• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tominaga - Season Two

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Here's a good article on Keisei!!! (w/video)

The 6-foot-2 guard is currently shooting 50% from the field, 42.6% from 3 and 100% from the free-throw line (16-for-16). He’s seventh in the Big Ten in true shooting percentage at 64.5%. Tominaga looks like an entirely different player this season in his second year at the Division I level — though he still plays with the same enthusiasm.

Tominaga vs Penn State (2/5/23)

30 Points for #30
  • Keisei Tominaga scored a career-high 30 points. His performance was the first 30-point game by a Husker since Alonzo Verge had 31 points against Michigan on Dec. 7, 2021. It marked his third 20-point game of the season. Before today, Tominaga’s career high was 23, most recently against Boston College on Nov. 30.
  • Tominaga’s five 3-pointers was a season high for any Husker. Tominaga was also the last Husker to have five 3-pointers in a game at NC State on Dec. 1, 2021
  • In the first half, Tominaga scored 14 points on 6-of-9 shooting, including 2-of-4 from beyond the arc. He then scored 16 points in the second half on 6-of-9 shooting, including 3-of-6 from the 3-point line. (Made 7 out of 8 two-point attempts from the field)
1675808707544.png

1675808748573.png

(I also happened to see this quote elsewhere:)

Rapheal Davis after the game: “This is the day that made me realize why they call him the Japanese Steph Curry because it goes beyond His shooting ability from the logo - he’s gonna make shots all over the floor but his ability to move without the basketball is big time, his game play is better live - guys not really seeing him, the cuts-he found ways to affect the game outside of the three-trying to get him looks and to 30 points in this game. And I don’t think Penn State respected him. I’ve been in this league, Ive played against guys in this league. And Tominaga doesn’t pass the look test for some guys and they treated him like a scrub and he made them pay every single play down the court

Excellent Article (and film study) in Hail Varsity (Jacob Padilla) on Keisei's 30-Point Game!!!

One of the best stories from the 2022-23 season for the Huskers has been the improvement from Keisei Tominaga in his second year in the program....... Tominaga led the Huskers to victory with a brilliant offensive performance.

Let’s take a deeper dive into how Tominaga was able to torch the Nittany Lions.................. It’s only right that we begin with his 3-pointers.
Here’s a look at all five triples he hit against the Nittany Lions — note the various locations, distances and types.........The fourth 3 was probably the most impressive by degree of difficulty. First, at no point did he stop moving in the possession, flying around running off screens or setting screens for others........ Funk recovered to meet him on the catch and didn’t fall for the pump-fake, so Tominaga took a dribble to his right and stepped back for the fadeaway 3 with 5 on the shot clock — bottom of the net.
Second Chance Points
The final 3 definitely shouldn’t have counted as Tominaga ran off a screen and lost the ball trying to rise up, but the official called it a tip by the defense, making it a missed 3 and an offensive rebound. Tominaga recovered the ball then rose up again, making his second chance count to put the exclamation point on the 30-piece.
Tominaga is more than just a shooter, however. He’s grown into an elite cutter, leveraging the attention teams pay to him on the perimeter to open up cutting lanes for easy buckets....... On the fifth clip, Camren Wynter is even face-guarding him in the corner. Wynter just barely turned his head but Tominaga noticed it and immediately cut along the baseline, and with how tight Wynter was he had no chance to recover.
Tominaga has become such a smart player, understanding how defenses are guarding him and taking advantage. If teams don’t respect him enough on the perimeter, he shoots with no hesitation. If teams load up to take away the perimeter threat, he makes them pay with back cuts.
(Lots more at the LInk)

Excellent Article (and film study) in Hail Varsity (Jacob Padilla) on Keisei's 30-Point Game!!!

Second Chance Points

(Lots more at the LInk)
Young kids should really watch how he cuts. He’s nearly elite at it. Knows exactly when to cut and what point/angle to take. You don’t see a lot of that anymore, it’s an art form.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back