• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The end of college football

https://www.espn.com/chalk/insider/story/_/id/27862486/best-bets-week-8-college-football-games

It seems our politicians want to ruin football too and make a stupid California law national. There is no way that high profile players at places like Alabama won't make more money than someone playing at BYU. They say they want to put "guardrails" in place to prevent any negative consequences. Really? That's exactly what I want.....government control of college football's negative consequences. So at what point will a female point guard at South Dakota state demand to make equal pay and endorsements from the point guard at Kansas? These are public institutions that will be subject to any fairness or equity suit any students wants to apply to it once the government gets involved. It makes you wonder if we aren't climbing an uphill battle at Nebraska that will never get better no matter how good of a job that SF does.
There will be no equity. It will impossible to police.

I get a kick out of this discussion every time it comes up. The NCAA is a cartel. It's real role is to oversee the collusion of university athletic departments, whose goal is to maximize revenue and suppress the wages of its captive labor force.

I assume all you conservative, anti-government types don't like cartels? Basically what we have here is the actual government telling a quasi-government institution to free up the market for player compensation. We take issue with it because we are fans and like the status quo, but it takes serious mental gymnastics to defend the NCAA's practices.

If any of you would be fine getting paid the equivalent of about $50k per year when your market value without labor price fixing would be at minimum 4 times that amount, then I guess you have the high ground.

College football frankly ended when the conferences made TV deals worth billions of dollars. Those dollars flowed almost entirely to coaches, admins and facilities because the NCAA won't allow it to go to players. A system with coaches getting $5 million and the players getting "meal money and a warm bed" was never going to last.

https://www.espn.com/chalk/insider/story/_/id/27862486/best-bets-week-8-college-football-games

It seems our politicians want to ruin football too and make a stupid California law national. There is no way that high profile players at places like Alabama won't make more money than someone playing at BYU. They say they want to put "guardrails" in place to prevent any negative consequences. Really? That's exactly what I want.....government control of college football's negative consequences. So at what point will a female point guard at South Dakota state demand to make equal pay and endorsements from the point guard at Kansas? These are public institutions that will be subject to any fairness or equity suit any students wants to apply to it once the government gets involved. It makes you wonder if we aren't climbing an uphill battle at Nebraska that will never get better no matter how good of a job that SF does.
I would like the college players who graduate after playing at least three years get a share of the gate and any TV profits in a check. It would also be helpful to pay at least ten years of medical insurance for sports related injuries.

I'm against this idea because there's absolutely NO way to insure fairness to all schools. Some think it's ok to turnover to private companies which schools/players will make big bucks while other schools/athletes make almost nothing? Companies like Nike, Adidas, Sony etc will decide which athletes at what schools make how much money? Nike might say it's going concentrate on athetes playing at Oregon but not Oregon State? That should work out great for Oregon with droves of 5 star recuits signing on the dotted line. Other schools in that area not so much.

If this actually is found to be legal after going through adjudication I'll be finished watching with all college sports. I'm an NFL fan so I'll simply no longer care about college athletics end of story.

Last edited:
NFL: didn't watch it at all for the last 20 years or so.

CFB: In football season, I tuned it from Saturday 11:00AM to midnight. Thursday & Friday evenings too.

Those of you that support paying players make valid points but is paying college athletes the solution? I think if you want to run it as a business with the players being the paid employee's then I'd suggest the proper solution is to eliminate college sports completely. Have colleges focus on education and let athletes go into whatever business venture hires them. They can compete with the NFL for fans and revenue.

And if any of them want a college education then they can pay for it like everyone else.

Last edited:
My daughter is doing an unpaid internship for a company that makes a lot of money. Not sure what the difference is. Sometimes you work for people that make money and you don't. My daughter is not getting 100k worth of education or more, doesn't get free trips or 2k stipend just because, she doesn't get medical care and she doesn't get all her meals paid for. The players are whinning up the wrong tree.

As a former Husker, I can say that the doors that opened for me by simply being a Husker, are worth far more than they ever could have paid me while an athlete.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back