• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tim Miles to Minnesota ??

mjw11

Varsity
10 Year Member
This doesnt seem likely

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/200930381.html

Tim Miles, Nebraska: Why he could make sense as the next Gophers coach:

• Miles has been interested in the Minnesota job for some time. Before the current Nebraska coach was at Colorado State – his last stop – he had stops at Southwest Minnesota State and North Dakota State, and therefore is very familiar with recruiting in Gopher land.

• Nebraska and the rest of the Big Ten found this out quickly with Miles: he has the kind of personality that can quickly win over a fan base, media members, players and donors. He infused life into the Huskers program last season and had a team with limited talent greatly improved by the end of the year.
Why he might not be:

• If this coaching vacancy had come a year ago, it would be a different story. But Miles is in the Big Ten now, and has spent just one season with the Huskers. Moving to a new job -- within the league, where he would have to coach his new team against his former players -- after just one season would likely leave Miles vilified in the media and in Nebraska. What’s more, he’s put a lot of time and energy into that program this year. Would he be so willing to turn his back on all of that?

• One more thing: facilities. I have toured Nebraska’s lush hoops practice facility and seen just how much of a difference it means in recruiting. When it comes down to it, the on-court talent and results between Nebraska and Minnesota might not be all that different next season, either. In that case don’t you stay with the project you’ve already begun?
Prognosis: It’s a year too late for Miles. Too bad, because he’d be fantastic for the program.

I don't know the terms of Miles contract off hand. But he's only one year into a 7 year deal. I would imagine Minnesota would have to pay through their frozen noses to buy him out. (Now I'm going to have to go look up his contract! damn it!)

It would be real disappointing, that's for sure.

(It is still April 1st. hmmmmmm?)

Last edited:

Obviously zero substance to this ... other than some Minnesota fantasy.

Anyhow, it goes right along with a point I made a couple days ago in another thread .... Nebraska has possibly become a more appealing job for a basketball coach than Minnesota. The idea of Gophers being jealous of Husker hoops can't help but make me grin.

As a Husker hoops fan, it is strange to hear talk of another team coveting our coach! What could Minny offer that Nebraska can't? Facilities aren't even close at this point. If you want to talk history, when was the last time the Gophers were a power without sanctions coming on the heels of it? Not a consistent power by any means. Miles has started the ball rolling in Lincoln, no need to start over.

Is this just a columnist for a Twin Cities paper making randon guesses? That's how I read it. He's right, though, if Minny would have had this opening last year they would have stood a good chance to land Miles. I sort of kind of get why Minny fired Tubby, but they probably fired him at the wrong time. Should have given the ax last year, or waited until next year to do it, because the potential coaching candidates just aren't there right now.

As a Husker hoops fan, it is strange to hear talk of another team coveting our coach! What could Minny offer that Nebraska can't? Facilities aren't even close at this point. If you want to talk history, when was the last time the Gophers were a power without sanctions coming on the heels of it? Not a consistent power by any means. Miles has started the ball rolling in Lincoln, no need to start over.

Yep, the Barn used to hold some attraction as an old arena with a winning tradition. Now, it's just old. And there is much more scandal tied to it than winning.

I doubt there is a basketball team in America with more of history in scandal than the Minnesota Gophers. It is a huge list over multiple coaching tenures and multiple decades. Minnesota's winning always seemed to come with cheating.

I lived in the Twin Cities for several years. We used to chat about the scandals. My "favorite" was "The Brawl." Probably the single biggest, ugliest brawl in the history of college athletics. Early-70s. Heck, even Dave Winfield was involved. The Gophers had to forfeit the game before it was even finished. S.I. did a big piece on it.

I pretty much associate Minnesota Gophers hoops with all that is wrong with college sports. When they were good, there was scandal involved. When they sucked, they just plain sucked. It's a disaster. And for some reason, I wouldn't be shocked if something comes along a year or so from now associating Tubby with some sort of wrongdoing in Minnesota before he was canned.

Wow, thanks for sharing! I wasn't even aware that had happened.

Crazy, isn't it?! The most thuggery I've ever seen in a game! Notice one Gopher performed the flagrant foul ... another gave the OSU player the fake help up then knee to the mid-section ... then a third came over to stomp on his head! Insanity! (And that's not to mention all of the other cheap shots taking place when the brawl got going.) If something like this happened today, I think Minnesota would be facing much more than just a one-game forfeit.

Is this just a columnist for a Twin Cities paper making randon guesses? That's how I read it. He's right, though, if Minny would have had this opening last year they would have stood a good chance to land Miles. I sort of kind of get why Minny fired Tubby, but they probably fired him at the wrong time. Should have given the ax last year, or waited until next year to do it, because the potential coaching candidates just aren't there right now.

Yes. The media coverage has be PURELY speculation. There hasn't been much the U has given anyone in regards to the BBall coaching search, so the media has been just slingin' mud on the wall.

Yep, the Barn used to hold some attraction as an old arena with a winning tradition. Now, it's just old. And there is much more scandal tied to it than winning.

I doubt there is a basketball team in America with more of history in scandal than the Minnesota Gophers. It is a huge list over multiple coaching tenures and multiple decades. Minnesota's winning always seemed to come with cheating.

I lived in the Twin Cities for several years. We used to chat about the scandals. My "favorite" was "The Brawl." Probably the single biggest, ugliest brawl in the history of college athletics. Early-70s. Heck, even Dave Winfield was involved. The Gophers had to forfeit the game before it was even finished. S.I. did a big piece on it.

I pretty much associate Minnesota Gophers hoops with all that is wrong with college sports. When they were good, there was scandal involved. When they sucked, they just plain sucked. It's a disaster. And for some reason, I wouldn't be shocked if something comes along a year or so from now associating Tubby with some sort of wrongdoing in Minnesota before he was canned.

So that's why such a nasty tone with me in this forum. Oh well, OSU has gotten it's payback throughout the years since then.

So that's why such a nasty tone with me in this forum. Oh well, OSU has gotten it's payback throughout the years since then.

No nasty tone toward you -- unless you played hoops for the Gophers and were involved in a scandal. I am the same with everyone -- far from mr. sunshine. I'm also highly critical of my Huskers (football for quite awhile, basketball prior to this season, baseball for quite awhile). And actually, I have no hatred toward Minnesota ... learned to hate Bucky when I lived there.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back