• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Top Five Formations Nebraska Should Use In 2012 (Updated With #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BornToBeRed

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
I'll be doing a five day series this week, counting down from #5.

First up: The Ace Formation

No. 5: Ace Formation

Base Personnel: Quarterback and one running back

Additional Personnel: Three wide receivers, one tight end or two wide receivers and two tight ends

Suggested Players: Quincy Enunwa, Kenny Bell, Jamal Turner, Kyler Reed/Ben Cotton, Rex Burkhead/Ameer Abdullah

The Formation
The Ace formation’s signature is the backfield setup. The quarterback is under center and one running back is five to six yards back. The variation comes in the number of wide receivers and tight ends.
This formation allows a team to line up as many as four wide receivers while leaving the option of multiple tight ends allowing a team to utilize it in a variety of ways, from deep passes to outside runs.

1. Kickoff Formation
2. Extra Point formation
3. Punt Return Formation
4. Goal line offense formation
5. Victory formation

In that order.

As opposed to the goal line defense formation? :)

Yeah. One says we're getting ready to score. The other says were getting ready to get scored on. :Biggrin: I kept it simple and vague for all the non-cafe type people over here on the football board. :thumbsup:

I'll be doing a five day series this week, counting down from #5.

First up: The Ace Formation
I understand what you are doing but IMO it is difficult to conjure up a discussion without comparison to other formations.

Besides the description of the Ace Formation is pretty generic ... one back with 2 or 3 WRs and 2 or 1 TEs.

I understand what you are doing but IMO it is difficult to conjure up a discussion without comparison to other formations.

Besides the description of the Ace Formation is pretty generic ... one back with 2 or 3 WRs and 2 or 1 TEs.

It's not meant to be comprehensive by any means. An in-depth look isn't the purpose of the series. Rather, it identifies a few of the common formations, who could be used, and types of plays that could be called from within the formation.

On the description, I acknowledge the brevity. Frankly, there are tons of ways the Huskers could rearrange the personnel for different calls. But again, this isn't meant to be end-to-end.

As for discussion, I'm open to talking the aspects of the formations. I'll be posting the rest of this series in this thread as they're put up. I'd love to have some back and forth on X's and O's.

Tuesday: #4

Number 4 on the list is the Shotgun. In particular, I take a look at two sets: 3 WRs/2 RBs and 5 WRs. That 3/2 set includes one of the best plays of 2011, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't care what the formation is as long as it works. If I were Beck I'd watch Chip Kelly Oregon and Rich Rodriguez West Virginia tape all summer. Those offenses run the ball well and I think that is Nebraska's strength.

Number 3: The Pistol

Base Personnel: Quarterback and one Running Back

Additional Personnel: Three wide receivers and one tight end or two wide receivers and two tight ends

Suggested Players: Quincy Enunwa, Kenny Bell, Jamal Turner, Kyler Reed/Ben Cotton, Rex Burkhead/Ameer Abdullah

The Formation
Unleashed in 2004, the Pistol formation is the brainchild of Chris Ault, head coach of the University of Nevada. With this formation as their primary set, the Wolfpack was the first school to record three 1,000 yard rushers in a single season with quarterback Colin Kaepernick and running backs Luke Lippincott and Vai Taua.
The formation features the quarterback three to four yards back from the center with the lone running back approximately three yards behind him.

If nothing else, read for what I want to see in our offense that we inexplicably haven't. I don't mention it in the article -- but Russell Wilson NAILED us for a touchdown with it last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back