• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The sky isn't falling

Status
Not open for further replies.

310Husker

Recruit
2 Year Member
I was at the game yesterday and was one of many people who thought we'd roll over UCLA with little or no trouble. I was wrong, but I don't think we need to start calling for people's heads just yet. Playing a tight game on the road against an athletic team from a major conference shouldn't be a complete negative. Don't get me wrong, the play of the defense and the abandanment of the running game in the second half are concerns, but we have three weeks to clean it up before Wisconsin (who apparantly isn't very good either).

Despite the euphoria from week one, none of us should have really felt this team was ready for a National Championship run, but the Conference title is still a reality. The B1G is underwhelming and is very much up for grabs. Michigan St. and Ohio St. look like the only top 15 teams in the group and Sparty has a stationary QB that our defense has traditionally given trouble to.

If the coaches let Taylor be an athlete and keep him out of situations where he's throwing 7 consecutive passes, the offense will perform well and we'll score plenty. The real concern is the defense and I'm cautiously optimistice that a Head Coach who is known as one of the best defensive minds in the country can put something together before conference play.

I hope all the fans still enjoyed the trip to Cali and can make it back out again in January. GBR!!!

chicken_little.png

I was at the game yesterday and was one of many people who thought we'd roll over UCLA with little or no trouble. I was wrong, but I don't think we need to start calling for people's heads just yet. Playing a tight game on the road against an athletic team from a major conference shouldn't be a complete negative. Don't get me wrong, the play of the defense and the abandanment of the running game in the second half are concerns, but we have three weeks to clean it up before Wisconsin (who apparantly isn't very good either).

Despite the euphoria from week one, none of us should have really felt this team was ready for a National Championship run, but the Conference title is still a reality. The B1G is underwhelming and is very much up for grabs. Michigan St. and Ohio St. look like the only top 15 teams in the group and Sparty has a stationary QB that our defense has traditionally given trouble to.

If the coaches let Taylor be an athlete and keep him out of situations where he's throwing 7 consecutive passes, the offense will perform well and we'll score plenty. The real concern is the defense and I'm cautiously optimistice that a Head Coach who is known as one of the best defensive minds in the country can put something together before conference play.

I hope all the fans still enjoyed the trip to Cali and can make it back out again in January. GBR!!!

I don't think that losing to a team when you give up 650 yards isn't a complete negative. We had thousands of people there and that didn't help. This is the 5th year of Pelini. We had more talent the first three years when he was here - those weren't his recruits. It seems to me that either he can't recruit talent or the talent he recruits is misued or mismanaged. If we don't win the conference championship this year then it's time to say goodbye to BO. I for one am not satisfied with 9-4 every year and I don't think Husker Nation should be satisfied with that either.

I don't think the sky is falling either but...but giving up 653 yards to any team should be a big big flag that something isn't right.

Go Big Red!

I don't think that losing to a team when you give up 650 yards isn't a complete negative. We had thousands of people there and that didn't help. This is the 5th year of Pelini. We had more talent the first three years when he was here - those weren't his recruits. It seems to me that either he can't recruit talent or the talent he recruits is misued or mismanaged. If we don't win the conference championship this year then it's time to say goodbye to BO. I for one am not satisfied with 9-4 every year and I don't think Husker Nation should be satisfied with that either.

I disagree with your statement. Although I am dissapointed in the loss, I am not ready to write him off yet. We may win the Big Ten this year, but if we dont and get to 9 wins, I will be happy. Anything less than 9 wins will be a dissapointment. Next year on the other hand the stakes are higher with a more favorable schedule. I will not do to Bo what many did to TO so many years ago.

If Bo goes 9 - 4 and we fire him, we will not be able to get ANY coach to come here. TO's not going to do it, because he knows that's the truth.

Now, Bo may decide to take another job, which is an entirely different circumstance for us as far as replacing him goes.

As far as the defense's performance, it is a big concern, but to some degree we have to get used to track meet football games. With no-huddle and basketball games on turf, there are simply going to be games were teams give up way more yards than fans think they should.

It's a long season, so take heart. Let's hope it doesn't become a looonnnngggg season.

Seems like it's a familiar theme. I had thought the leadership would be better with road games and the trap contests. They had talked about it all off season. We have leadership again. When I watched the game the Bruins were excited to play the game. They were up and bouncing around. You could feel their heat though the television screen.

Nebraska was calm and businesslike from first appearance. Maybe it wasn't businesslike as it was unexcited to play the game. It was a contrast however in approaches. I bought into the hype and the attempt to have leadership within the ranks.

Now it's back to the drawing board. Next week if this trend continues the Huskers rock and take out their frustrations out on an inferior team. The following week who knows. The thing is winning ugly is still winning. In this ugly conference we need to get our hands dirty. We need to get angry.

I've been a glass half full guy all my life. I love the game, but looking back at the history of Nebraska, if they would try to run off Devaney and Osborne, they will surly turn the thumbscrews on Bo and this staff. Right or wrong the clock is ticking louder.

This regrouping and rebooting of the system is very important. Bo has got to change the trends this season. If not I don't know if he has the makeup to withstand the heat that is coming his way.

I wrote a couple of weeks back that this is an important year for Bo. That he needed to break the trends of the past four years as the excuses have run out. I really thought he had the pieces in place. Yet the roller coaster ride continues. Nebraska will roll this week if the trend holds true. But,........ will their collective attention span continue past next Saturday for Bo's sake.

I'm trying to be that koolaid sipper but Solich currently has the best winning percentage in the NCAA since his move to Ohio. His teams are tough and hardened mentally. Bo's, not so much. I took having the pieces in place as a sign of a turn-around. I may have been wrong. It's a mental thing and I'm not a very good judge of the current mindset it appears. This is a very important moment for Bo. Can he hold up the sky.

Let's keep this in perspective. We've been laying turds on the road since, oh, about 1997. Saturday was another one. There will be more.

GBR.

I don't think the sky is falling either but...but giving up 653 yards to any team should be a big big flag that something isn't right.

Go Big Red!

The something that isn't right, is our defensive personell. Not sure that group would dominate anyone even if they had the greatest defensive coach in history...just not enough speed or athleticism.

I think Bo willl either prove his worth as a great defensive mind this year or face a lot of heat in 2013. We aren't as talented on defense as we were in '09 or 2010, but I think there is enough there for us to be solid by the time conference play rolls around. We aren't a top 25 defense, but we might not need that for the B1G title this year, especially if we start running the ball closer to 60% of the time. At any rate, calling for Bo's head right now is wrong. Our last two coaching searches didn't end with the Urban Meyer's of the world knocking on our door.

We don't need to replace Bo currently. But, he does need to show a willingness to change and adapt. Even Mike Shanahan has changed his offense this year to compliment RG3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back