• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The rich get richer and the poor get screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

utsker

All Big 10
10 Year Member
Bowl teams get 15 practices...those not going to bowls get nada. This is one of the great inequities in college sports.

They should let teams that aren't bowl bound have an additional 15 practices through December 31st.

Bowl teams get 15 practices...those not going to bowls get nada. This is one of the great inequities in college sports.

They should let teams that aren't bowl bound have an additional 15 practices through December 31st.

What about those teams that are passed up by all the postseason basketball tournaments? Should they get extra practice time. What about those teams that don't make the CWS? Frozen Four? Volleyball tournament? etc.

I'm just asking for consistency is all. If the NU volleyball team makes it to the NCAA final four, that'll be roughly three more weeks of games and practices compared to Iowa, which did not make the tournament. That's about the same amount of time for teams that didn't make a bowl game, and those playing in bowl games before or around Christmas.

I'm just asking for consistency is all. If the NU volleyball team makes it to the NCAA final four, that'll be roughly three more weeks of games and practices compared to Iowa, which did not make the tournament. That's about the same amount of time for teams that didn't make a bowl game, and those playing in bowl games before or around Christmas.

...actually you made a perfect argument. I agree entirely.

That's why making it to a bowl has always been so important for our program. Also why we should always be excited about NU making it to a bowl game. The extra practices are crucial for such a young teams like ours.

I don't disagree that the extra practice time together with the coaches provides some value, but I don't believe it is a huge inequity. While teams in the post-season are practicing together, teams that are not in the post-season have the opportunity to:
- Get a head start on off-season conditioning
- They can certainly work out together.....seven on seven drills and such things in football, and similar things in other sports
- Extra focus on schoolwork and final exams to get a leg up there
- Coaches have more time to recruit

I would say it makes more sense in football than in any other sport. When you go directly from the end of your season into the postseason (basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc.) the emphasis of practice is more to prepare for your next opponent. Thus, you don't get to spend a ton of "extra" time on fundamentals, especially with your younger players. In football, you can spend practice time solely with your backups and/or younger players, and that is what makes bowl practices so valuable. Of course, that isn't as true if your bowl game is December 15th.

My guess is that sports other than football would have very little interest in practicing once their season is over. The dynamics of the team are so different than football, and the rules for practicing in the offseason are different as well. Basketball teams can "practice" during the summer now, so who knows how much interest they would have in practice after playing 30+ regular season games and practicing/playing for 4 months.

I wouldn't call this a great inequity.

Now, if they expanded the "playoff" to 8 or 16 teams, there would be an inequity. The teams that go to the NC game would get many more practices than those eliminated in the 1st round (or non-qualifiers). Another reason not to have a huge playoff field.

Last edited:
Nearly half of all FBS teams make some sort of bowl game. You have to try really hard not to make a bowl game. Florida did not make one this year ... off the top of your head what other MAJOR program did not make a bowl game? Penn State does not count because they are being punished. IMO we should stop trying to make everything equal. Instead of a 4 team playoff why not a 64 or 128 team playoff so that no one has hurt feelings? NU has been to a bowl game every year for the last 10 years (but once) and I'm not sure you can say it has benefitted us that dramatically as opposed to someone else!

I'm not very familiar with bowl preparation. Are practices a less physical because the players are recovering from the regular season? Is the main benefit to give younger players extra practice snaps (as indicated earlier in this thread)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back