned on the plays because we have the wrong personnel on the field for what they are showing.

As you point out, ZA is not being "projected" as the starter due to the ignorance of what Wyoming will showcase in their opening sets. Thus, the staff may insert an extra DB (Gerry/Seisay) over a LB. It's not necessarily meaning that ZA is getting beat out at the WILL as another poster keeps hinting to.

You are spot on with your second paragraph. ZA is just not getting comfortable in what he is asked to do. That doesn't mean he is ready to "run the defense" and make the calls. I think it's a great thing at this point as he can be that "pit bull" and just go make the play. Gerry will be similar to that this season also.

I don't care if the media isn't declaring Santos as being the best. I have not seen much chatter from the media about ZA being the best either. When it comes down to it, like I said, I do trust my buddy.

Santos has his Blackshirt, he was the only LB to get his Blackshirt. Does that mean he's automatically the best LB? I wouldn't say so. But it should be at the very least, a sign that ZA is not clearly the best LB. It's another reason why I certainly trust my buddy. He was right about AT looking to be redshirted, he was right about Turner leading the punt returner race, he's been right for years. I have seen nothing that has me thinking he's not right about Santos. At least not yet. Santos is going to be HUGE for us this year.

What exactly has you so convinced that ZA is obviously our best LB?

You completely miss the entire point and logic in the post. I am not able to dumb it down anymore than I already have.

And the stuff you are claiming your "buddy" was right about is things that have been said repeatedly through the media. It's easy to say AT is looking to redshirt when there are tweets suggesting Taylor may possibly redshirt. Easy to say Turner is leading the punt returning comp, when articles have already said, Turner is projected as the starting punt returner, etc........ In other words.......STOP. You, nor me, nor anyone else is bringing anymore information than what the coaches have already allowed to be out already, no matter who we know or claim to be our "source". If I'm told something that the coaches haven't or don't want out yet or at all, I don't mention it. But the information we are bring to this forum is the information the staff gives out to media and/or insiders.

So if you got that information for your "buddy" and he is always correct, it's probably because your buddy is reading the same articles/tweets/forums we all are getting thus is why you comment about it after it's already been posted. If you would have had that information before hand, I'm sure you would have put it on the board well before we had an article/podcast/tweet telling us about it........

THIS

Agree....

You completely miss the entire point and logic in the post. I am not able to dumb it down anymore than I already have.

And the stuff you are claiming your "buddy" was right about is things that have been said repeatedly through the media. It's easy to say AT is looking to redshirt when there are tweets suggesting Taylor may possibly redshirt. Easy to say Turner is leading the punt returning comp, when articles have already said, Turner is projected as the starting punt returner, etc........ In other words.......STOP. You, nor me, nor anyone else is bringing anymore information than what the coaches have already allowed to be out already, no matter who we know or claim to be our "source". If I'm told something that the coaches haven't or don't want out yet or at all, I don't mention it. But the information we are bring to this forum is the information the staff gives out to media and/or insiders.

So if you got that information for your "buddy" and he is always correct, it's probably because your buddy is reading the same articles/tweets/forums we all are getting thus is why you comment about it after it's already been posted. If you would have had that information before hand, I'm sure you would have put it on the board well before we had an article/podcast/tweet telling us about it........

I'll keep this short since I'm on my IPhone. The media was not talking about AT redshirting before I posted a thread on it. There was also no media talk of JT being the leader at punt returner before I mentioned it. If you can find otherwise, please post it. I'd love to see t. And I can go back years with this. Javoria Burkes and his situation and much more.

But beyond that, I won't discuss that aspect further. If you don't want to believe it, that's fine.

Last edited:

Athletically? Yes, he's clearly the best athlete, with the most physical, natural ability? Head and shoulders better than Santos as a football player? No, unless you meant athletically still, then I'd not argue that point.

I think Santos and ZA will shine. Santos will be our MVP of the LB group, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back