• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This team has the ingredients

Nightman Cometh

Recruit
5 Year Member
For the first time since at Pelini I see a team with potentially all of the ingredients to win at a high level. The defense has NFL talent already, if they can find one or two more high level playmakers they’ll be our best since 2009. The offensive line took a big step last season. If they can take another big step they at least won’t lose us games. And of course the biggest difference is a quarterback who can keep us on schedule and make plays when we need them. Special teams is a question mark but if they can just be serviceable this team should win some games.

The question is, like a great chef can Rhule take
these ingredients and make a great dish out of them. I don’t know. I still have a hard time believing because it’s just been gut punch after gut punch for so many years. But I’m ready, I’m ready to believe.

Last edited:

For the first time since at Pelini I see a team with potentially all of the ingredients to win at a high level. The defense has NFL talent already, if they can find one or two more high level playmakers they’ll be our best since 2009. The offensive line took a big step last season. If they can take another big step they at least won’t lose us games. And of course the biggest difference is a quarterback who can keep us on schedule and make plays when we need them. Special teams is a question mark but if they can just be serviceable this team should win some games.

The question is like a great chef can Rhule take
these ingredients and make a great dish out of them. I don’t know. I still have a hard time believing because it’s just been gut punch after gut punch for so many years. But I’m ready, I’m ready to believe.
Well, that is MR's rep. He's gut punched a lot of opposition on his way to improving teams.

A positive turnover ratio virtually guarantees a winning season.
The only team to turn it over as much as us, Georgia So also had 7 more takeaways than us.
We were class book bad. Real wr and qb play,imo we do well.
The unknowns are the Young qbs and how much improvement in our wr room. They'll both be better, but this is where we get into turnover territory.

10 passing TD’s versus 16 INTS is so bad it’s hard to comprehend. Improve that ratio to AT LEAST 2 TD’s to 1 INT and we’ll having a winning season imo.

pass ratio.jpg

The question is, like a great chef can Rhule take
I'd feel better if we had at least one offensive lineman who could realistically be considered an all-big ten-caliber player. We don't have that right now. It would also be nice to have a true difference-maker at the running back position. We have some nice RBs, but none of them are going to make any all-conference or all-American lists anytime soon, IMO. If we had those two things, then we could have a truly dangerous offense. If Raiola stays healthy and sticks around for a couple years we might get there.

I’ve been very positive generally about HCMR, his staff, the roster, recruiting, etc. And I’m very positive about the direct of the program and — I’ll call it — the feel or vibe of the program now. And I want nothing more than 8…10…12 wins and a lot of kids getting drafted. All that.

But… I want to tap the breaks on expectations a little. All this doesn’t happen in a lab or environment where the other variables can be controlled. A lot of very talented, well-coached teams play in the Big10+ (and the conference is getting more talented and better coached over time). Other teams are recruiting and coaching their kids up, including about how to beat NU.

The faithful should be prepared for a possible backslide with the success of the defense, not because the talent and coaching and scheming aren’t improving and working hard. But because teams adjust and will be better prepared to play against Coach White’s defense. The same is true on the other side of the ball. Last year, teams dared NU to throw it. NU may have better luck in the air this year (amen), but teams will scheme better against the running game.

I guess what I’m trying to say is this: NU will be better. A lot better. But so will the conference. And they will be better and smarter AGAINST NU. So of course the Huskers get better and, more importantly, play better. But it’s a heavyweight matchup every week. So although I’m very excited about how HCMR’s team plays, I’m keeping my powder dry about wins/losses until next October or so.

I’ve been very positive generally about HCMR, his staff, the roster, recruiting, etc. And I’m very positive about the direct of the program and — I’ll call it — the feel or vibe of the program now. And I want nothing more than 8…10…12 wins and a lot of kids getting drafted. All that.

But… I want to tap the breaks on expectations a little. All this doesn’t happen in a lab or environment where the other variables can be controlled. A lot of very talented, well-coached teams play in the Big10+ (and the conference is getting more talented and better coached over time). Other teams are recruiting and coaching their kids up, including about how to beat NU.

The faithful should be prepared for a possible backslide with the success of the defense, not because the talent and coaching and scheming aren’t improving and working hard. But because teams adjust and will be better prepared to play against Coach White’s defense. The same is true on the other side of the ball. Last year, teams dared NU to throw it. NU may have better luck in the air this year (amen), but teams will scheme better against the running game.

I guess what I’m trying to say is this: NU will be better. A lot better. But so will the conference. And they will be better and smarter AGAINST NU. So of course the Huskers get better and, more importantly, play better. But it’s a heavyweight matchup every week. So although I’m very excited about how HCMR’s team plays, I’m keeping my powder dry about wins/losses until next October or so.
I appreciate that the original post is measured and not overhyped, but yes - let’s tap the brakes in general. We’re not the only ones who’ve been trying to improve and upgrade talent since last season. Go big red!

If we stand still on D this is true. And natural progressions are offense ahead of defenses with defenses catching up.
I wouldn't say it the other way around.
There've been plenty of HCs saying this defense is the worst to play against, its the box of chocolates in football, the opposing offenses simply don't know what they're going to get.

If we can stop teams that dare us to stop them without changing anything on our D, the progress you talk about won't happen.
If We can't stop a great power run game, we switch out of our D to stop it, then they catch us doing so. Same for a great passing game, we start blitzing, they catch us doing so.

Last edited:

We have an opportunity to make a huge step forward with N football. I believe with the coaching staff, the culture created and with players who could have moved to the next level coming back for another speaks volumes. This team seems to have the desire and potential to do well this coming years and years to come! Only time will tell and in the mean time the Kool-Aid is tasting pretty good. Not to get ahead ourselves, but the stars are beginning to line up! GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back