• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Time to take a stand?

Merle

All Legend
15 Year Member
No one has more enthusiasm for D Erstad than I. I have long named him as my favorite Husker. I was thrilled to see him named as our head baseball coach.

Now then, let's take a look. Certainly,I can't be the only one who is disappointed with the season so far. The Friday night losses in the Big Ten Series are almost unbelievable! When one takes a careful look at our players and those of the supposed weak Big Ten teams, it becomes obvious why we are lagging! The excuses and explanations of the coaches, AD, etc. are suggestive of a program that has little apsiration to improve, other than to make the exisiting players better. It is so obvious to this old observor, that we need to upgrade our pitching recruiting. Needed badly.

I am disappointed that D Erstad hasn't made more statements as to future goals and intentions. It appears to me that the admiinistration is ready to allow the baseball program to settle in with the mediocrity that surrounds the men's basketball program. I find that unacceptable. Where is the commitment to develop a program that challenges the College World Series final eight year after year? We are located in the middle of the College World Series venue. We need to compete for that! But I do not see the dedication for that with the current administration, and that includes the coaching staff and the AD's office. I'm not sure what it takes to instill improvement, but it appears we aren't doing that.

Last edited:

He needs to build that team for this year. If he starts to say we only have crap and we have to throw te current guys under te bus you rally think that will help. Let his actions after the season show the direction. We were a bad team the last few years. Goe this staff a chance.

Dispointing season. Sure in some was but I believe we are much better off than if we still have last years staff and I See improvement. It boils down to admitting how far we had fallen.

No one has more enthusiasm for D Erstad than I. I have long named him as my favorite Husker. I was thrilled to see him named as our head baseball coach.

Now then, let's take a look. Certainly,I can't be the only one who is disappointed with the season so far. The Friday night losses in the Big Ten Series are almost unbelievable! When one takes a careful look at our players and those of the supposed weak Big Ten teams, it becomes obvious why we are lagging! The excuses and explanations of the coaches, AD, etc. are suggestive of a program that has little apsiration to improve, other than to make the exisiting players better. It is so obvious to this old observor, that we need to upgrade our pitching recruiting. Needed badly.

I am disappointed that D Erstad hasn't made more statements as to future goals and intentions. It appears to me that the admiinistration is ready to allow the baseball program to settle in with the mediocrity that surrounds the men's basketball program. I find that unacceptable. Where is the commitment to develop a program that challenges the College World Series final eight year after year? We are located in the middle of the College World Series venue. We need to compete for that! But I do not see the dedication for that with the current administration, and that includes the coaching staff and the AD's office. I'm not sure what it takes to instill improvement, but it appears we aren't doing that.

I don't think you have been paying very close attention based on those comments. Erstad has said on many occasions that he expects no less than to be playing in the college world series. Erstad has talked about upgrading the OC schedule and playing the best. And to state that Erstad has no aspiration to improve is one of the most completely clueless statements I've read in awhile. I don't know if Erstad will ever get this program back to the CWS, but to say he is lacks the dedication and commitment is ridiculous.

Finally, no doubt that there needs to be improvement in the pitching staff, but these coaches have not even had the chance to complete one full recruiting cycle. How are they supposed to have upgraded it already???

I don't know if Erstad will be successful, but I know that nobody wants to see Nebraska baseball be successful and back in the CWS more than him. Lets give the coaches a chance to show improvement before we label them as failures.

I'm totally disappointed, too. But, let's be honest here. This literally ALL falls on Mike Anderson and T.O. for keeping him around so long. If we "had the horses" then we wouldn't be in this mess.

But, again, I completely agree. The Friday Night losses in Big 10 play are just unbelievable. Our pitching is awful. The hitting is solid and the fielding seems better than last year. But the pitching is awful. Therein lies the problem.

I don't think you have been paying very close attention based on those comments. Erstad has said on many occasions that he expects no less than to be playing in the college world series. Erstad has talked about upgrading the OC schedule and playing the best. And to state that Erstad has no aspiration to improve is one of the most completely clueless statements I've read in awhile. I don't know if Erstad will ever get this program back to the CWS, but to say he is lacks the dedication and commitment is ridiculous.

Finally, no doubt that there needs to be improvement in the pitching staff, but these coaches have not even had the chance to complete one full recruiting cycle. How are they supposed to have upgraded it already???

I don't know if Erstad will be successful, but I know that nobody wants to see Nebraska baseball be successful and back in the CWS more than him. Lets give the coaches a chance to show improvement before we label them as failures.

In regards to the portion that I bolded- I agree that they haven't had time to recruit the players yet. That's obvious. But, at the same time, this is a major university and I absolutely refuse to believe that among the 24,000+ students at school there that we can't find 3 people to pitch a baseball Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

It's a lot like Michigan's kicking problems in Football in 2010. I refuse to believe that Michigan couldn't have gone out and rounded up a former high school soccer player out of their 50,000+ student body to be their walk-on kicker.

Last edited:
In regards to the portion that I bolded- I agree that they haven't had time to recruit the players yet. That's obvious. But, at the same time, this is a major university and I absolutely refuse to believe that among the 24,000+ students at school there that we can't find 3 people to pitch a baseball Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

It's a lot like Michigan's kicking problems in Football in 2010. I refuse to believe that Michigan couldn't have gone out and rounded up a former high school soccer player out of their 50,000+ student body to be their walk-on kicker.

I think you are greatly underestimating what it takes to be a quality pitcher at this level. Now, I agree that we need to get/develop better pitching......but they don't just grow on trees. Really quality pitchers are hard to come by, and when they do, there is a reason they are drafted rather high. In fact, Lemke is a great example of a guy that was drafted fairly high (8th round IIRC) out of HS, yet hasn't been able to put it all together at this level.

I believe there are some quality arms on this staff, its just a matter of putting it all together. Also, its difficult to get much information on baseball recruiting, but its my understanding that Nebraska does have a few pretty good pitchers committed......but again, I'm not sure how reliable that is.

I should also add that I think this would be a very different team this year if Ehlers was still with the team. He has been absolutely dominant at the JUCO level (I'm not sure how good his league is, but there is some pretty good juco teams/players). It's too bad he didn't stick around! I think he would have solidified that Friday night role, which would have set up the staff much better for Sat./Sun.

Haha...seriously? I'll pitch.....we could find and HAVE pitchers, but we're gonna have to look a bit harder for good ones.

I do believe Erstad has done some good things. The offense (which is Darrin's expertise) has improved significantly from recent prior seasons. And they do have a "never say die" attitude, which I appreciate. But yes, ultimately a team cannot be strongly competitive on a national scale without pitching. I do feel it's easier to develop an offense than it is a pitching staff.... next season, however, should be telling in showing if we are moving in the right direction. Nothing was going to be instantaneous... but I did feel the Big Ten was a league NU should do quite well in regardless. I am curious about Purdue and if they are for real. They do win games. Doesn't appear they've beaten any Super Regional types of teams... but they do win.

I do believe Erstad has done some good things. The offense (which is Darrin's expertise) has improved significantly from recent prior seasons. And they do have a "never say die" attitude, which I appreciate. But yes, ultimately a team cannot be strongly competitive on a national scale without pitching. I do feel it's easier to develop an offense than it is a pitching staff.... next season, however, should be telling in showing if we are moving in the right direction. Nothing was going to be instantaneous... but I did feel the Big Ten was a league NU should do quite well in regardless. I am curious about Purdue and if they are for real. They do win games. Doesn't appear they've beaten any Super Regional types of teams... but they do win.

I agree on all accounts, but I do believe Purdue is a legit top 15 team. I think the one thing which could hurt them in the post season is a shallow bullpen however. But otherwise I think they are for real. Either way, we will find out more in a few weeks when they play UCLA.

Merle, don't over react. But down the beer, and step back from the bar.

Of course NU is commited to winning at baseball. As Mort said in an earlier thread, you don't bring in Bolt and Silva to be a middling regional team.

And yes, it is completely obvious starting pitching is lacking, especially on Friday nights. Regardless of Hirsh latest outing, I've always liked a crafty lefty on Sunday. Pierce seems to have a role on Saturday, and if NU had Ehlers on Friday they'd be dangerous.

But, with that said, Ehlers isn't here. We'll see if Erstad & Co can bring in and develop dominant type starting pitching.

Recruiting to the B1G will be tough. What was once one of Nebraska's biggest strengths in recruiting (Big 12 conference), is now easily its biggest liability.

Merle, I don't have time to read all the responses, so I'll just give my thoughts, ok?

You have to be patient. Darin is dealing as a rookie coach, and he is working, for the first
time, with these kids. There are a lot of kids on this team who need time to mature.

As far as the offense, it is a good one, period. The pitching will take time to mature.

The fielding is not the best, at times, but it will get better as time goes on. Also,
we are dealing with a "new" conference.

No miracles, this season, Merle. Hang in there, like the rest of us, ok?

Well, I have to run. Taking my mom to the doctors. I hope things are going better
for you at home, Merle. You have my kindest thoughts.

Take care, and........

GO BIG RED!!! :thumbsup: :)

I agree on all accounts, but I do believe Purdue is a legit top 15 team. I think the one thing which could hurt them in the post season is a shallow bullpen however. But otherwise I think they are for real. Either way, we will find out more in a few weeks when they play UCLA.

I'm sure we'll see. :) Purdue's strength of schedule is 90th. UCLA's is 1.

Merle, Whatever ends up being the case when we look back a few years down the road, I simply don't understand how you can say there is no commitment/aspiration to improve with the coaching staff. I like DE and was surprised he was hired w/very little coaching experience on his resume. I was also hoping we would have a bit better results from a W/L perspective this year and I am concerned about the B1G, baseball and how that will impact us going forward.
The bottom line is this staff has not been there nearly long enough to judge them fairly and the players on this team are the ones from 3(?) straight years of not qualifying for the conference tournament when teams like K-State were going (I think). I just think you have to give a new staff taking over something that wasn't working well a few seasons (regardless of whether you think the hire was good or bad) and then judge it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back