• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked "This bowl really sucks...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

LincolnshireHusker

Recruit
2 Year Member
Well, here we are in December after a really frustrating season. Lost four games again this year. Had a West Coast "power" come into Lincoln and beat us. Our offense didn't live up to expectations and the defense took forever to get it together. Our head coach has been on the "hot seat" with a lot of people (at least some vocal fans) calling for him to be fired! They even hung the HC in effigy in Omaha. And now we end up going to a "second rate" bowl to play Georgia...and their fans are even less enthused to be playing Nebraska.

Did you catch the "hint"?...only if you've been following the Huskers for quite a while. The year was 1969 and we were going to El Paso to play Georgia in the Sun Bowl. Their fans weren't happy and neither were Husker fans though quite a few actually showed up in Red (NU red). The kids had something to prove in that bowl game and the Huskers schooled the Dawgs to the tune of 45-6. That propelled a young, talented Hunker team to undefeated seasons and national championships in 1970 and 1971.

The point of this history lesson, or kool-aid chugging, or whatever depending on your point-of-view, is to suggest that Nebraska has a real opportunity to finish the season right and to begin 2014 with a big win.:)

GBR!

Really? During the 2-loss 1969 season? I was living in Omaha at the time and don't remember that. Can you provide a link?

The only two losses that year were by 10 to 5th ranked USC and by 10 to 7th ranked Missouri. Nebraska ended the season ranked #11 in the AP poll and #12 in the UPI poll.

Not quite the same as this year.

They even hung the HC in effigy in Omaha.

Really? During the 2-loss 1969 season? I was living in Omaha at the time and don't remember that. Can you provide a link?

The only two losses that year were by 10 to 5th ranked USC and by 10 to 7th ranked Missouri. Nebraska ended the season ranked #11 in the AP poll and #12 in the UPI poll.

Not quite the same as this year.

Ya, you're right. The loss I was thinking of was the USC game. It was in 1968 that they hung Bob in effigy. And '67-68 were the four loss seasons. The memory is going.... Still, this game is a real opportunity for the team to finish well and start 2014 the right way.

Last edited:

I agree. Didn't mean to seem so harsh in my comments. Let's hope we roll UGA and get momentum going into next year. :)

Ya, you're right. It was in 1968 that they hung Bob in effigy. And '67-68 were the four loss seasons. The memory is going.... Still, this game is a real opportunity for the team to finish well and start 2014 the right way.

No, you were correct, not harsh. I just remember the Sun Bowl vs. Georgia and what a boost that gave the team.

I'm currious...where in the North Woods are you??

:)

Well, I spend part of the year in Florida and part of the year in northern Minnesota. And then my job requires a lot of global travel. This time of year I am in Florida. It is 80 degrees here and 20 below right now where my place is in Minnie. ;) That is why I am in Florida now. :Biggrin:

No, you were correct, not harsh. I just remember the Sun Bowl vs. Georgia and what a boost that gave the team.

I'm currious...where in the North Woods are you??

:)

Well, I spend part of the year in Florida and part of the year in northern Minnesota. And then my job requires a lot of global travel. This time of year I am in Florida. It is 80 degrees here and 20 below right now where my place is in Minnie. ;) That is why I am in Florida now. :Biggrin:

Smart - it's 1 degree here (Chicago northshore) and windy. Spend some time in northern Wisconsin so I was curious (also spent a summer fishing in Quetico Prov. Pk. just across the border north of Grand maris. Good times. (And time to go to bed)

I agree. It is after 4 am here and I have a conference call at 9:00. Cheers. Looking forward to conversing with you in the future. :)

Smart - it's 1 degree here (Chicago northshore) and windy. Spend some time in northern Wisconsin so I was curious (also spent a summer fishing in Quetico Prov. Pk. just across the border north of Grand maris. Good times. (And time to go to bed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back