• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This team plays with heart, scraps out wins and is fun to root for but...

I've been watching Nebraska football since before Bob Devaney and it never fails that when a new OC is hired that their perform is critically and often mercilessly "analyzed" and judged by many on this board. I just shake my head when I read comments like "I questioned Satterfield's hiring in the first place" to "our offense is terrible" and so on ad nauseatum.

I also coached HS football and I for one think Rhule, Satterfiled and the other offensive coaches have done an admirable job of striving to develop the offense in the face of attrition and injury they have had to endure. The offense can be maddeningly sloppy, mistake-prone and penalty ridden but somehow we have won 4 of our last 5 games. They scrap and claw and the coaches and players find a way to get it done. We should all take pride in that.
Careful. What are trends vs what are totals? Penalty-ridden certainly applies to some former games, however, I believe the O had but one this last game.

Stoops was great coach and proved it over his 17 years with a 191–48 record. However he was left a well stocked cupboard when he arrived in 1999 at OU. Always liked and respected him FWIW....
He really wasn’t. He had some pieces, and he went out and got everything he was missing, then, they had to put it all together. Stoops wasn’t handed a roster full of all Americans. Not even close. They had some talent, of course, and Stoops pulled other talent out of dudes who were beaten down by all the losing, like Nebraska is dealing with now. The coaching is what made that 2000 OU team. Everything came together for them, and they had great QB play on top of that. Still pissed NU lost in the snow in Manhattan, because that 2000 Nebraska team was no joke. I think that Nebraska team beats OU in Kansas City, had a rematch happened.

I'm worried that some fans may be stupidly enjoying this season. How can they do that when Nebraska isn't a championship caliber team, isn't recruiting the most 5 star recruits and has such lousy coaches that they can't figure out how to take this M.A.S.H. unit to the conference championship game (although technically that could still happen)? Its almost like these fans just enjoy Nebraska football and are on board the rebuild. Its like they've been starving for a team that shows up ready to compete every Saturday, and gives them something positive to cheer for. Its like they'll just settle for seeing the outgoing seniors getting to a bowl game. Its like they are excited for the young speedsters who are starting to show up and make plays in relief of injured veterans. How can they not see that this team has flaws?!
What flaws?

But they were still there. You said sniff. They sniffed, if nothing else. You gotta be in the dance to win. They’ve been in it. I’m not defending OU, it’s just the truth.
The luxury of not having a conference championship made them grease their way in—and then got embarrassed. I love watching them lose. So yes they sniffed by backing in. That included the playoffs too.

We backed into our last natty game too. Didn’t earn it and got punched in the mouth. Usually works out that way.

It’s jarring to watch a hard fought win, feel excited, then come to the forum and find multiple threads that are majority negative comments or minimizing the team’s accomplishments.

I can’t really fathom fanhood that doesn’t include joy in the successes, even the modest ones.

Rhule says to enjoy the ride, watching the team go from where they are now to being a quality contender. Well, I AM enjoying this ride. This season has been the most fun I’ve had as a fan in a long time.
We have to start somewhere, I guess some fans don't want, understand or are motivationally driven to be opposite of any form of better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back