• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thoughts on AAF and why will it work or not.

Box score? Hell, I spent 20 minutes just trying to find a live score the other day.

The league has little chance of success. It's just too hard for football. Nobody cares about minor leagues.

1. Rosters too big v. a baseball or basketball minor league.

2. Salaries will necessarily be too high. Guys in minor league baseball make peanuts.

3. They are never going to get a major tv deal...or...to do so would require competing like the usfl did...and that's not possible.

4. Too few games to recover large costs. Minot league Baseball gets 60 or 70 games. Even if they are drawing 1500 a night thats going to add up to a lot of hot dogs and soda. And it's still probably not a real money maker...with some exceptions.

Until a football league is treated as a developmental league and subsidized largely by the NFL there is no chance.

Box score? Hell, I spent 20 minutes just trying to find a live score the other day.

The league has little chance of success. It's just too hard for football. Nobody cares about minor leagues.

2. Salaries will necessarily be too high. Guys in minor league baseball make peanuts.

3. They are never going to get a major tv deal...or...to do so would require competing like the usfl did...and that's not possible.

4. Too few games to recover large costs. Minot league Baseball gets 60 or 70 games. Even if they are drawing 1500 a night thats going to add up to a lot of hot dogs and soda. And it's still probably not a real money maker...with some exceptions.

Until a football league is treated as a developmental league and subsidized largely by the NFL there is no chance.
YouTube steams some of the games live of you're interested.

But why would the NFL invest money in it when they gave the NCAA doing this for them already?
NFL teams aren't going to let a QB project take live snaps for a minor league team and risk injury if they have money invested in him. Better to let him stand on the sidelines with a clipboard and learn that way.

Attachments

• AA72E94F-8F2B-4518-A7A3-7F50F4ECBDF2.gif
    AA72E94F-8F2B-4518-A7A3-7F50F4ECBDF2.gif
    563.6 KB · Views: 28

Isn't this league an NFL minor league? Subsidized by the NFL??

I’ve kinda lost interest already. I’ll probably check in occasionally to see if Kenny Bell catches a TD pass...

Last edited:
I’ve kinda lost interest already. I’ll probably check in occasionally to see if Kenny Bell catches a TD pass...
I've watched most of one game and parts of two others, and as much as I love football, I've pretty much lost interest also. It's kinda like Canadian football, in that I find it pretty boring.

I still maintain that I have enjoyed what I have watched. With the games having been moved to channels I don't get, I have generally relied on YouTube, though I do think if it was on CBS again, I'd watch it live if available. I think they could improve on it with things I have heard other people mention such as maybe a proving ground for younger coaches as opposed to (semi)retire ones.

I know that when I watch it I feel like I am watching football -- doesn't have the NFL level of expertise or the intense/fun atmosphere of the college game. I can't say that Canadian Football or Arena League ball has ever made me feel like I was watching football as I understand it.

Unrelated to the above, but a commentary on the most recent San Antonio game (Riley's team). This isn't meant to bash Riley, but I think we would see this and not at all be surprised based on his three years in Lincoln:

The starting QB is hurt, but Riley feels his 2nd string QB earned reps too (ok, maybe this scenario doesn't match Riley in Lincoln, but I think it ties in with maybe some personnel peculiarities we saw). As a result, the 2nd string QB is actually more-or-less getting one series for every two that the starter gets.

San Antonio is trailing 11-31 when they get the ball with 7:20 remaining in the 4th quarter. San Antonio also has three timeouts remaining. They proceed to run 5:20 seconds off the clock in this drive to take it to the two minute warning (three timeouts still remaining). They then take another 53 seconds off and fail to convert on a 4th and 2 in the redzone (three timeouts still remaining).

So, with 7:20 second left; down by 20 points, San Antonio uses up 6:13 of clock, takes zero timeouts, and doesn't score.

It just felt like they gave up. They weren't preserving the # 2 QB, because he ran the ball several times on the drive including the failed attempt on 4th & 2.

I don't think I was ever a Riley hater, but it felt like a Riley coached game.

I don't know how much easier it can be to watch games across channels with the AAF. I simply set the dvr to record one game and selected to record the series. It grabs the new broadcasts regardless of the channel they are on. The faster pace of the game actually makes speed watching easier because there is less dead time between jumps forward. Sometimes I just want to see the plays and not hear the commentary.

It's nice to be able to pop on some new football when I get down time during the week. Orlando has been fun to watch. San Antonio has a monster defense. San Diego is a balanced team, one of the better in that way. Birmingham has a real power rushing-focused game. Atlanta and Salt Lake generally are bad teams.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back