• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Three reasons why real parity is coming to college football

Those teams you mentioned are leaps and bounds from where they were 20 years ago. Success yes but money too. TCU and OSU are ranked Top 20 almost every year, sometimes top 10. They aren’t “little”. I dont think so anyway. And for big schools with lots of cash—like Texas—-haven’t really made that pay off in championships or even playoffs.

I could see big conferences including all teams but not with equal revenue sharing.

Yeah the problem is, if the Big 10 and SEC have their way, OSU and TCU are small fish and need to be cut out. That's a problem. The human ego can cause all sorts of unintended consequences.

I think the expanded 12-team playoff will actually be good for college football.

First, it might stave off the push to go to two superconferences for all the marbles. Media rights deals will probably still push the B1G and SEC to continue in their superconference quests, but the 12-team format leaves room for the other teams out there. Now, if the B1G and SEC decide to break away from the rest to have their own national championship, I think that will kill college football.

Second, and most important, the format will help to "spread the wealth." With the top six conference champions getting automatic qualification, along with the six highest ranked non-auto-qualifiers, the road to the playoffs, and national championship, expands greatly. It's not just limited to the top two or three conferences. Now, top athletes won't have to select from Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, or Ohio State if they want a chance. If the 12-team format were in place this year, the winner of the UCF-Tulane game would be in. Do they have a realistic chance of winning? No, but over time, with hopefully a little better balance in recruiting, they might.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back