• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Urban Offense and Pelini's Blackshirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Rawkfanseth mentioned in another thread that Urban Meyer is one of the truly great coaches in football, having won two titles and gone undefeated in another season. He also mentioned that Meyer has historically struggled against Pelini defenses.

That conversation prompted me to take a second look. We know that during their SEC tenure, Meyer and Pelini met up three times in 2005-2007.

In 2005, the Gators finished 3rd in the SEC East (6th overall), but they managed to hold onto a Top 15 ranking through most of the season. When LSU played Florida, the Tigers and Gators were ranked #10 and #11, respectively. The 21-17 loss was a back-and-forth affair, but the Gators attempted a rally in the 4th quarter. Pelini's defense held them to just 30 yards in the final quarter, allowing LSU to put up the final points of the game.

2006 was Meyer's first national title at Florida, but it was not without close calls as the Gators barely escaped both Tennessee and South Carolina by a single point. The Tigers scored only once in the first half but their defense was instrumental in slowing the Gator attack. Florida scored twice in the first half - both on gimmick plays featuring a freshman Tim Tebow. Florida ultimately won, but QB starter Chris Leak was held without a TD pass for the entire game - the only time that happened to the Gators in 2006.

2007 was Pelini's last year at LSU (obviously- he started at NU in 2008). The Gators looked to repeat their National Title run, but Pelini and LSU had other ideas. While the Tiger offense bungled several scoring opportunities the defense held solid and kept the Tebow-fueled offense to only 1 touchdown in the second half, compared to LSU's 3 TDs.

Besides their SEC run, I don't know of any coaching history between Meyer and Pelini. I believe that UM was a grad assistant at OSU while Pelini was still a player, but I do not know if they coached against one another until their SEC days. However, in those three years Meyer was fielding some of the most explosive offenses in the nation. Pelini meanwhile, was turning out a dominant defense that is still a hallmark of LSU even after his departure. This season's game against Ohio State should be telling.

Hopefully the D will be in the top 10 again this year. I think the D will be better than last year, but how much better is the question. GBR

Hopefully the D will be in the top 10 again this year. I think the D will be better than last year, but how much better is the question. GBR

I'm having a hard time believing we will be better a LB or DB.. i'm not saying there's no room for improvement but losing Lavonte and Fonzo will hard to replace with better players. The D-line could be better if we can keep healthy.

Our secondary has the potential to be the best in the Big Ten....Seisay is a stud and with Evans, Green etc we are going to be very good at CB and Damion Stafford could be an All-America this year at safety....

We have Anderson, Rose and Santo ready to step up at LB and all three look to be real good ones....Anderson from what I saw at RCC out here in CA is the real deal too....

I think our LB and DBs are really going to surprise some folks....

Agree on the D-line....

I'm having a hard time believing we will be better a LB or DB.. i'm not saying there's no room for improvement but losing Lavonte and Fonzo will hard to replace with better players. The D-line could be better if we can keep healthy.

Last edited:

Sr. Stafford and Sr. Osborne/Smith > Jr. Stafford and Sr. Cassidy

Couple that with Seisay taking over for a hobbled Dennard who missed the first few games, and more experience with Green, Evans, Mitchell, etc. I think we are somewhat better at defensive back then we were last year.

However, I think the true tell that we will be better in the secondary is who we put over the slot receiver, last year it was Thorell. Granted he had an interception against MSU, but overall I would say that was a battle opposing offensive coordinators circled as one they wanted to exploit. I don't know if offenses will be able to do that this year....

Time will tell....

Linebacker is the position that worries me when I get bored and go back and watch tape from last year. Not only was David a superior talent, but his instincts he developed from his first start as a junior to what he was doing as a senior was/is remarkable. There are times he would go behind the clutter and chase the ball carrier down, other times he knew he had to go over the top. That is something that can't be taught...

I actually saw Anderson play one game for RCC in Riverside and he is a special talent....I think he will step in and help right away....

But yes we are young at that position with Rose and Santos being the other newbies who will probably see playing time....

Linebacker is the position that worries me when I get bored and go back and watch tape from last year. Not only was David a superior talent, but his instincts he developed from his first start as a junior to what he was doing as a senior was/is remarkable. There are times he would go behind the clutter and chase the ball carrier down, other times he knew he had to go over the top. That is something that can't be taught...

The D-line is the most important, IMO. Pelini's defenses have always been at their best with a great front 4 to lead the way. That was true when at LSU, and at NU when Suh was here.

Since then.....not so good.

I'm actually on board with Red Reign regarding the secondary. I think we have a lot of talent, and I think Coach Joseph is an upgrade over Coach Raymond. Don't underestimate that component. Dennard was a great player, but I don't see him as irreplaceable. Hopefully Seisay is as good as advertised.

When it comes to the linebackers, I think that both Compton and Whaley really started to figure things out last year. They now both have the opportunity to have pretty darn good seasons. I've never been a huge fan of Fisher as a linebacker, but he is one more year removed from a pretty nasty injury and should be faster and more aggressive. The younger guys, like Santos, Anderson, and Rose, provide some depth. While none of the individuals can match what Lavonte David did, I think the overall sum will be greater than the parts this year. I'll be just as satisfied with solid play across the board as I was with outstanding play from one guy.

The interior of the defensive line may end up being pretty stout. We spent most of last year without our anchor, as Crick missed 8 games (including all but one conference game) with injuries. Baker Steinkuhler is a pretty darn good player that has been overlooked, and we have several other guys that picked up some quality experience last season in Crick's absence.

My biggest concern is the defensive end position. I'd REALLY like to see some guys with the ability to rush the passer. Our DEs look sluggish and not even particularly strong. We've had some pretty damn salty ends (Wistrom, Rucker, Tomich, both Kelsays, etc) at Nebraska, and I'd like to see someone step in and re-establish that tradition. I want more aggression from this position.

My biggest concern is the defensive end position. I'd REALLY like to see some guys with the ability to rush the passer. Our DEs look sluggish and not even particularly strong. We've had some pretty damn salty ends (Wistrom, Rucker, Tomich, both Kelsays, etc) at Nebraska, and I'd like to see someone step in and re-establish that tradition. I want more aggression from this position.

Agree. Martin is a great special teams guy, but I don't know if he will ever be a dominant DE. I think Ankrah is probably the best shot to be a great pass rusher, but he was kind of a non-entity most of last year. If I recall correctly, I think he did have a pretty decent game against Iowa.

Todd Peat and Rome are both youngsters too and Peat will see his first playing time this fall in college...I think he has the opportunity to be a special player.....

As for DE don't be surprised if Greg McMullen plays there as a true Frosh....he is college rerady in my opinion and a stud....but yeah some concern for sure...

I'm actually on board with Red Reign regarding the secondary. I think we have a lot of talent, and I think Coach Joseph is an upgrade over Coach Raymond. Don't underestimate that component. Dennard was a great player, but I don't see him as irreplaceable. Hopefully Seisay is as good as advertised.

When it comes to the linebackers, I think that both Compton and Whaley really started to figure things out last year. They now both have the opportunity to have pretty darn good seasons. I've never been a huge fan of Fisher as a linebacker, but he is one more year removed from a pretty nasty injury and should be faster and more aggressive. The younger guys, like Santos, Anderson, and Rose, provide some depth. While none of the individuals can match what Lavonte David did, I think the overall sum will be greater than the parts this year. I'll be just as satisfied with solid play across the board as I was with outstanding play from one guy.

The interior of the defensive line may end up being pretty stout. We spent most of last year without our anchor, as Crick missed 8 games (including all but one conference game) with injuries. Baker Steinkuhler is a pretty darn good player that has been overlooked, and we have several other guys that picked up some quality experience last season in Crick's absence.

Greg McMullen I think will play as a true Frosh....he has the potential to be very good....he is a man-child....

Agree. Martin is a great special teams guy, but I don't know if he will ever be a dominant DE. I think Ankrah is probably the best shot to be a great pass rusher, but he was kind of a non-entity most of last year. If I recall correctly, I think he did have a pretty decent game against Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back