• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Three Things To Like About Rhule

Suhperman

Resident Genius
5 Year Member
Player Development: it’s obvious from the upward trend seen at Rhule’s previous college stops that he knows how to develop talent and he is very passionate about it. He ‘gets it’ that success starts on the offensive line. If you dominate there, you will win a high percentage of your games. You can have the best QB ever, but if he’s always running for his life it won’t matter.

Recruiting Philosophy: Rhule has coached in places where he’s not always going to get the high 4 and 5 stars, a category that NU falls in. He goes after long, tall, and fast guys who may not be highly recruited, but he sees they have a high ceiling and coaches them up once they’re on campus. Living here in Texas I can tell you a lot of these ‘sure bets’ are anything but because many of these kids peak in high school due to the coaching and facilities being so good at that level. Rhule knows how to separate the wheat from the chaff, which is especially important when recruiting in Texas.

Communication Skills: Rhule is a great communicator. He gives credit and takes blame. He’s a savvy New Yorker when it comes to dealing with the media. In a short amount of time he made a very good impression on a lot of high school coaches, both at Temple and Baylor. I think the fan base is really going to like him.

Bonus Points: Matt played at Penn St. during TO’s glory years and seems to have a genuine reverence for the program. Hopefully the Penn St. job doesn’t come open in the next few years; fortunately, it looks like Franklin will be there a long time.

Last edited:

How about his calm demeanor.

IMG_20221127_111708.jpg

Hmmm. Thinking about Rhule being from the East Coast and playing for Penn State. I was at the 1983 Kickoff Classic. A boy about 8 years old was sitting next to me. I liked him quite a bit. He and his family were Penn State fans and we chatted amiably before the game.

Then Nebraska began to dismantle PSU and by the 3rd quarter the boy was fighting off tears. There wasn't much I could say to him.

Matt Ruhle was 8 years old at that time. I wonder...

Kind of makes me question his loyalty to Nebraska now. ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm. Thinking about Rhule being from the East Coast and playing for Penn State. I was at the 1983 Kickoff Classic. A boy about 8 years old was sitting next to me. I liked him quite a bit. He and his family were Penn State fans and we chatted amiably before the game.

Then Nebraska began to dismantle PSU and by the 3rd quarter the boy was fighting off tears. There wasn't much I could say to him.

Matt Ruhle was 8 years old at that time. I wonder...

Kind of makes me question his loyalty to Nebraska now. ;)
I was in Spain for that game and my boss was a Nittany Lion. He was not happy with me!

Player Development: it’s obvious from the upward trend seen at Rhule’s previous college stops that he knows how to develop talent and he is very passionate about it. He ‘gets it’ that success starts on the offensive line. If you dominate there, you will win a high percentage of your games. You can have the best QB ever, but if he’s always running for his life it won’t matter.

Recruiting Philosophy: Rhule has coached in places where he’s not always going to get the high 4 and 5 stars, a category that NU falls in. He goes after long, tall, and fast guys who may not be highly recruited, but he sees they have a high ceiling and coaches them up once they’re on campus. Living here in Texas I can tell you a lot of these ‘sure bets’ are anything but because many of these kids peak in high school due to the coaching and facilities being so good at that level. Rhule knows how to separate the wheat from the chaff, which is especially important when recruiting in Texas.

Communication Skills: Rhule is a great communicator. He gives credit and takes blame. He’s a savvy New Yorker when it comes to dealing with the media. In a short amount of time he made a very good impression on a lot of high school coaches, both at Temple and Baylor. I think the fan base is really going to like him.

Bonus Points: Matt played at Penn St. during TO’s glory years and seems to have a genuine reverence for the program. Hopefully the Penn St. job doesn’t come open in the next few years; fortunately, it looks like Franklin will be there a long time.
Nailed it!!

I’m betting based on his history of bailing after 3-5 years that their is a heavy buyout clause if he try’s to leave for another job

Last edited:

Living in Pennsylvania and absolutely hating Penn State my biggest fear was him getting the Penn State job. He’s going to work his behind off recruiting and developing players. With the recruiting radius in Pennsylvania he’d build a real winner at Penn State ( he can NEVER go there) and he’s going to build a winner in Lincoln.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back