• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trev says $15-20 million per year for player salaries

I can almost hear the bubble burst now. Hopefully Trev didn't leave because the UNL admin was opposed to the idea of revenue sharing. The courts are leaning toward making this a reality and the NCAA is powerless to stop it. NU is likely one of the few small schools (in terms of enrollment) that will survive. The KSU's of the world likely won't be able to compete financially.

It's not a matter of opposing revenue sharing. It's more like "who can afford to revenue share at a cost of $15-20 million a year, just for starters?"

If Trev thought we were a candidate for survival, he wouldn't be in College Station right now.

Last edited:

Not to derail the thread, cause "who cares about Iowa", but isn't their athletic department in the hole with money? Or was that just during COVID as BIG10 money should have gotten them out of that jam by now "mshrug:. GBR
I think their new renovations put them in the hole a little if memory serves.
But they know their limitations, and there's ISU to consider as well. They have less per capita with two uni's than we do here, and not the same level of support, not that its easy here.

It's not a matter of opposing revenue sharing. It's more like "who can afford to revenue share at a cost of $15-20 million a year, just for starters?"

If Trev thought we were a candidate for survival, he wouldn't be in College Station right now.
Disagree here. I think it was more of an opposition of support, but I also believe they're both right.
As you said, only a handful. Who wants that? So this handful beats up everyone else then they're all invited to the playoffs as they've already all played each other? Do you think this is a fiscally sound sell?

Not me. The dissenters Trev likely ran into here are right as well.
The stories of downsizing may yet happen, but the product has to be diverse enough not to collapse on its own through some poorly thought out have and have not scenario.

Building upgrading now as Trev did puts us ahead of the curve for awhile, smart move, it needs to be finished. And going back to those handful, its likely only them free to catch up with high dollar improvements down the road.
The future will be getting state government supports for such things, and is why states having multiple universities will be stressed to keep pace.

Disagree here. I think it was more of an opposition of support, but I also believe they're both right.
As you said, only a handful. Who wants that? So this handful beats up everyone else then they're all invited to the playoffs as they've already all played each other? Do you think this is a fiscally sound sell?

Not me. The dissenters Trev likely ran into here are right as well.
The stories of downsizing may yet happen, but the product has to be diverse enough not to collapse on its own through some poorly thought out have and have not scenario.

Building upgrading now as Trev did puts us ahead of the curve for awhile, smart move, it needs to be finished. And going back to those handful, its likely only them free to catch up with high dollar improvements down the road.
The future will be getting state government supports for such things, and is why states having multiple universities will be stressed to keep pace.

I don’t see the state of Texas subsidizing any pro sports.

I don’t see the state of Texas subsidizing any pro sports.
Then the number of top competitors if left as is, or currently as open as it may become will drop quite a bit in Texas.
Unless Texas can figure out a way to help one state uni and not another.
Being employees can arguably be seen as with any part of any uni.
If Texas has never helped any uni in the past then there is no precedent.
That neither stops them from creating a new precedent or maintaining the status quo.
But, if other states are willing, lets wait and see just how much pride those Texicans have.
And just to clarify, I am speaking on stadium upgrades and the like, as I see no way uni's on their own with the player/employer costs allowing for such upgrades on many campus'

Last edited:
Then the number of top competitors if left as is, or currently as open as it may become will drop quite a bit in Texas.
Unless Texas can figure out a way to help one state uni and not another.
Being employees can arguably be seen as with any part of any uni.
If Texas has never helped any uni in the past then there is no precedent.
That neither stops them from creating a new precedent or maintaining the status quo.
But, if other states are willing, lets wait and see just how much pride those Texicans have.
And just to clarify, I am speaking on stadium upgrades and the like, as I see no way uni's on their own with the player/employer costs allowing for such upgrades on many campus'

Yeah, Tejas isn’t going to get into the pro sports business. UT, aTm, and SMU have $ billions at their disposal. Sofa change.

Most of that money will come from a new t.v. deal which will be inked after the official P2 is formed.

However, when the athletes are determined to be employees, you will have MASSIVE issues with the other sports (I know, I'm beating a dead horse). $15MM is a good chunk but are you really going to pay each employee the same amount? The QB gets paid the same as the backup women's dart player? Obviously not, which is going to lead to screams about disparate pay (not Title IX). That's going to lead to schools cutting programs. It's also going to lead to the Big12, PAC, ACC, etc... schools folding up varsity sports (maybe a few keep bball).

I don't want my tax dollars going to paying players or insane facility improvements if that's where this is going. This all needs to be self supported based on the income it can generate on it's own. That or it needs to become separate business entity that is not tied to the state.

I don't want my tax dollars going to paying players or insane facility improvements if that's where this is going. This all needs to be self supported based on the income it can generate on it's own. That or it needs to become separate business entity that is not tied to the state.
Operating costs are what they are. If you have a lab that goes through megawatts of energy, you provide that energy or you don't have the lab.

At some point, buildings need to be refurbished. If a athletic dept can make excess amount of dollars, gets a pool of dollars together over time, gets fundraising going and maintains that excess of monies you can improve your stadium. Paying out that 15-20 million a year somewhat destroys this approach for many schools, so no pools of monies, lower revenues no matter the fundraising.
Its a sure path to haves have nots

Depends on what state you live in, but I'm guessing most of this will come from tv, apparel, and boosters.

So Tech, Houston, Rice etc are on their own? Ouch

All of them are on their own in Tejas. The state won’t be sponsoring pro sports, 100% guaranteed.

Tech might be ok though. Last I heard, their enrollment was well above 40K. Lots of students to tax. But as I mentioned earlier, this is boiling down to 8-10 schools that can hang. Neither Tech nor NU will be among them. Unless Buffett suddenly starts writing some checks.

TCU is loaded, but not SMU loaded.

Last edited:

All of them are on their own in Tejas. The state won’t be sponsoring pro sports, 100% guaranteed.

Tech might be ok though. Last I heard, their enrollment was well above 40K. Lots of students to tax. But as I mentioned earlier, this is boiling down to 8-10 schools that can hang. Neither Tech nor NU will be among them. Unless Buffett suddenly starts writing some checks.

TCU is loaded, but not SMU loaded.
OK, so they all have a half a billion to lay down? And support for that? With some manner of justification?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back