• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Trimming The Fat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
From the front page a Hail Varsity article.....fantastic stuff....love this kind of article...:)

Here’s an easy example. Nebraska’s offense ranks first in the Big Ten, Wisconsin’s ranks fourth. Easy enough to understand, both offenses are capable of moving the ball. Limit it to conference play only and the Huskers fall to third while the Badgers stay at fourth. What that raw rankings don’t consider is that, in conference play, Nebraska played against the eight best defenses it could have faced. Wisconsin got to face Illinois (10[SUP]th[/SUP] in total defense), Purdue (11[SUP]th[/SUP]), and Indiana (12[SUP]th[/SUP]).

In terms of score, it wasn’t very true. Nebraska was more than three points better than Wisconsin in September. The two short fields mentioned above resulted in 14 Wisconsin points. On the stat sheet, Nebraska dominated in almost every other category – 24 first downs to 17, 259 rushing yards to 56, 440 total yards to 295. On the score sheet, the difference was a field goal. (Incidentally, both teams missed one in that game.)

But the number that really jumps out is three. That’s the number of punts Wisconsin forced the first time around and Nebraska’s fewest for any Big Ten game. The Badgers forced two three-and-outs in the first half, but the only punt of the second half came after an eight-play drive where Nebraska bled 4:38 off the clock in the fourth quarter while maintaining a three-point lead. Neither team likely came away dissatisfied with that drive.

Overall, Wisconsin really struggled to stop Nebraska the first time out, which puts me in a unique position. In general, I’m cautious when it comes to Nebraska’s chances, perhaps overly so, but in terms of pure team strength I think the Huskers are about two scores better than Wisconsin.

Much, much more of one of the best articles I hae read this year: http://hailvarsity.com/2012/11/trimming-the-fat/

Thanks for posting RR, really good article. I have been to both of our contests with Wisconsin and I really feel this time if we can be fundementally sound on defense and we hang onto the ball on offense we will cruise to a comfortable win. BBR

Very cool article that does lots of number crunching. On Saturday though, the crunching will be happening on the field.

Thanks for posting RR, really good article. I have been to both of our contests with Wisconsin and I really feel this time if we can be fundementally sound on defense and we hang onto the ball on offense we will cruise to a comfortable win. BBR

And Iowa. And MSU. And NW. And PSU.

And Iowa. And MSU. And NW. And PSU.

If if's and what's where cherries and nuts they'd all be playing on Sundays... ;) okay that was bad. Seriously though, the way I see it, all the rankings on offense mean little when we continually make mistakes. By those statistics we should have dominated the teams that we barely beat. One of the most overlooked statistics in that article is NU's rank in terms of turnover margin- 100th. You can have all the offensive yards you want, but if you turn the ball over frequently, that certainly nullifies progress.

We may beat Wisconsin (I'm not all that confident) but it is important to remember that we struggled to win at home, at night, in an atmosphere set for high performance. The offense looked miserable during the first half and luckily snapped out of it in the second, much like so many other games. Will that trend continue? Will the team play a full 4 (or even 3) quarters solidly? Or will the faltering take over? Who knows, but statistics about prior play really mean nothing- they are hardly predictive for this team IMO.

I do like to see/read these articles on statistical probablities, but one thing that they do not, and can not, take into account is injuries. These stats on Nebraska's defense do not take into account the anchor of the D-line (Steinkuhler) will not play Saturday. Same with a key O-lineman (Jackson) missing the game, especially since as center handles the ball on every play. Will the back up make every shot gun snap? One or two errors could be the differnce in the outcome of the game. Can the D=line overcome the lose of their best, most consistent player? How can statistics evauluate and consider these issues? They can't. Statistics are great for looking backwards, but are pretty dicey for looking forward.

As i posted on another thread after watching the game again a couple days ago the stat sheet showed 2 turnovers by NU but i would argue that the roughing the punter was just as bad (rather than us have the ball at the 20 they got it at the 50) as was the stupid penality by Stafford for PI- ball was no way going to be caught and he hit the receiver without knowing where the ball was- he is playning much better as of late (I think he had 5-6 15tarders this year but most were early in the season). That was a 3rd down so we would have had the ball there as well.

Those are 4 pretty big errors- 3 of which they scored on and limited our chance of extra possessions. If we were healthy i would worry less but still am confident.

I do like to see/read these articles on statistical probablities, but one thing that they do not, and can not, take into account is injuries.

This logic works both ways. I would agree that it will be hard to replace Steinkuhler and Jackson but on the other hand, I would prefer to do that than replace the QB (Stave) and have my second leading tackler playing his first game in 3 weeks due to a bad hamstring (Borland), if at all. I would agree that the stats can be deceiving, but on the other hand they are dealing with just as much as we are on the injury front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back