• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Oklahoma State comprehensive football thread

The question is how much more would the committee have valued a win over top 10 Baylor, rather than a top 25 Houston. I agree with your assessment, but I don't know if the Committee would have acted the same way. They've been reluctant to give non-Power 5s love since the inception of the playoff.
The only thing to really argue about this year was whether to seed Alabama or Michigan #1. They did what I figured they would do.

The only thing to really argue about this year was whether to seed Alabama or Michigan #1. They did what I figured they would do.
Yes, with Alabama winning, that made the conversation less complicated.

Ultimately, the Committee didn't want a SEC title rematch in the Semis. So the question was more whether you ranked Bama-1 and Georgia-3 or Bama-2 and Georgia-4. I have no issues with the way the teams were ranked; although, I don't think Bama has played like the best team in the country.

Really it was 7 tries from the 1 if you include the possession they had before that one where they had to settle for the FG. Great job by the Baylor defense, but if you are OSU you've got to be able to punch it in from there.

Heartbreaking way to lose. Would have been interesting to see what the Committee would have done had they won. My assumption was if OSU won they'd bump out Cincinnati.

yes, wasn't the best night for OSU. They actually haven't played great the last three games. Need to get it together for the Irish.

Indeed it did. It also took 4 years for that defense to get like that, really good. He’ll have much to work with at OSU.

One of the wonders of the really good head coaches is, how they continuously replenish departing assistants with more quality assistants. It’s a huge part of what makes them “good”.

Gundy’s been at it 17 years.

Last edited:
One of the wonders of the really good head coaches is, how they continuously replenish departing assistants with more quality assistants. It’s a huge part of what makes them “good”.

Gundy’s been at it 17 years.
When the Big 12 gets their money cut on the next tv deal they’re going to have a hard time paying good assistant coaches. They couldn’t even come close to matching Ohio States offer to Knowles. Heard Ohio State offed $2 million to Pokey States $800,000. Boone’s money is gone and things are about about to change for the Cowboys.

Last edited:

When the Big 12 gets their money cut on the next tv deal they’re going to have a hard time paying good assistant coaches. They couldn’t even come close to matching Ohio States offer to Knowles. Heard Ohio State offed $2 million to Pokey States $800,000. Boone’s money is gone and things are about about to change for the Cowboys.
Sadly, hard to argue.

Gundy is smart enough to realize he's at a place where expectations are reasonable. That has likely factored into his decision to remain in Stillwater. In that regard, he's the opposite of Dan Mullen.

It will be interesting to view the reconfigured Big XII after the new teams have been members for several years. As long as the Big XII continues to have an opportunity to compete for a spot in the CFP, the incoming members (BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF) should help that conference. For the most part, they haven't been able to compete against other P5 programs (recruiting, media rights $$$), but that will gradually change once they're in the Big XII.

time will tell. But back on topic, Gundy does more with less than probably any coach in college football.
BCA03551-8058-4F45-92CF-E4DD38214DB2.jpeg

Osu’s future.

Gundy is smart enough to realize he's at a place where expectations are reasonable. That has likely factored into his decision to remain in Stillwater. In that regard, he's the opposite of Dan Mullen.

It will be interesting to view the reconfigured Big XII after the new teams have been members for several years. As long as the Big XII continues to have an opportunity to compete for a spot in the CFP, the incoming members (BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF) should help that conference. For the most part, they haven't been able to compete against other P5 programs (recruiting, media rights $$$), but that will gradually change once they're in the Big XII.
Go to Orangepower.com and see how reasonable they are.

If you look at the financial health of the new institutions, Cincinnati and BYU have $1.4 and 2 billion endowments, respectively. Not chump change. Heck, Cincy's endowment is near UNL's. Houston's is about $1 billion, while UCF's is a shockingly low $162 million. The only addition that I question is UCF. But they didn't ask my opinion.

Excluding OU, the Big 12 with their new additions has 5 teams ranked in the top 25 of college football. Any idea that this isn't still a P5 conference is laughable. Compare that to the SEC - 6 teams, B1G - 5 teams, ACC - 3 teams, and PAC 12 - 2 teams. So the Big 12 minus OU is tied with the B1G for the second most teams in the top 25.

Decent company I would say.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back