• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Timing is everything...

Every day that goes by is another day someone has turned down Frost. No one of any stature will be taking the OC job. Joseph only comes if he’s associate head coach. There is a good chance that someone who takes that position will be interim coach after game 8 during the bye week.

With all the coaching musical chairs, I think you have a lot of guys waiting for the dust to settle.

It's a bad year to be in the market for a head coach, but it might be an even worse year to be in the market for quality assistants. The USC, LSU, ND and soon to be Cinci staffs aren't moving 100% intact.

Coaches will see what's on the table before committing to a dicey situation in Lincoln. Louisiana is home for Joseph, so he might want to see if Kelly will retain him before taking a job at NU.

I believe that Frost and company thought they had a plan three weeks ago when they let the O staff go. And I think that they are finding out there aren't many takers for a one year gig at the level they were hoping to get. And the longer it takes the worse the early signing will go. Not to mention the trickle of younger players heading to the portal

In retrospect, letting Frost go after the loss to Minnesota, going into the bye week, would have been a great time to have gone after a new HC, long before anyone else.

Many say you could not have foreseen this degree of coaching change, but the number of losing records was beginning to be obvious for many of these schools, so it was not that big a jump to say that HC changes were going to occur, they always do.

Here is my list of HC candidates:

1.LANCE LEIPOLD (Kansas)
2. Billy Napier, Louisiana
3. Matt Entz, North Dakota State

4. Joe Brady
5. Matt Ruhle HC Carolina Panthers
6. Luke Fickell
7. Jeff Traylor HC UTSA
8. Dave Doeren HC NC State
9. Kalen Deboer HC Fresno State
10. Jamey Chadwell HC Coastal Carolina

Only Fickell and Ruhle are unlikely to consider DONU in October, coming later in the year. Napier, DeBoer have taken jobs, Traylor has been extended.

Now, we have to wait until everyone else has picked over the assistants with the multiple staffs being assembled (and more HC jobs will come open), then and only then will assistants of value consider DONU's offers :(.

Last edited:
In retrospect, letting Frost go after the loss to Minnesota, going into the bye week, would have been a great time to have gone after a new HC, long before anyone else.

Many say you could not have foreseen this degree of coaching change, but the number of losing records was beginning to be obvious for many of these schools, so it was not that big a jump to say that HC changes were going to occur, they always do.

Here is my list of HC candidates:

1.LANCE LEIPOLD (Kansas)
2. Billy Napier, Louisiana
3. Matt Entz, North Dakota State

4. Joe Brady
5. Matt Ruhle HC Carolina Panthers
6. Luke Fickell
7. Jeff Traylor HC UTSA
8. Dave Doeren HC NC State
9. Kalen Deboer HC Fresno State
10. Jamey Chadwell HC Coastal Carolina

Only Fickell and Ruhle are unlikely to consider DONU in October, coming later in the year. Napier, DeBoer have taken jobs, Traylor has been extended.

Now, we have to wait until everyone else has picked over the assistants with the multiple staffs being assembled (and more HC jobs will come open), then and only then will assistants of value consider DONU's offers :(.

Matt Ruhel is an outstanding coach. He’s missing a QB at Carolina but his teams are always well prepared.

I am agreeing with the crowd that thinks Frost is being turned down by coaches he has contacted. If the plan was to fire his staff for the purpose of getting out ahead with the new coaches for both recruiting and stability, then it has failed miserably. If he just fired them to save his own ass, well then, we have ourselves a real piece of work. I would not think Trev would have endorsed this tactic.

This reeks of Pederson's search for a head coach, wondering aimlessly in the desert for 40 days and nights The only reason to wait this long is if your OC candidate is coaching in a championship game and requested to not let his name out. What kind of OC would do that knowing that tactic could lose prospective players based on early signing. This all should have been done three weeks ago. Signing day is coming up fast, really fast. Trev's move of Keeping Frost for another year is not aging well.

You can't make a decision whether or not to fire a coach based upon other teams firing their coaches. Because you never know. No one had clue at the start of this season all of those teams would be looking for coaches. And no one has a clue which teams will be looking at this time next year. Could be more competition for coaches next year -- or not.

You just gotta do what's best for your team and not be influenced by other teams. I doubt Trev had this weigh into his decision.
I agree to a certain extent. I think you are right in stating our primary focus shouldn't be who is available, but on whether who we have in place is competent for the job.

That being said, I do agree with the original post that states if we were on the market right now, we would be in a rough spot. How many guys are out there that can turn Nebraska around? How many guys get recruits excited to come to Lincoln? The list probably isn't long. And when we have to compete with other Blue Bloods for a coach, we are more often than not going to end up not getting picked. [Frost was the exception because he was one of us.]

You bring in someone else that is the wrong guy and you sign on for another 3-4 years of futility and move us further and further from relevancy. Searching for a new coach is always a big gamble, but often times it is a necessary one.

Every day that goes by is another day someone has turned down Frost. No one of any stature will be taking the OC job. Joseph only comes if he’s associate head coach. There is a good chance that someone who takes that position will be interim coach after game 8 during the bye week.
We don't need stature---just someone better than SF as OC. That shouldn't be hard.

I am agreeing with the crowd that thinks Frost is being turned down by coaches he has contacted. If the plan was to fire his staff for the purpose of getting out ahead with the new coaches for both recruiting and stability, then it has failed miserably. If he just fired them to save his own ass, well then, we have ourselves a real piece of work. I would not think Trev would have endorsed this tactic.

This reeks of Pederson's search for a head coach, wondering aimlessly in the desert for 40 days and nights The only reason to wait this long is if your OC candidate is coaching in a championship game and requested to not let his name out. What kind of OC would do that knowing that tactic could lose prospective players based on early signing. This all should have been done three weeks ago. Signing day is coming up fast, really fast. Trev's move of Keeping Frost for another year is not aging well.
We are literally only a few weeks removed of him firing them, and less than a week removed from the end of the regular season. This week is when a lot of the coaching stuff goes down. Given the big name coaches that moved this week [OU and ND] I think it is worth taking some extra time to see who might come available or suddenly have interest now that coaches are moving or being let go.

If we are still looking to fill those roles in two weeks, I'll agree that it is taking too long. Frost admitted a few weeks ago that nothing would probably be filled until after the regular season. I think the first domino will fall this week and the rest will be closely behind.

I don't pretend to know what is going on with the hires, but so far it isn't a good look. The stated reason to fire 4 assistants in-season was to get replacements in place to go out recruiting for the early signing deadline. Here we are 2 weeks from signing day and the temp coaches are the ones out recruiting. Unless the new hires are wrapped up in the next day or two, they won't have much time to go out recruiting.
With this time table, keeping the assistants for the rest of the season would have made good sense. Why fire the assistants when he did if the plan was to wait until after the season to make replacement hires? Unless it was meant to send a signal right after the Frost contract renegotiation that Frost coming back was not a stamp of approval of current results, and would not be under the failure ridden "same old" circumstances......?

Last edited:
We are literally only a few weeks removed of him firing them, and less than a week removed from the end of the regular season. This week is when a lot of the coaching stuff goes down. Given the big name coaches that moved this week [OU and ND] I think it is worth taking some extra time to see who might come available or suddenly have interest now that coaches are moving or being let go.

If we are still looking to fill those roles in two weeks, I'll agree that it is taking too long. Frost admitted a few weeks ago that nothing would probably be filled until after the regular season. I think the first domino will fall this week and the rest will be closely behind.
I don't disagree with anything you wrote. I hope there is actually more going on than appears. Frost has lost any real advantage in recruiting during this time of change by not having a staff in place. LSU, USC, etc can hire a head coach in two days after the season ends and we are on 4 weeks looking for an OC and others. I feel losing this weekend and next week limits the ability to grab any talented recruits who have been disenfranchised with change elsewhere.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. I hope there is actually more going on than appears. Frost has lost any real advantage in recruiting during this time of change by not having a staff in place. LSU, USC, etc can hire a head coach in two days after the season ends and we are on 4 weeks looking for an OC and others. I feel losing this weekend and next week limits the ability to grab any talented recruits who have been disenfranchised with change elsewhere.
I'm not expecting we are going to grab someone who is going to give us a major recruiting edge, anyway. Couple that with this supposedly being a smaller signing class for us, I don't think they are as worried about the recruiting ramifications as they are getting the right guy in the door.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back