• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Throwing Martinez under the Bus

His trajectory last year was through the roof. The kid looked poised and polished like no Nebraska freshman quarterback I can remember.
You know he was 4-8 last year? If not for a fortunate rainstorm we probably would have been 3-9. That statistical jigsaw puzzle of a season left a lot of room for improvement. Martinez is the Damon Benning of the 1990's, only at the QB position. Can easily rally against nobodies, but get rolled by the big boys. The coaches like him so he plays a lot. Martinez failed quite often largely due to the same problems when under pressure this year, he just cannot take the pressure. It's not going to change. The trend has a lot of data supporting the theory. People are sentimental to him, but the truth is he is not going to get us to the promised land. The ineptitude of the OL in long passing downs is largely based on his scrambling errors, too. He's not changing for the better against the better competition. The sooner we explore other options the sooner we fix the actual problems on the team.

Last edited:
You know he was 4-8 last year? If not for a fortunate rainstorm we probably would have been 3-9. That statistical jigsaw puzzle of a season left a lot of room for improvement. Martinez is the Damon Benning of the 1990's, only at the QB position. Can easily rally against nobodies, but get rolled by the big boys. The coaches like him so he plays a lot. Martinez failed quite often largely due to the same problems when under pressure this year, he just cannot take the pressure. It's not going to change. The trend has a lot of data supporting the theory. People are sentimental to him, but the truth is he is not going to get us to the promised land. The ineptitude of the OL in long passing downs is largely based on his scrambling errors, too. He's not changing for the better against the better competition. The sooner we explore other options the sooner we fix the actual problems on the team.

He wasn't 4-8, the team was and it certainly wasn't all his fault.

I'm not sure why we have to go back in time to a freshman year where more than just Frost or myself though the kid looked amazing. Respected football minds that have nothing to do with Nebraska or this board think he's going to be a great player. I'll admit I wasn't bought in early, but by seasons end, it was impossible to argue with. The kid played damned good football last year...as a true freshman...for a new staff, new line, new offense. No, it wasn't error free, but how many seasons have you seen error free football from anyone? His failures this year were often successes last year and I do think the loss of Stanley Morgan and Ziggy plays a role in that, not to mention the fresh faced O line. The failures you lay entirely at his feet are largely team failures. Block better, run better routes, fight for the ball, adjust to the ball, pick up that blitzing LB or DB and see what happens to the trend. I do think the line will continue to improve as the year progresses, not sure what to think about the receiver room's improvement but it's not going to be soon enough to win out, IMO. Like I said, I'd have wished the Non Con schedule would have afforded more opportunity to get reps for the #2 and #3 kids, but it didn't happen.

If Frost thought Vedral or McCaffrey afforded this team a better chance to win, they'd be playing. I have no doubt about that. Bottom line is Martinez is not playing as well as he did in 2018. No doubt. How much of that is him versus external issues on the team? I'd say it's a blend, but it's impossible to prove. He has to play better football. He has to limit turnovers. He has to take the opportunities given to him be it a 5 yard out or a scramble when the big play you wanted isn't there. He's one of many, many kids on this roster who have to play better football to see the kind of results we all want. I'll throw the coaches in there as well. They've got to do a better job of understanding where this team is at and helping them use the strengths they have. I think the I formation Saturday was a great wrinkle and something this group can do well. Help these kids win and get over the hump.

Last edited:
And Martinez evidently needs to become transparent so when Wilson fails his assignment, he doesn't get sacked and can make decent throws.

I think you mean he needs to be able to levitate.

That would be cool.

Can Verduzco teach that?

I think you mean he needs to be able to levitate.

That would be cool.

Can Verduzco teach that?
He seems to be a QB scientist, so hopefully he can. Just think, SET GO and then AM starts floating and then moves laterally until he inevitably scores every time he drops back :Rockon:

This is not a pro or anti Martinez post...just an observation.

In the two most recent home games, durning pre-game warmups, Martinez has struggled with his accuracy. Especially on post routes. Watch him warm up next time you go to a game. Maybe a new mechanics issue? I dont know.

When the Head Coach comes out at a presser and lists a bunch of excuses for the QB play you know it’s become a confidence thing w the player. The other NU isn’t very good this year so expect a bounce back.

I'm not sure why we have to go back in time to a freshman year where more than just Frost or myself though the kid looked amazing. Respected football minds that have nothing to do with Nebraska or this board think he's going to be a great player. I'll admit I wasn't bought in early, but by seasons end, it was impossible to argue with. The kid played damned good football last year...as a true freshman...for a new staff, new line, new offense. No, it wasn't error free, but how many seasons have you seen error free football from anyone? His failures this year were often successes last year and I do think the loss of Stanley Morgan and Ziggy plays a role in that, not to mention the fresh faced O line. The failures you lay entirely at his feet are largely team failures. Block better, run better routes, fight for the ball, adjust to the ball, pick up that blitzing LB or DB and see what happens to the trend. I do think the line will continue to improve as the year progresses, not sure what to think about the receiver room's improvement but it's not going to be soon enough to win out, IMO. Like I said, I'd have wished the Non Con schedule would have afforded more opportunity to get reps for the #2 and #3 kids, but it didn't happen.

If Frost thought Vedral or McCaffrey afforded this team a better chance to win, they'd be playing. I have no doubt about that. Bottom line is Martinez is not playing as well as he did in 2018. No doubt. How much of that is him versus external issues on the team? I'd say it's a blend, but it's impossible to prove. He has to play better football. He has to limit turnovers. He has to take the opportunities given to him be it a 5 yard out or a scramble when the big play you wanted isn't there. He's one of many, many kids on this roster who have to play better football to see the kind of results we all want. I'll throw the coaches in there as well. They've got to do a better job of understanding where this team is at and helping them use the strengths they have. I think the I formation Saturday was a great wrinkle and something this group can do well. Help these kids win and get over the hump.

^^^
All of this.

I don't see how someone can look at Martinez this year and not acknowledge that some elements of his game and confidence have regressed. He's had a lot of help with regard to reasons for that--like the line play. But he hasn't been the same player so far this year that he was last year.

By now, it should be apparent that sitting Martinez back in the pocket with an iffy line in combination with Martinez's struggles with reads/decisions and accuracy is not a great strategy as the primary attack. Maybe the I formation and some of the other wrinkles we've seen will set up some different RPO methods for Martinez to gat some pressure off and to give him some more space and less chance for timing to be thrown off with the shotgun? I hope so. Use that and some added misdirection to get Martinez some room to work and the option to run if the quick pass reads aren't there?

I pretty much agree with all of this. There is a lot of black and white thinking with some sure 100% of the issue is the OL and others equally certain it is 100% Martinez. It is almost certainly some combination of Martinez being in something of a funk, spotty (charitably speaking) line play and the inability of receivers not named Spielman or Robinson to get open. Martinez has the highest ceiling of our current QBs and I doubt McCaffrey is really ready for the full load with the other struggles the offense has had. For that reason, I suspect Frost is willing to try to let him play through his struggles in hopes he pulls it together and that he gets some help from his teammates. Frost is also likely concerned about the impact pulling Martinez would have on AM's' confidence. It will help to have someone other than Ohio State on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back