• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Todd McShay Puts Frost in "Elite Group" / Vikings GM Rick Spielman Frost "Great Hire"

You are comparing MR to anyone, let alone Scott Frost? Wow, you are totally jaded. Sad, my friend. There is no comparing MR with anyone, period! Yuk!! Yeah, nice guy...so am I! That's all you can say about MR.
He didnt compare the 2. He said sports writers (some) were saying the same thing. Great hire

If it only takes two or three years to get where we should be we might consider that lucky. There is a reason he was given 7 years. Personally I would like to see small steps at getting better so that the success can be sustained, too good too soon might not be ideal. If that makes any sense.
I think what you are saying is, slow and steady wins the race.
stock-vector-rabbit-and-turtle-338377721.jpg

I will say though that statistics say that a coach will never go more than 1-2 games better than their best season in the 1st 3 years.

Frost "Great Hire"

three years ago .....

Riley "Great Hire" (numerous sportswriters)

Remember that?

Big differences are . . .

- Pretty much only writers said that about Riley

- "Great Hire" mentioned with Riley was typically followed with "nice guy" as the reason.

- "Great Hire" mentioned with Frost is usually followed with actual recent coaching/success related reasons.

Switzer ==> Gibbs-failed*** ==> Schnellenberger-failed ==> Blake-failed ==> Stoops-successful

T.O. ==> Solich-failed*** ==> Billy-failed ==> Bo-failed*** ==> Riley-failed ==> Frost-I hope successful

*** actually somewhat successful

Last edited:
3 years ago nobody was trying to hire Riley away from Oregon State.

This year, pretty much every P5 school with a head coach opening pursued Frost.

Good point. There is literally no one that thinks Frost was a bad hire. There were literally million of people who thought Riley was a bad hire.

Sure, Pederhorst's minions were able to find and/or coerce some positive statements out of a few people, but there was a huge silent majority who said a mouthful with their silence, plus another good size portion of fans who called a spade a spade.

Riley was obviously never going to work out. Frost is obviously going to go down as one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Switzer ==> Gibbs-failed*** ==> Schnellenberger-failed ==> Blake-failed ==> Stoops-successful

T.O. ==> Solich-failed*** ==> Billy-failed ==> Bo-failed*** ==> Riley-failed ==> Frost-I hope successful

*** actually somewhat successful

That's an excellent chart. Be interesting to add some of the B1G team histories - Bucknuts, Squawkeyes, etc.

Good point. There is literally no one that thinks Frost was a bad hire. There were literally million of people who thought Riley was a bad hire.

Sure, Pederhorst's minions were able to find and/or coerce some positive statements out of a few people, but there was a huge silent majority who said a mouthful with their silence, plus another good size portion of fans who called a spade a spade.

Riley was obviously never going to work out. Frost is obviously going to go down as one of the greatest coaches of all time.
Silliness

Last edited:
On paper Frost is a much better hire than Riley. And on paper there were probably better hires than Riley out there at the time we got him. Would have been nice if the guy before him hadn't been such a dick that our marginal AD overreacted when he replaced him, but that. like Riley, is water under the bridge now.

But making the comparison between the Frost and Riley hires misses an important point. The only way Nebraska was going to to get close to being able to hire a sterling up-and-comer like Frost who wouldn't just see Nebraska as a stepping stone job is if that coach had come from Nebraska.

I would say we are just damn lucky that Frost was from Nebraska and we were able to get him, but it wasn't all luck. There was a guy like Frost out there because Nebraska was once a great program and had a great man running it. So it isn't just luck - it was for a reason. And a good part of that reason is that overall, Nebraskans had more patience than not waiting for that man to become great.

We're all cocky and feeling our oats because we got this year's hot coach, as if Nebraska was such a hot brand that it was inevitable. But any other circumstances and it wouldn't be us. I hope we have the good sense to support this guy long enough for him to get us back to being a decent program. Because if this doesn't work, a string of Rileys might be all we ever see again.

Last edited:

I believe there are going to quite a few players in Frost's offense that are going to excel...some who were buried deep in the roster under Riley.

After watching the Auburn game, I'm actually really excited to see what the defense can do with Chinanders more aggressive style. Can't wait to see us unleash Colin Miller and Ben Stille after the QBs

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back