• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Transfers in a cancelled season

berryhusker

Travel Squad
15 Year Member
This is something I thought of recently and don't believe I've read elsewhere.

If this season is cancelled, either across the board or for a few conferences/non P5, will the NCAA allow this year to count as a transfer's 'sit-out' year in terms of eligibility? Or will the NCAA not count it and require the 2021 season be the sit-out year? I could see this having drastic consequences either way.

If several teams' seasons or all are cancelled:

1) NCAA allows this season to count for eligibility and players can count it as their sit-out year. I think there will be a barrage of transfers like we've never seen before. Because nobody (or very teams) will be playing, if a player had already considered transferring, might as well sit since they would anyway and prepare to start 2021 on a different team. Even if the season goes forward with some conferences, it may not seem like a 'real' season anyway and players feeling that way may bounce as well.

2) NCAA does not allow 2020 to count for eligibility except for teams who play a season. This could cause players to be stuck not wanting to essentially miss 2 seasons and avoid transferring for that reason. Then transfers may be highly unlikely.

All speculation obviously, and I may not be thinking of everything correctly. I would love to hear from those more knowledgeable than me about how this could play out. In any case it will be interesting to see how the next 2-3 months play out in terms of the FB season, transfers, recruiting, etc. No matter what happens it will be new territory for everyone and we'll get to see how it all unfolds, for better or worse.

Yeah, I would think they will choose to not require an additional sit out. Gotta let people get on with their lives.

This is something I thought of recently and don't believe I've read elsewhere.

If this season is cancelled, either across the board or for a few conferences/non P5, will the NCAA allow this year to count as a transfer's 'sit-out' year in terms of eligibility? Or will the NCAA not count it and require the 2021 season be the sit-out year? I could see this having drastic consequences either way.

If several teams' seasons or all are cancelled:

1) NCAA allows this season to count for eligibility and players can count it as their sit-out year. I think there will be a barrage of transfers like we've never seen before. Because nobody (or very teams) will be playing, if a player had already considered transferring, might as well sit since they would anyway and prepare to start 2021 on a different team. Even if the season goes forward with some conferences, it may not seem like a 'real' season anyway and players feeling that way may bounce as well.

2) NCAA does not allow 2020 to count for eligibility except for teams who play a season. This could cause players to be stuck not wanting to essentially miss 2 seasons and avoid transferring for that reason. Then transfers may be highly unlikely.

All speculation obviously, and I may not be thinking of everything correctly. I would love to hear from those more knowledgeable than me about how this could play out. In any case it will be interesting to see how the next 2-3 months play out in terms of the FB season, transfers, recruiting, etc. No matter what happens it will be new territory for everyone and we'll get to see how it all unfolds, for better or worse.
First I AM NOT MORE NAWLEGEBLE but do have thoughts.
I too look forward to see how this plays out. Some closed, Some all out open with no plan, (sec). Personally feel that no player who is on a team, and that team chooses not to play whether the school/conference closes it down or the school doesn't meet NCAA criteria shouldn't be penalized and be allowed instant eligibility to transer. These are times not to punish people. do that next year. IMO
ALSO, This is unique situation that no one could fathom this a few months ago. Some areas seem affected more then others and I applaud the caution of shutting it down for a while should not have to bear the cost alone.
So my plan (which doesn't have a snowballs chance) would be that the playing schools and conferences put their money into a huge pool to be divided between the non-playing. Perhaps the thought of not getting the whole piece of pie would lead school leadership to use caution to rush to the end zone.

my thoughts.

Athletics are soon going to turn into a decade-long commitment for students. 5 years to play 4, then medical redshirts, then COVID redshirts. Our 2020 class could still be playing in 2026! Seems like we could make this a lot easier if we just said "you can play college ball until your 25th birthday" and call it good.

Last edited:
All the international news now centers on a second wave... as in wave goodbye to football in the fall. Other than the 1918 pandemic do "they" have any evidence that it is a foregone conclusion? Sure seems scary though. :O O:

All the international news now centers on a second wave... as in wave goodbye to football in the fall. Other than the 1918 pandemic do "they" have any evidence that it is a foregone conclusion? Sure seems scary though. :O O:
As much as I would love to see college football this season I hope science prevails. These young men have their lives ahead of them it would be absolutely horrible to lose one young life because the powers that be didn’t follow sound advice.

As much as I would love to see college football this season I hope science prevails. These young men have their lives ahead of them it would be absolutely horrible to lose one young life because the powers that be didn’t follow sound advice.
The young, while not immune to Wuhan virus are pretty darned safe. I bet more 20 years olds die in car accidents in a give year than will die from the virus, by several factors.

There is A LOT more to consider. We are talking hundreds of thousands of jobs really tied to CFB being played this year and thousands of scholarships in sports which likely get cut if CFB is not played.

I hope Science is followed and the science thus far indicates these young guys will overwhelmingly be ok even if they contract it.

The young, while not immune to Wuhan virus are pretty darned safe. I bet more 20 years olds die in car accidents in a give year than will die from the virus, by several factors.

There is A LOT more to consider. We are talking hundreds of thousands of jobs really tied to CFB being played this year and thousands of scholarships in sports which likely get cut if CFB is not played.

I hope Science is followed and the science thus far indicates these young guys will overwhelmingly be ok even if they contract it.
Agree on the car accident and yes, they may be ok, but....
Testing is turning into a quagmire, with people testing oky twice then testing a third time and finding infection, and on and on.
too early to tell. "Hey Johnny, go deep for a pass, then run to visit grandpa". The infected become carriers. And truthfully they don't know the long term effect on youngens.
Good people without their jobs are at stake and opening up has to start happening at some time, but this virus is new and they are still learning the effect on people who aren't old with respiratory problems.

I'll be curious to see the course of action that will happen after SEC vote friday.

or hate to see them pass the virus onto another person.

It’s becoming clear that the $$$ involved in NCAA football will be a factor in playing.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back