• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The OC we need

ThrowFar60

Scout Team
5 Year Member
No smoke, and no rumors. Just had a chance to watch Kent State play Miami (OH) today, and was beyond impressed with their scheme. It seemed all game like they ran the offense that Scott Frost has been trying to run for the past 4 years.

I did a little bit of digging, and their OC Andrew Sowder is an Art Briles disciple. Since he’s been the OC their rankings have been as follows:

Total Offense:
2018: 82nd (383/game)
2019: 66th (405/game)
2020: 1st (606/game) shortened season
2021: 12th (476/game)

Scoring offense:
2018: 103rd (23.9/game)
2019: 63rd (29.2/game)
2020: 1st (49.8/game) shortened season
2021: 42nd (32.1/game)

Found a clip on YouTube with someone who breaks down Sowders concepts for you X’s and O’s type guys. I really like his title, “The best offense you’ve never heard of.”

Today they beat Miami (OH) and put up 48 points and 642 yards of total offense.

Zero ties to Frost that I could find, but after watching our game yesterday and watching Kent State today and doing some research on Sowder, he absolutely popped up on my radar as OC’s to watch in upcoming years.

Pal you see where our current group of 5 coaches have us?
Ugh.. I’ll pass on another.

Last edited:
There are several strong G5 coordinators right now, Sowder definitely being one of them. Good find. This is a high risk role for 22 though. If it doesn't work quickly, they could be looking at a new job by the end of next year. This might be the path we have to go down in order to get someone to come here but I am confident Frost/Alberts will lean toward someone with experience doing this at a bigger program before.

Wish he would've gone after guys like this 2 years ago when he pulled his buddy off the credit union desk instead.

Last edited:

There are several strong P5 coordinators right now, Sowder definitely being one of them. Good find. This is a high risk role for 22 though. If it doesn't work quickly, they could be looking at a new job by the end of next year. This might be the path we have to go down in order to get someone to come here but I am confident Frost/Alberts will lean toward someone with experience doing this at a bigger program before.

Wish he would've gone after guys like this 2 years ago when he pulled his buddy off the credit union desk instead.
Danny Langsdorf and Kevin Cosgrove were long time Power 5 coordinators. Look at what a guy does and talk to him. Everyone starts somewhere.
Danny Langsdorf and Kevin Cosgrove were long time Power 5 coordinators. Look at what a guy does and talk to him. Everyone starts somewhere.
Ok pal I’ll give him a shot.

David Cutcliffe just "mutually agreed to part ways" with Duke. Cutcliffe would bring the kind of QB development Nebraska desperately needs.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back