• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Urban effect on recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
A plan B if you don't land a certain recruit....

My point being that the sky is not falling....folks need to be patient....

Andrus Peat is our #1 target....Westerkamp was a 3-star when he committed....so he was not our #1 guy from day one....

He was a Plan B for Notre Dame...and that is a fact....

Westerkamp has not decommited or committed to Notre Dame.....

Do you sleep? or am I responding to a computer?:Biggrin:
Correct, Westercamp isn't #1 recruit from the start but one of our 4* verbals.
If anything I can keep this conversation going until the dam breaks and I'm proven wrong!:wave:
I'd rather be proven wrong than right.

The sky is falling and we are in full meltdown....it gets old.....

Seems like just yesterday when I would come to the board and hear about how Stoops was about to stockpile NCs at OK as he was stockpiling all the big "star" recruits.

there is so much that goes into winning beyond just talented players that it's silly to worry too much about all this. If it was just about stars then texas would have won like the last 10 national championships with their wonderful coach february...seems they can't get out of their own way the rest of the year though.

Last edited:
Notre Dame falls into the catagory too....

there is so much that goes into winning beyond just talented players that it's silly to worry too much about all this. If it was just about stars then texas would have won like the last 10 national championships with their wonderful coach february...seems they can't get out of their own way the rest of the year though.

You act like Texas is not a national power. Just because they have not been National Championship contenders the last two years, dont forget the last decade.

2002: 11-2, def. LSU in the Cotton Bowl
2003: 10-3
2004: 11-1, def. Michigan in the Rose Bowl
2005: 13-0, def. USC in the National Championship Game
2006: 10-3, def. Iowa in the Alamo Bowl
2007: 10-3. def. Arizona State in the Holiday Bowl
2008: 12-1, def. Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl
2009: 13-1, lost to Alabama in the National Championship Game
2010: 5-7
2011: 7-5 and playing in the Holiday Bowl

Are the 2010 and 2011 seasons what you are using to prove your point? Besides a recent staff overhaul, Texas has had to replace a 4-year starter at QB and when they settle that position they will be right back where they have been. Talent wins and Texas has proven that. As has Florida, LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia, USC and all of the other teams who have perennial top 10 recruiting classes. People who talk like recruiting rankings are overrated frankly make me laugh. They sound like disgruntled fans who act like kids who dont want to play with a toy because they know their parents cant afford one, when deep down they are crying inside for it.

NCAA announces sanctions on Ohio State

The NCAA today stunned Ohio State University’s football program by banning it from postseason play after the 2012 season.

* Stripped four more football scholarships on top of Ohio State’s prior forfeiture of five scholarships over three seasons. The NCAA stipulated that OSU forfeit three scholarships (from a total of 85 to 82) in each of the next three seasons.
* Added nearly 1 1/2 years to the probation imposed by Ohio State on the football program. The school wanted a two-year that started July 8. Instead, Ohio State will be on probation for three years through Dec. 19, 2014.

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stories/2011/12/20/ncaa-report.html

NO I act like someone that doesn't believe all the recruiting Hype. This is nothing more than projections, it's guesswork and an inexact science. As I said there is more to winning championships than just recruiting. There is hard work, chemistry, coaching ability, character of the individual players and plain simple luck. Texas has basically had the best classes year in and year out under Mack Brown and it still took a crooked conference to get him a conference championship against us a few years ago and he hasn't exactly been wracking up even those now has he? Not to mention his established veteran staff, with all the money in the world and supposed talent managed to go a wonderful 5-7 and that prompted the staff shakeup. Seems we started a first year guy last year also and managed a better record with supposedly less talent on the roster. People who talk like recruiting rankings are the end all be all of college football frankly don't get it.

You act like Texas is not a national power. Just because they have not been National Championship contenders the last two years, dont forget the last decade.

Are the 2010 and 2011 seasons what you are using to prove your point? Besides a recent staff overhaul, Texas has had to replace a 4-year starter at QB and when they settle that position they will be right back where they have been. Talent wins and Texas has proven that. As has Florida, LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia, USC and all of the other teams who have perennial top 10 recruiting classes. People who talk like recruiting rankings are overrated frankly make me laugh. They sound like disgruntled fans who act like kids who dont want to play with a toy because they know their parents cant afford one, when deep down they are crying inside for it.

Wish NCAA would have had the sack to slap OSU with a Bowl ban and not allowed the dual coaching thing to happen.

NCAA showing once again that they have no clue. I assume they can't penalize too many high profile teams at once so that they don't hurt the cash flow. :rolleyes:

NO I act like someone that doesn't believe all the recruiting Hype. This is nothing more than projections, it's guesswork and an inexact science. As I said there is more to winning championships than just recruiting. There is hard work, chemistry, coaching ability, character of the individual players and plain simple luck. Texas has basically had the best classes year in and year out under Mack Brown and it still took a crooked conference to get him a conference championship against us a few years ago and he hasn't exactly been wracking up even those now has he? Not to mention his established veteran staff, with all the money in the world and supposed talent managed to go a wonderful 5-7 and that prompted the staff shakeup. Seems we started a first year guy last year also and managed a better record with supposedly less talent on the roster. People who talk like recruiting rankings are the end all be all of college football frankly don't get it.

Honestly I dont care what you believe when it comes to recruiting rankings. They are a lot like the NFL draft. With recruiting and the Draft, a player's success often is attributed to the system he plays in, the coaching, trainers, inner drive, etc. I agree with you 100% on that. Like the NFL draft, players sometimes have reached their physical peek at different points. Sometimes they take to different coaching. Sometimes they lose their motivation. Sometimes they are not used to competing rigorously, constantly. Breaking up with your GF effects them. Of course numerous factors go into it, they are not machines.

Just like the NFL draft, with recruiting all you can do is go by what you see on film and what they do when they participate in camps and combines. Are their no-brainer 5***** players and 1st round picks who live up to expecations? Yep. Are their 3*** players and 4th round picks who outplay more well thought of guys? Yep. Like the draft, recruiting rankings are usually speculation for 2-3 years. But I will say this about recruiting classes: when you look at teams' recruiting classes and where its ranked, most of the time it corresponds with their Top 25 rankings. Thats the only proof I need that the rankings matter. They are usually accurate.

What has changed? Oklahoma is still at that pace.

Still on what pace? Stoops still hasn't won without Blakes recruits. They need to fire Stoops so someone can win it with his recruits. Solich won with TOs recruits Callahan won with Solich's recruits and Bo has won with Callahan's recruits. We need to get back on schedule and fire Bo so someone can win with his recruits. It's all about recruiting right?

Yes that is sarcasm.

Now you're just making stuff up, who is saying recruiting doesn't matter? You are completely missing the point, it does matter it just isn't everything.

Urban is hired at OSU and you pretend like you are telling us something we don't know. Urban is a great coach and recruiter, we know that, so what do you want us to do? Throw in the towel go cry in the corner and just give up? OMG OMG OMG Urban just got a 5 star.....IT'S ALL OVER NOW. Turn out the lights, blow up the stadium and burn your Husker gear people.....we are DONE! This is defcon 5 full on freak out head for the hills type stuff y'all...it's hopeless. And to think no one thought they would even go after Urban or that he would take the job....DANGIT! It just sucks cause Tressel was just horrible, now they are going to get all the 5 stars and be super freaky awesome. Just engrave all the NC trophies for the next 50 years and get it over with. Why even play?

Florida's recruiting classes were ranked #2 '06 #1 '07 #3 '08 and #11 '09 according to Rivals. They finished 7-5 2010 and were barely relevant this year. Just get the 5 stars and put it on cruise control, it's that easy right? I just hope Tebow doesn't have any brothers or sons.

Talent wins

Charlie Weis, Ron Zook and Mike Sherman agree! You mention UGA, as much as I like Richt all that talent he has stockpiled hasn't exactly given him solid job security.

Now you're just making stuff up, who is saying recruiting doesn't matter? You are completely missing the point, it does matter it just isn't everything.

Urban is hired at OSU and you pretend like you are telling us something we don't know. Urban is a great coach and recruiter, we know that, so what do you want us to do? Throw in the towel go cry in the corner and just give up? OMG OMG OMG Urban just got a 5 star.....IT'S ALL OVER NOW. Turn out the lights, blow up the stadium and burn your Husker gear people.....we are DONE! This is defcon 5 full on freak out head for the hills type stuff y'all...it's hopeless. And to think no one thought they would even go after Urban or that he would take the job....DANGIT! It just sucks cause Tressel was just horrible, now they are going to get all the 5 stars and be super freaky awesome. Just engrave all the NC trophies for the next 50 years and get it over with. Why even play?

Florida's recruiting classes were ranked #2 '06 #1 '07 #3 '08 and #11 '09 according to Rivals. They finished 7-5 2010 and were barely relevant this year. Just get the 5 stars and put it on cruise control, it's that easy right? I just hope Tebow doesn't have any brothers or sons.

Charlie Weis, Ron Zook and Mike Sherman agree! You mention UGA, as much as I like Richt all that talent he has stockpiled hasn't exactly given him solid job security.

Defcon 3....or yellow maybe

When did I ever say any of that? Or imply it? Heaping praise on Urban Meyer equals that kind of an overreaction? Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back