• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Urban Offense and Pelini's Blackshirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think Pelini can game plan against anyone when his chess pieces are as good as LSU usually gets.

My biggest concern is the defensive end position. I'd REALLY like to see some guys with the ability to rush the passer. Our DEs look sluggish and not even particularly strong. We've had some pretty damn salty ends (Wistrom, Rucker, Tomich, both Kelsays, etc) at Nebraska, and I'd like to see someone step in and re-establish that tradition. I want more aggression from this position.

I'm not sure the defense NU's running requires/expects/lends itself to dominant pass rushing DE's. Either NU has had some poor ones the last few years or the way NU wants to play does not include turning the ends loose on the pass rush.

I'm not sure the defense NU's running requires/expects/lends itself to dominant pass rushing DE's. Either NU has had some poor ones the last few years or the way NU wants to play does not include turning the ends loose on the pass rush.

You're probably right about scheme, and that is a source of frustration for me. With the interior guys playing two gaps each, I'd think there could be more flexibility/creativity when it comes to the DEs. I'm not the one getting paid to figure it all out, though.

Then again, it's possible that we're just not that great at the DE position right now. I think that in the "old days" Fisher would have been converted to DE. Unfortunately, there was a more immediate need at LB. I know it's been 4 years, but we're still working on building quality players and depth at all positions. You can only recruit so many players each year. I hope we keep getting better and more consistent across the board.

You're probably right about scheme, and that is a source of frustration for me. With the interior guys playing two gaps each, I'd think there could be more flexibility/creativity when it comes to the DEs. I'm not the one getting paid to figure it all out, though.

Then again, it's possible that we're just not that great at the DE position right now. I think that in the "old days" Fisher would have been converted to DE. Unfortunately, there was a more immediate need at LB. I know it's been 4 years, but we're still working on building quality players and depth at all positions. You can only recruit so many players each year. I hope we keep getting better and more consistent across the board.

Our DL could be so much more. First off, I understand the 2 gap system and you can create a heavy pass rush out of a 4 man front while playing this system but as we utilize it we will never do that. It appears that our DL is being asked to shadow the QB in an effort to keep him in the pocket and hopefully collapse it on him....In theory that sounds nice if you have a man like Suh who can make the pocket collapse but when you have average guys than the QB gets all day to throw. Secondly, our DL technique is god awful, hit and seperation is piss poor, when they do try a pass rush move they either spin in place or get locked up because they are very average at engaging the blocker. The best pass rusher we have is Eric Martin and I think that is due in large part because he goes in and rushes the QB and worries less about pocket containment (IMO) and this could be why he is used sparingly in the system because he does not generally follow the "system". I am hoping that the new DL coach can teach proper technique and leverage and that way we can start to have DE's,DT's who can actually apply half man pressure to the OT and either club/spin under when they are a step above the QB or chop hands/swim dependent on where the QB is.

Also we need to get some flexibility into our DE's...they look so unathletic out there...Merredith has put on way to much weight and/or bulk and it has cost him in his speed and quickness

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back