• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked This and That

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
1. Can NU beat Wisconsin twice in the same season? Since 1960 NU has played the same team twice in the same season 3 times. Each time they won one and lost one. In 1978 NU beat OU 17-14 in Lincoln then lost 24-31 in the Orange bowl. In 1999 NU lost to Texas 20-24 in Austin and then beat them in the Big 12 CG in San Antonio 22-6. In 2010 NU beat Washington in Seattle 56-21 and lost to them in the Holiday Bowl 7-19. Wisconsin took OSU to overtime and held the OSU offense to just 14 points in regulation….and OSUs offense is very similar to ours. Wisconsin is improving but so is NU.

2. Biggest concern with Iowa is their big bruising running back Mark Weisman. NU has not done well against power running backs this year. Bell from MSU gained 188 yards versus NU. Hyde from OSU had 140 yards. Zwinak from PSU had 141 yards. However, against Michigan it looked like Iowa’s QB is an erratic passer and the Iowa secondary looked porous and confused. Their tight ends made plays but their wide receivers seemed none-existent. Their ability to stop the run was moderate. NU should win.

3. Lou Holtz was right. On the CF game day show he predicted that Stanford would beat Oregon. He said it would happen because Stanford had the best rush defense in the nation and would force Oregon into lots of 3rd and longs…and 3rd and long takes away the effectiveness of the hurry up offense. He also said that Oregon had a lot of injured players on their defense.

4. Best week-end in college football so far this season. Great match-ups, great games, great upsets.

5. Great to see that the SEC will likely get to defend their NC. They deserve it after winning the last 6. With losses by Oregon and KSU, the likely NC game will be ND versus the Alabama/Georgia winner.

6. NU was lucky that Denard Robinson was replaced by Bellamy in the Michigan game. Robinson’s new replacement is Gardner and he looks like a better QB than Robinson. With him as their QB, I give Michigan a good shot at beating OSU this week.

7. TM has looked brilliant the last two games. He was nearly error-free. He’s improving. He’s no longer tentative passing or running. I think the game is slowing down for him and he is gaining confidence. Now I can see why Bo stuck with him back when fans were clamoring for Carnes. Bo must have seen his potential from the beginning. Also, Beck’s play calling has been very good the last two games.

8. It was nice for a change watching an NU game where they did not have to come back in the second half.

9. One side of Memorial Stadium spells out "Thanks Tom". How did they do that? Pretty impressive.

10. During the Minnesota game The BTN play-by-play announcer said that Lincoln must be the nicest place in the world. It was his first visit to Lincoln and he was amazed at how friendly the NU fans were. It is a unique characteristic that Nebraskans can be proud of. I'll bet the BIG 10 is very happy with NU as their new addition. NU is giving Big 10 fans a great venue to attend.

Last edited:

I saw this thread title and thought someone had the same idea as my wife. All before the game she was talking about how she would like to see the "This or That" segment for the MN game be with Dr Tom. Not a half bad idea.

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

I share your concern about playing Wisconsin a second time. Even more peculiar, if the Huskers win they could face UCLA second time in the Rose Bowl.

I do not share your sympathy for the SEC. I would have liked to see another conference get a chance.

"9. One side of Memorial Stadium spells out "Thanks Tom". How did they do that? Pretty impressive."

I sat in the East stadium for the game. There were red/white cards (roughly 24"x36") taped to each seat. Each card had specific instructions as to which side faced out. To my surprise there's a company (probably more than one) that specializes in these 'card stunts'. I don't think the TV showed it, but after the "Thanks Tom" message, we all flipped our cards and it spelled out "Go Big Red". Pretty cool, indeed.

"9. One side of Memorial Stadium spells out "Thanks Tom". How did they do that? Pretty impressive."

I sat in the East stadium for the game. There were red/white cards (roughly 24"x36") taped to each seat. Each card had specific instructions as to which side faced out. To my surprise there's a company (probably more than one) that specializes in these 'card stunts'. I don't think the TV showed it, but after the "Thanks Tom" message, we all flipped our cards and it spelled out "Go Big Red". Pretty cool, indeed.

I was in the west stadium and the messages looked awesome.

1. Can NU beat Wisconsin twice in the same season? Since 1960 NU has played the same team twice in the same season 3 times. Each time they won one and lost one. In 1978 NU beat OU 17-14 in Lincoln then lost 24-31 in the Orange bowl. In 1999 NU lost to Texas 20-24 in Austin and then beat them in the Big 12 CG in San Antonio 22-6. In 2010 NU beat Washington in Seattle 56-21 and lost to them in the Holiday Bowl 7-19. Wisconsin took OSU to overtime and held the OSU offense to just 14 points in regulation….and OSUs offense is very similar to ours. Wisconsin is improving but so is NU.

Tough to beat any team twice. Unlike '78 and '10 where NU was disappointed ad maybe less than fully motivated they are playing for a lot in the CCG. UW is better, their QB (Phillips) is better than O'Brien but not as good as Stave. Their OLine is still a mess. If NU can score 24 points we'll win.

2. Biggest concern with Iowa is their big bruising running back Mark Weisman. NU has not done well against power running backs this year. Bell from MSU gained 188 yards versus NU. Hyde from OSU had 140 yards. Zwinak from PSU had 141 yards. However, against Michigan it looked like Iowa’s QB is an erratic passer and the Iowa secondary looked porous and confused. Their tight ends made plays but their wide receivers seemed none-existent. Their ability to stop the run was moderate. NU should win.

Agree, their big back looks good but their offense as a whole is pretty bad and I don't think their defense can hang with our offense.

3. Lou Holtz was right. On the CF game day show he predicted that Stanford would beat Oregon. He said it would happen because Stanford had the best rush defense in the nation and would force Oregon into lots of 3rd and longs…and 3rd and long takes away the effectiveness of the hurry up offense. He also said that Oregon had a lot of injured players on their defense.

Holtz is right ... hard to say .... maybe he's just lucky. I hope he's wrong this coming week. Big USC fan!

4. Best week-end in college football so far this season. Great match-ups, great games, great upsets.

Did not like this week. Entire SEC is playing FCS schools. UW lost to Ohio State, was cheering for Snyder and KSU, anything that causes a Oregon-NU Rose Bowl is not a good thing IMO.

5. Great to see that the SEC will likely get to defend their NC. They deserve it after winning the last 6. With losses by Oregon and KSU, the likely NC game will be ND versus the Alabama/Georgia winner.

They do not deserve defending their NC, each year is a new year. If Ohio State were eligible the SEC would still be on the outside looking in. A hate ND and I hate 'Bama. I am hoping Georgia beats 'Bama then I will cheer for the Bulldogs. If ND-'Bama play for the NC I'm not sure who I would cheer for!

6. NU was lucky that Denard Robinson was replaced by Bellamy in the Michigan game. Robinson’s new replacement is Gardner and he looks like a better QB than Robinson. With him as their QB, I give Michigan a good shot at beating OSU this week.

Gardner looks pretty good but NU was handling Michigan with Robinson at QB. Why diminish NU's performance?

7. TM has looked brilliant the last two games. He was nearly error-free. He’s improving. He’s no longer tentative passing or running. I think the game is slowing down for him and he is gaining confidence. Now I can see why Bo stuck with him back when fans were clamoring for Carnes. Bo must have seen his potential from the beginning. Also, Beck’s play calling has been very good the last two games.

I suspect Carnes was never an option.

It's called a "card section" for all you young ones who've never see it. I was in the Nebraska card section as a student in the late 60s (we had Tassels and Corncobs back then). Really not that difficult to draw it out on a grid but is very time consuming. I used to design them for our high school pep club in the late 1960s. Seems like yesterday.

Thanks for the response. I couldn't quite picture how it was done. I was thinking that the cards were handed out as people entered the stadium. Placing them on the seats with instructions...of course!

What method was used to prompt the fans to hold up their cards simultaneously? PA annoucement? A command using the stadium video screens? :confused:

NU AD employees (student workers most likely) were down on the field level holding up signs as to when to show side 1 and side 2 and so on...

It's called a "card section" for all you young ones who've never see it. I was in the Nebraska card section as a student in the late 60s (we had Tassels and Corncobs back then). Really not that difficult to draw it out on a grid but is very time consuming. I used to design them for our high school pep club in the late 1960s. Seems like yesterday.

Yes, I'll bet it is time consuming. I remember the husker card section from the Bob Devaney Days. I always thought it was the band who was doing the cards. I guess the card section was separate from the band. Is that right?

I attended the 1966 NU home game with Texas Christian. Dull game we won 14-10. I remember Wayne Meylan and "Light Horse" Harry Wilson from that game. I also remember the card section doing a variety of different messages. It was really cool.

When did the card section go away? I suppose the athletic department eventually decided to use those student seats for higher paying customers.

Hey, Katy fan...I have a brother who lives in Waller, Texas. You guys are neighbors. Have you seen that new Husker RB recruit who plays for Katy? I understand that Katy has a perennial top-5 HS football team in class 5A.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back