• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Time to take a stand?

In regards to the portion that I bolded- I agree that they haven't had time to recruit the players yet. That's obvious. But, at the same time, this is a major university and I absolutely refuse to believe that among the 24,000+ students at school there that we can't find 3 people to pitch a baseball Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

It's a lot like Michigan's kicking problems in Football in 2010. I refuse to believe that Michigan couldn't have gone out and rounded up a former high school soccer player out of their 50,000+ student body to be their walk-on kicker.

I believe strongly that you underestimate how difficult it is to kick a football, well and consistently. I can't comment on pitching having never done that, but I ask you to take a football by yourself and try and kick 10 extra points with no one around and see how that goes. Then imagine your self in front of 90,000 people with a snapper and holder and 57 yards between you and the goal posts which are 18'6" apart and 10 other guys running at you trying to block the kick not to mention the wind. Also the fact that kicking a soccer ball and football are completely 2 different techniques. I believe I would rather try and pitch a baseball. Stop picking on kickers we are a fragile bunch.:Biggrin:

I'm totally disappointed, too. But, let's be honest here. This literally ALL falls on Mike Anderson and T.O. for keeping him around so long. If we "had the horses" then we wouldn't be in this mess.

But, again, I completely agree. The Friday Night losses in Big 10 play are just unbelievable. Our pitching is awful. The hitting is solid and the fielding seems better than last year. But the pitching is awful. Therein lies the problem.

Exactly, lets not give up on Erstad yet.. he is good for this team he will IMO turn this around but if anyone thinks he should have won the B1G the first year with the mess Anderson left is quite delusional. Go Erstad GBR

I just went through this thread and I'm wondering now if Erstad made a kind of backhanded reference to it today. Listening to the radio they had a sound bite on where DE is talking about our need for pitchers and he said something to this effect, "If a kid has a glove and can throw the ball we'll certainly take a look at them". I didn't get to hear what they were discussing before I heard his comment, but he sounded rather frustrated.... and then tonight we won a Fri. conference game,... go figure. :)

How encouraging have the last three games been?

I share your spirit, motivation and encouragement in all that is husker baseball.

It really is simple this time around whereas under MA, it was a myriad of issues. Get some ARMS and a FRIDAY NIGHT ACE, 95% of our issues will go away and the 5% is mental and DE will be able to close it out.

It will take time, yes I know...but I'm confident that the arm issue will be remedied within 1-2 seasons if not next.

Last edited:
I'm "N"couraged by the turnaround in Hitting and attitude of the coaches! That has been Huge for this team IMO. I am DIScouraged in the pitching and rollercoaster attitude shown by this team, but I think the coaches will address that.

I too was caught up in the notion that NU would roll through this conference like they owned it, I just need to get used to the idea that there is a bigger adjustment to a new conference that what must show up on paper and the fact that the players we have are either mentally or physically unprepared from past years coaches to play quality baseball.

I LOVE what Erstad is doing with this team and like his choices of assistant coaches. If we can just get into the BIG tourney, I could see this team getting on a hot streak (pitching too :wow:)

OK, I started this, it looks like we are ready to take a stand. Almost pitched it away again today, but managed to hang in there. Need to waste the Gophers tomorrow, then shock the Shockers, and move into Ann Arbor like Sherman in the SE. If we can do that, we will be well situated for the Big Ten Tourny, win that and it will be fun in the first round of 64! I am ecnouraged. Erstad, do your thing, lead us on!

OK, I started this, it looks like we are ready to take a stand. Almost pitched it away again today, but managed to hang in there. Need to waste the Gophers tomorrow, then shock the Shockers, and move into Ann Arbor like Sherman in the SE. If we can do that, we will be well situated for the Big Ten Tourny, win that and it will be fun in the first round of 64! I am ecnouraged. Erstad, do your thing, lead us on!

That's the spirit, Merle! :) Hope momma's doing ok. Tell her, from all of us, Happy Mother's Day! :banana:

I have my fingers crossed for this! :)

Need to waste the Gophers tomorrow, then shock the Shockers, and move into Ann Arbor like Sherman in the SE. If we can do that, we will be well situated for the Big Ten Tourny, win that and it will be fun in the first round of 64! I am ecnouraged. Erstad, do your thing, lead us on!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back