• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Total Solar Eclipse

Hooked on Huskers

I'm old as a rock
15 Year Member
eclipse20172014.jpg

I had traveled from Norman to Fairmont NE, August 21 2017. Surprisedly lot of eclipse freaks. Practically bumper-to-bumper traffic from Fairmont to Salina KS. And numerous car state plates, even Mexico plates.

I initially thought total darkness. Not true. In reality twilight zone. Though spooky !!

Anyway, probably next eclipse chaser trip, April 8 2024 .... my birthday !!

Annular solar eclipse is not rare. Different than total solar eclipse ... very rare. If I remember right, the next total solar eclipse in SE Nebraska path will be 2245 year.

solar1.png

Saturday October 14. Thousands of college football fans. Eclipse will begin at 10:04AM and end around 2:13PM (CDT). I think Austin TX path .... @HuskerWeatherman

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/fans-players-sun-impacts-football-games

;) :Biggrin:

Last edited:

eclipse20172014.jpg

I had traveled from Norman to Fairmont NE, August 21 2017. Surprisedly lot of eclipse freaks. Practically bumper-to-bumper traffic from Fairmont to Salina KS. And numerous car state plates, even Mexico plates.

I initially thought total darkness. Not true. In reality twilight zone. Though spooky !!

Anyway, probably next eclipse chaser trip, April 8 2024 .... my birthday !!

Astronomers say an annular solar eclipse is not rare. Different than total solar eclipse ... very rare. If I remember right, the next total solar eclipse in SE Nebraska path will be 2245 year.

solar1.png

Saturday October 14. Thousands of college football fans. Eclipse will begin at 10:04AM and end around 2:13PM (CDT). I think Austin TX path .... @HuskerWeatherman

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/fans-players-sun-impacts-football-games

;) :Biggrin:

I forgot that the totality of these this most recent North American & the April 2024 eclipses run right through Central Texas. We were 90% in Houston on the annular. We are just a few hours drive from the totality zone for April, so it I will wait and drive the the appropriate areas. No need to try to find lodging.

There was an interesting impact on both Solar and Wind power production in Texas (and California also) with this October eclipse. The Solar component wasn't nearly as big in both TX and Cali back in 2017 and the totality zone was much further north, for those impacts to show up significantly on the power grid (too bad @HuskerWeatherman has bailed).

But my biggest take away - learning experience was I didn't realize that the eclipse runs west to east and the speed of it. It took me while to figure out the math (geometry, trig) and Physics of why that is. But I think I figured out the answer correctly. I mean the sun and moon rise in the east 7 set in the west, so why wouldn't the eclipse run east to west, too... Well I think I figured it out; kind of hard to think about & counter intuitive. Learn something new every day. Just don't want someone to tell me it is so, I wanted to figure it out for myself. Fun!

Last edited:
I forgot that the totality of these this most recent North American & the April 2024 eclipses run right through Central Texas. We were 90% in Houston on the annular. We are just a few hours drive from the totality zone for April, so it I will wait and drive the the appropriate areas. No need to try to find lodging.

There was an interesting impact on both Solar and Wind power production in Texas (and California also) with this October eclipse. The Solar component wasn't nearly as big in both TX and Cali back in 2017 and the totality zone was much further north, for those impacts to show up significantly on the power grid (too bad @HuskerWeatherman has bailed).

But my biggest take away - learning experience was I didn't realize that the eclipse runs west to east and the speed of it. It took me while to figure out the math (geometry, trig) and Physics of why that is. But I think I figured out the answer correctly. I mean the sun and moon rise in the east, so why wouldn't the eclipse run east to west, too... Well I think I figured it out. Learn something new every day. Just don't want someone to tell me it is so, I wanted to figure it out for myself. Fun!
400+ miles trip, August 21 2017. Well worth it .....

And Mother Nature show was FREE tickets ;)

Last edited:

Well, the ten day forecast is calling for rain on the 8th so, bummer. Hope they are wrong. Some counties down here are asking for disaster relief from the state to deal with the expected influx of tourists during the eclipse. Gonna be crazee...
As we inch closer, and I am watching the forecast it appears the entire country, (specifically texas) is expecting rain… is that the case or are they Just trying to minimize travelers? The weather channel seems notorious for such things. I’m planning to visit friends/god daughter in Oklahoma and head south a bit from there place… maybe Broken Bow area with a wide variable involved as a final destination. Saw 2017 from Casper Wyoming. Breathtaking experience it was in totality. If anyone is still up in the air, thinking that 75% - 90% is just as good, take the time and reach the totality zone, you won’t regret it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back