• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"There's no doubt in my mind...

I don’t understand the hand-wringing here. Looking at Frost’s whole statement in context, it looked like he was paving the road for Adrian Martinez to start the Iowa game. The compliments about Luke were meant to soften the blow. Frost all but announced Martinez would be starting, when he talked about the chip on his shoulder, etc.

For those who watched Luke’s struggles vs Illinois, there‘s little defense for sticking with Luke. Does anyone really think he’d magically have the necessary tools to overcome Iowa? The team will need to be able to pass down field. Martinez has has his struggles, but he has a better likelihood of executing that game plan. It was nice that he led a garbage time TD drive in his limited opportunity Saturday. And his attitude has been all ‘team‘.

McCaffrey was embarrassed by the Illinois defense, but losing the starting job he held for 2 weeks is also a type of humiliation. I read Frost’s comments as a positive statement about Luke to soften the blow to his confidence.

If Smothers should take anything from this whole saga, it’s that a guy who is performing well in practice is going to get a chance in the game. No one keeps the job by virtue of pedigree or even experience. You have to produce. I would think every young player would be happy knowing that.

Ultimately, the overall message to the QB room is that we‘re trying to win football games here. If I’m Smothers, I’m looking at the performance of the #1 and #2 QB, I’m liking my chances of competing for playing time in the coming years. I would be doubling my efforts in learning the offense and honing my skills.

Last edited:

I don't know if your name was meant as a joke or it's dumb coincidence, but your name is my 2nd favorite on this board. Nice work pal.
tenor.gif

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back