• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Urban effect on recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio State keeps stockpiling talent..thankfully we avoid them after next year, until at least the conference champ game....they are going to be a bear to beat and next year could get ugly

http://espn.go.com/college-football...e-end-noah-spence-commits-ohio-state-buckeyes

For the last several months, Noah Spence's plan was to make an announcement at the Under Armour All-American Game. And up until three weeks ago, Ohio State wasn't going to be one of the hats on the table.
On Sunday, during an official visit to Ohio State, though, Spence, a five-star defensive end ranked No. 4 overall nationally, committed to the Buckeyes -- the program's third ESPNU 150 commit in just a week.

what really bugs me is that this story that I linked came from the home page of espn.com....why exactly is Ohio St getting front page of espn type press for recruiting???

Ohio State keeps stockpiling talent..thankfully we avoid them after next year, until at least the conference champ game....they are going to be a bear to beat and next year could get ugly

http://espn.go.com/college-football...e-end-noah-spence-commits-ohio-state-buckeyes

For the last several months, Noah Spence's plan was to make an announcement at the Under Armour All-American Game. And up until three weeks ago, Ohio State wasn't going to be one of the hats on the table.
On Sunday, during an official visit to Ohio State, though, Spence, a five-star defensive end ranked No. 4 overall nationally, committed to the Buckeyes -- the program's third ESPNU 150 commit in just a week.

I have been trying to tell people that Urban Meyer is a huge recruiting threat to Nebraska. Sure Jim Tressel was a good recruiter and routinely had Ohio State classes ranked in the top dozen annually, but Urban Meyer is a horse of a different color. Ohio State is essentially Texas for the B1G. In that I mean that Ohio is the place where the most talent for the conference resides. Michigan and Pennsylvania also have a lot of talent, but Ohio is easily the most talented state in the conference. Nebraska will want to make Ohio one of their top states to pull talent from just from a conference standpoint. Urban Meyer (like he did the state of Florida with the Gators) is going to dominate Ohio the way Mack Brown dominates Texas and the way Pete Carroll dominated California.

Of course winning is the ultimate trump card and having Bo Pelini and Tim Beck with deep Ohio roots will help...but Meyer is going to put a hammer on that state.

As with ESPNU 150 defensive lineman Se'Von Pittman and Tommy Schutt, who committed Dec. 12, the Buckeyes staff alleviated any fears Spence had about looming NCAA sanctions.
"We believe everything will work out fine," Greg Spence said. "There won't be any long-term repercussions."

I have been trying to tell people that Urban Meyer is a huge recruiting threat to Nebraska. Sure Jim Tressel was a good recruiter and routinely had Ohio State classes ranked in the top dozen annually, but Urban Meyer is a horse of a different color. Ohio State is essentially Texas for the B1G. In that I mean that Ohio is the place where the most talent for the conference resides. Michigan and Pennsylvania also have a lot of talent, but Ohio is easily the most talented state in the conference. Nebraska will want to make Ohio one of their top states to pull talent from just from a conference standpoint. Urban Meyer (like he did the state of Florida with the Gators) is going to dominate Ohio the way Mack Brown dominates Texas and the way Pete Carroll dominated California.

Of course winning is the ultimate trump card and having Bo Pelini and Tim Beck with deep Ohio roots will help...but Meyer is going to put a hammer on that state.

I said the same thing weeks ago. Meyer = Pete Carroll. Not good for us.

Heads up folks we aren't in Kansas any more! The big 10 has changed since Nebraska joined just over a year ago. Mich was down and Ohio St was in a mess , guess what we are in a gang fight.
The two biggest powers in the Big 10 just got big again overnight and we have a very good Mich st and Wisconsin to deal with, notwithstanding that we already lost to the "smart" school in the league.
If we want to recruit in the Midwest then we have Notre Dame to deal with or to keep out of our chicken coop.
Nebraska has a ways to go to establish the brand in the Big 10, wish we would have had a couple more years of a or so in conference. We wanted in the Big 10 and here were are and it won't be easy sledding unless we find a way to recruit. Texas, Calif, Florida, Ohio where is the concentration going to be?
I still think Nebraska has recruiting issues considering the league we are now in.

Last edited:
What recruiting issues?

Heads up folks we aren't in Kansas any more! The big 10 has changed since Nebraska joined just over a year ago. Mich was down and Ohio St was in a mess , guess what we are in a gang fight.
The two biggest powers in the Big 10 just got big again overnight and we have a very good Mich st and Wisconsin to deal with, notwithstanding that we already lost to the "smart" school in the league.
If we want to recruit in the Midwest then we have Notre Dame to deal with or to keep out of our chicken coop.
Nebraska has a ways to go to establish the brand in the Big 10, wish we would have had a couple more years of a or so in conference. We wanted in the Big 10 and here were are and it won't be easy sledding unless we find a way to recruit. Texas, Calif, Florida, Ohio where is the concentration going to be?
I still think Nebraska has recruiting issues considering the league we are now in.

What recruiting issues?

Hard to argue this issue until after Feb 3 or the exact signing date and we take count, then this issues will be laid out.
If Nebraska gets the players they want today, great. Doesn't have to be big numbers but the guys we want. If we lose comits or lose out on close calls, well another issue.
The recruiting game is over the first of Febr.

I think our issue is having a small class which really isnt an issue but it sure doesnt gives us much swing and miss wiggle room....a class full of potential "plan b" recruits will not cut it against the likes of Ohio St

Who said we had a classful 'plan B recruits'?

I think our issue is having a small class which really isnt an issue but it sure doesnt gives us much swing and miss wiggle room....a class full of potential "plan b" recruits will not cut it against the likes of Ohio St

Every team has one...

Let this playout..we are doing okay so far.....

"/Every team has one..." what?

We don't have much choice but to let this playout but when you are Nebraska and you are dealing with so few picks every one becomes more important.
If we are going to recruit in the middle of Big 10 country I don't think it will enhance our image if our #1 pick from day one is all of a sudden discovered by ND and within a week or two converted to ND, we have been on that kid too long for that to happen and I don't think it will which will be a double win for Nebraska or a double well you can guess.

A plan B if you don't land a certain recruit....

My point being that the sky is not falling....folks need to be patient....

Andrus Peat is our #1 target....Westerkamp was a 3-star when he committed....so he was not our #1 guy from day one....

He was a Plan B for Notre Dame...and that is a fact....

Westerkamp has not decommited or committed to Notre Dame.....

"/Every team has one..." what?

We don't have much choice but to let this playout but when you are Nebraska and you are dealing with so few picks every one becomes more important.
If we are going to recruit in the middle of Big 10 country I don't think it will enhance our image if our #1 pick from day one is all of a sudden discovered by ND and within a week or two converted to ND, we have been on that kid too long for that to happen and I don't think it will which will be a double win for Nebraska or a double well you can guess.

Seems like just yesterday when I would come to the board and hear about how Stoops was about to stockpile NCs at OK as he was stockpiling all the big "star" recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back