• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The most unlikely staff member

HCMR's emphasis on excellent OL and DL performance is well documented since his hire. We'll have to trust that whoever his choice is will yield the results he expects. As stated, perhaps there were factors (beyond DR's control) that kept DR from advancing the OL further/faster.

But ya still feel like…
F17BA234-8B4C-48E3-A51B-CDB9D4242983.jpeg

Last edited:

I expect good stuff from the o line regardless of who the coach is.
The headcoach has coached this position group and is a known micromanager.......not worried in the least.

Maybe we flip his 5 star nephew.

In my purview, OL Coach 'Donnie', seems to fit HC Rhule's philosophy: build a coaching staff of younger, aggressive guys that played at fairly high levels for P5 programs, coached at P5 college programs, and have some NFL Coaching experience.

Donnie knows who and what he has, and may be in a better position to craft a credible OL room more quickly than starting from scratch with a new coach.

Time will certainly tell. I think Bill Busch earned serious consideration and I don't believe he received any. Recruit and current player exodus is in full swing and the worst we've ever experienced. Obviously transfer rules plays a large factor, but doesn't matter.

Would like to see a comparison of other teams who've recently switched coaches and experienced fallout.

Good players make good coaches. They were not good players. Raiola had them less than a year, did't recruit them, and it's not Raiola's fault that they were big lumbering slow guys. At least he reduced the number of penalties, which does point out coaching.

Absolutely a good decision. Listen to those who played for him and you'll find he was a good teacher, but OL positions and changes in how they do things cannot be accomplished in that chaos around this program this last year. I think he will be outstanding and after a couple of years we will be hard pressed to keep him.

Good choice.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back